When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is this thing?

llsteve80

It looks SORT OF like a late 60's 808. However, the dial is one that I am not familiar with (missing a few markings) and the movement doesn't look right either... should be a Breitling/WOG signed Venus 175... Case back is odd as well.

It's looks similar to a 175, but not right. Thinking about other possibles (from the 2 sub dials) if it were a fake.. It's definitely not a Val 92 or 7734 or a Strella 3017...

Not saying it's not real, just saying that too many things don't look right... It could very well be one of the most rare 808's there ever was... but I'm not feeling it.

Probably worth it if it doesn't go too high, just remember old chronos are EXPENSIVE to fix...

@ Potr: I cant find any 808's that look like that either. I don't want to spend too much on a broken rep, then again, if that thing is as old as it looks, most reps of those days were quartz. How high is too high anyway?

@Nanuq: Hands are that hard to find?

Here's a few similar things:

The movement looks like this one when I looked at it for 30 sec:

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page3/bre...omat217012.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BREITLING-CHRO...2QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, this could be fun, I'll place a bid and not worry about it. I just hope I didn't spur some competition by posting this thread! :p

A redial for sure... That "B" is off. For some reason there are a lot of redialed vintage Breitlings on the Bay, but whoever makes them, never get the B right.

Also, the caseback is not original, it has the later winged Breitling logo, which were not used until late 70ties...

"Rust on the movement", a redial, no crown/ pushers and a most likely worthless caseback.. Red flag from me..

@ Potr: I cant find any 808's that look like that either. I don't want to spend too much on a broken rep, then again, if that thing is as old as it looks, most reps of those days were quartz. How high is too high anyway?

@Nanuq: Hands are that hard to find?

Here's a few similar things:

The movement looks like this one when I looked at it for 30 sec:

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page3/bre...omat217012.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BREITLING-CHRO...2QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, this could be fun, I'll place a bid and not worry about it. I just hope I didn't spur some competition by posting this thread! tongue.gif

Those are Venus 175 movements. As I said, the one in the auction looks SIMILAR TO a 175, as the positions of all the major "wheels" is the same across the middle and bottom of the movement.

However, if you look at the movement in the other auction, almost straight up from the balance on the 175 (between 12 & 1, remember this is the back...) you'll see the notched, ratchet-looking teeth of the COLUMN WHEEL, intersected with several levers and brakes.

Look across from the balance to the same position on the broke chrono auction and you will see NO COLUMN WHEEL, if there is one, it is covered, and therefore the configuration of the levers and brakes at the top of the movement is completely different.

As for the hands question (sorry for squeezing in Nanuq)... Hands (and winding crowns) are a lot easier to find than replacement parts for antique chrono movements.

As for a bidding war... I put a $20 bid on it to keep track of it... (yeah, watching too many items, I just put small bids on everything to keep off that ceiling.. if I were going to go after it (and I'm not planning on it - yet, but would let you know if I decided to), I wouldn't pay much more than $40-50, knowing it will be big out of pocket to make it fly again...)

@POTR

I don't know how you can just see all that stuff, then again, you probably don't have ADD. I still haven't bid yet, I'll wait to the last day and if it's under 50 then I'll bother. I dont want to pay more than 50 either, well 85 with shipping. Might be rep, no hands, crown or pushers, and no band.....whew. Don't worry about letting me know if your bidding, I'm leaning more towards no go on this one, too many variables.

BTW, I see you're from Seattle, I haven't visited there in a while but I do like it. Most of my fam out there lives on Whidbey Island if you ever heard of it.

Check it out, I asked him about the watch and this is what he said:

Hi,

What movement is that in there?

And what model number is the watch?

Thank you,

Steve

Hi,

i m not exactly sure about that,so i better not telling u the answer and i can't see any number behind the case back,probrably 188...very sorry for that..anyway,thanks for your interest..