When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Same issue with 2 ETA Watches

rogerthat

Hopefully I am just an idiot and someone can help me with this issue.

Just opened up a new package from Silix/Jay ; inside are 2 beauties:

Breitling SFSO (Blue Dial / ETA Swiss Version)

VC Overseas (Black Dial / ETA)

Cosmetically they are both perfect, I was very happy with the VC Overseas, as I had heard of gap issues, rough edges, bracelet screw issues.

Been playing with it for a couple of hours and have no problems with the little screws, haven't stripped one yet...

Edges are not rough, no gap on bracelt, everything flawless, AR is great and very noticable.

Caution for the VC: bracelet will not fit very large wrists.

At first I removed 1 link becuase I thought I would have to, went fine, but then that was too tight and put the removed link back so I needed no adjustment from supplied.

Not sure how large my wrists are, but for point of comparison, I removed 2 links from the SFSO bracelet - which I thought was quite large.

If you have larger wrists than me, the VC Overseas bracelet may be too small for you!!!

Ok, now finally to my issue.

When I set the time everything is fine, when I set the date everything is fine.

When I try to push down and screw in the crown ; the crown screws down but changes the date on me.

Same exact problem on both watches, what am I doing wrong?

Sometimes 1 day moves, sometimes 2 ; sometimes 1 1/2 which is the worst of course.

Cheers,

M

You can't start screwing it back until its fully in. When it's at the time-setting position, push it back (without twisting) as far as possible, then press it in gently, and only then start to turn. I have a feeling you're just screwing it in too early and thus the date gets changed prematurely. Do NOT screw it back in until the crown is PUSHED as far as possible towards the watch itself.

The chances of the exact same mechanical defect in two different watches... you have more luck to win the lottery... which is why I think it's something you're doing wrong. At least that's my opinion.

Good luck!

Edited by Corgi

I have a simiar problem on an old rolly rep that could do with a longer stem, i find that pressing the crown in once letting go and pressing again to get it to the winding position helps, just try to feel the two clicks as it goes in. One of the problems with sprung stems i have found.

When I set the time everything is fine, when I set the date everything is fine.

When I try to push down and screw in the crown ; the crown screws down but changes the date on me.

Same exact problem on both watches, what am I doing wrong?

Sometimes 1 day moves, sometimes 2 ; sometimes 1 1/2 which is the worst of course.

Are you able to manually wind the watches? It is in the winding position that you should be able to screw the down the crown.

Thanks all for the replies:

dachshund: I do think the stems are too short, but as corgi mentioned it is a strange concidence though that I would have the same exact problem on 2 totally different brand new watches though.

I tried the tip from FxrAndy, but it still does not work for me, I cannot get to the 2nd click location unless I start pushing and screwing at the same time with enough force and this then also changes the date before it gets me down far enough to not move the date any longer?

Currently I only have the SFSO in front of me, and I think the problem is more pronounced on the SFSO, maybe his tip will work on the VC Overseas.

below is a more detailed explanation of the issue.

There does not seem to be a well functioning winding click position for the stem or enough room on the stem to get to this.

For example:

If I pull it all the out, it will allow me to set the time.

If I push in 1 click, it will allow me to set the date

Above is all perfect.

However, I then should be able to push in 1 more click and then wind the movement and/or screw in the screw down crown.

BUT, on both watches it will not push in another click and I must screw down while in date position, therefore I end up changing the date a couple of days ahead when I am trying to screw down the crown?

Every heard of this issue? Any suggestions? I was thinking of applying some lubricant carefully to the stem with a Q-Tip?

When I unscrew the watch I can then wind it without going it to the date click, but not on the way in only on the way out.

If the winding stem is too short what are my options, how easy a fix for a watch repair type guy?

I really don't to go the return route on these watches.

This is such a bummer, becuase both of these watches are cosmetically PERFECT!

Maybe it is me, I am not always the brightest bulb.

Cheers,

M

A longer stem would help by the sounds of it, should be an easy fix for any watch repair shop, you might just be able to screw the crown off a couple of turns and thread lock it in position so that the stem is that 0.3 t0 0.5mm longer, I would find a shop to look at it unless you have a little adventureous streak in you, i leant a bit that way, but i would not want to do it to 2 very nice new watches.

If you are unable to manually wind the movement then I say you HAVE won the lottery. Return the watches for a refund...an exchange might not solve the problem because more than likely he will just send you watches from the same manufacturer (Drop ship?)....both watches probably come from the same manufacturer and this is an issue they have not caught onto yet....there could be hundreds of watches out there with the same problem....you have GOT to be able to get the crown into the winding position....if you cannot....there is definitely a problem....not worth the money, time or effort to repair imho....

Since mreynolds is able to manually wind the watch when he unscrews the crown, it would appear that the stem is indeed long enough. When you push the crown in from the date setting position, you won't hear a third click as it goes into the winding position. As you slowly pull it out from the winding position you should feel two clicks before you are in the time setting position. Before you send the watches back or out for repair, pull the crown to the time setting position, push the crown firmly all the way down. Once there, press the crown until you can feel it spring back a couple of times. You should now be in the winding position. Good luck and I hope that this solves you problem.

I do appreciate all replies.

As jdavis states I can wind the watch manually when I unscrew the crownitis in thw winding position and I have to pull out 1 click for the date.

When pushing back down however I cannot get to this winding position, at least not without turning the crown as well as pushing down.

From the time setting position, if I push in hard I get to thedate setting position, from this position if I just push and don't turn;

it doesn't move and will spring back at this point.

anyone think lubrication would do anything?

Cheers,

M

.... I can wind the watch manually when I unscrew the crownitis in thw winding position and I have to pull out 1 click for the date.

When pushing back down however I cannot get to this winding position, at least not without turning the crown as well as pushing down.

From the time setting position, if I push in hard I get to thedate setting position, from this position if I just push and don't turn;

it doesn't move and will spring back at this point.

anyone think lubrication would do anything?

Cheers,

M

Following on from all that has been said, I think that the stem is just marginally too short. Consider the problem like this;

When a sprung crown is initially unscrewed it 'pops out' to its full extension in the winding position, then is pulled out once to change the date and twice to set the time. Next, to reverse the procedure and screw the crown into place it has to be pushed in twice, to return to the winding position. Now if the sprung extension of the crown has a greater 'travel' than the gap distance between each of the 3 positions (hand setting / date setting / winding) then the crown itself is absorbing the pressure that should be transmitted through the stem into the keyless works. If this is the case then pushing the crown in the first time, to get from the hand setting to date position, probably means that the crown is being pushed almost into contact with the tube already. Then it becomes impossible to get to the winding position because the travel within the crown is greater than the remaining distance between the crown and tube, and the resistance of the spring within the crown is less than within the keyless works.

What's the solution? Simply a longer stem, a shorter tube or a crown with less 'travel'. Lubrication won't help. It's almost certainly a mismatch between the sprung length of the crown and the overall length of the stem and the tube. In most of my watches (rep and gen) it's not normally possible to return from hand setting to date setting in one step. Pressure on the crown normally results in jumping straight to the winding position unless I am being really careful about advancing the crown inwards.

I had the exact problem with an Explorer II, no matter what i tried, screwing the crown in would change the date. The workaround I used was to set the date 2 days in advance, and then screw the crown in, which would turn the date wheel a couple of clicks and land on the correct date.

I never thought of the possibility that the stem was too short, I simply figured that the movement was a POS.

I do not want to give you any reason for concern, but the movement eventually let go all together. I brought it to my watchsmith and he stated that the movement ate itself due to lack of lubrication.

Kindeat regards,

Robb AKA Flamemax.