When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT missing "Officially Certified"

Nightstroker

There is a jewelry store not far from my house that is selling what they say is a genuine 2006 GMT Master II with red/black bezel....I held it in my hand for a few minutes today....the CGs are perfect....bezel feels amazing when rotated....everything is perfect except for one thing....it does not say "Officially Certified" on the dial anywhere....I have never seen a GMT without this below the "Superlative Chronometer" line....the watch looks like this....

I made this photo to show you guys what the watch LOOKS like....this is not the actual watch....just a representation

funnyGMT.JPG

They are asking $4400....she is supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know if the owner is willing to drop the price....of course they do not know that I have noticed this major issue....

Edited by Nightstroker

OK well this is interesting.

Like all GMTs from the 6542 onwards, the 16710 is an officially certified (COSC-rated in modern times) chronometer. Fact.

Lack of precedent or not, there's no logical or rationale reason for the dial (and by inference, the movement) to be rated as a chronometer without the addendum of official certification. Contrary to popular belief not all Rolex movts submitted pass COSC inspection, but those that fail are sent back time and ime again until they pass, like the bar exam if you like. COSC-rating is for marketing purposes only nothing to do with accuracy as such. So there's no way Rolex would highlight the fact on a dial unless. Even the non-COSC movt used in say the 14060M (no-date Sub) has recently been upgraded and had BOTH lines of text added to its dial accordingly.

My advice? Crack the caseback to see what's in there. And get a 10x or 25x loupe to take a good closeup look at the dial.

I'm pretty sure the pic he posted is one HE edited as an example of the one in the store. For illustration purposes only... If it is missing that text it's either a rep, a redial or a highly collectible genuine mis-printed dial.. very rare.

That would be a very collectible dial indeed. I have never seen this before.

Nightstroker, sorry for my misunderstanding. The only sport models that I'm aware of without the "Officially Certified" are the 5513, 14060 & 14060M. Perhaps you can post photos of the watch you're looking into which would be a big help.

If in any doubt, walk away. As I mentioned above, you can purchase new for $4475 from a very reputable grey market dealer.

Okay get this.....

I went down to the jewelry store today to take some pics of the watch for you guys and guess what....THEY SWITCHED WATCHES ON ME!!!!

Here is what is in their display case now.....

The triangle on the bezel does not align straight at 12:00

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

DSC00082.JPG

I am NOT losing my mind....I know damn well that the watch had only 2 lines of text below the hand stack yesterday....obviously they got a little excited that someone was showing an interest in the watch....for whatever reason....they switched em up on me....wont be doing business with these guys

I'd ask them outright. Fine if they've pulled it from sale then that's their right to do so, but would still want to know about that dial. For your own sanity if nothing else :D

I did ask her if it was the same watch and she said it was....she is lying....there is no way that I would make a mistake like that....the 2 lines of text really caught my attention and I went home shortly thereafter and immediately started looking at pics on the internet....sucks that ive made myself look like an ass....im sure you are thinking that more than likely I just wasn't paying close enough attention to detail and thought I saw something that I didn't....I am totally [censored]....those mother fu--ers....untrustworthy bastards....switching a watch on me....total [censored]....I will go back into the store a couple of months from now and see if they switched em back....

No such thing as a GMT released into the wild without COSC certification.

Stay away from sapphire GMTs - they are nothing special. Do buy 6542, 1675 or 16750 ---> all 3 are very special and will only increase in value!

Also, never buy from a liar. But you know this already.

Cheers

...the 2 lines of text really caught my attention and I went home shortly thereafter and immediately started looking at pics on the internet....sucks that ive made myself look like an ass....im sure you are thinking that more than likely I just wasn't paying close enough attention to detail and thought I saw something that I didn't...

It's what camera-phones are invented for. "Oh, excuse me, I've just got an important message ..." <pulls out phone> <click>

Stay away from sapphire GMTs - they are nothing special. Do buy 6542, 1675 or 16750 ---> all 3 are very special and will only increase in value!

Dear Father Nanuq and Brother Euno,

You guys know I'm a vintage GMT guy through and through, right? But just lately I've also been having impure thoughts about a modern GMT.

Yes, it has a (*gulp*) sapphire crystal.

I know I should feel ashamed but I can't help it. I keep seeing it, and the other week I actually got to touch it - it's ceramic insert and chunky case are hard to resist, even the spring-loaded clasp gets me even though I know it's the Devils' handiwork.

Is it too late? What can I do to stop it? Is there any salvation for me? Apart from selling one of my kidneys to buy that 6542 that is?

:unsure:

It's ok, my friend. The GMT-II is a great watch. It's just not the same thing as, say, a 1675.

GMT-I:

side1zv7.jpg

GMT-II:

lfbirdyj8.jpg

Personally, the 2003 330i is as ubiquitous as the GMT-II...

But, the 1973 3.0 CSi is rare, gorgeous and a head turner - just like the GMT-I.

It all depends on how you like to roll.

Cheers