When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dweller - Single Red, Double Red, Great White

Stephane

sorry guys - this hole caseback discussion is so far beyond my imagination :lol:

what exactly is the point to put and seek an other caseback than the stock MBW one ?

please explain it to me :)

The MBW caseback is good but not perfect (slightly inaccurate shape & text engraving), which leaves room for improvement as better mods and/or parts come along. Of course, these are mostly details that only a Rolex collector or neurotic WIS like us would appreciate. But if your goal is reproducing a gen with 100% accuracy (which is the goal of most WIS types), then everything is up for grabs.

but you lost me already at the changing of the endlinks ... this is also something i can never ever understand ;)

why don't you case about the huge flaws of the dial or datewheel first ? LOL

The order of improvements is usually governed by when the 'tools' become available to make those improvements. As better mods & parts are discovered, they get added to the mix.

1570drsdproject0121.jpg

That's a very nice dial sir. But the hand, please get rid of it. :)

What is the problem with my custom seconds hand? ;)

Actually, the dial & hands have been relumed since that picture was taken & I am just waiting on a couple more parts to arrive before final assembly.

@ freddy ... is that a NDT dial ... i like the colour of that red fonts ...

No, this is the dial I picked up on ebay (I posted a mini-review of it a few months ago). The 1st aftermarket that comes believably close to passing for a gen. Unfortunately, the seller got it from a friend who told him it was a 'one-off' & he has not posted or sold another since. I would love to get a 2nd dial (& I have received a number of requests from other members as well), but I have not found yet been able to locate the source.

What caught my eye when I saw this dial is that the crown & text are nearly a dead-on replication of the 1st generation DRSD dial. Much better than the MBW dials. The lume has been re-done since the pictures were taken, but here is a 1st generation gen DRSD dial (with faded red lettering) for comparison

DRSDMKIdial.jpg

Here is the dial next to my NDT (which is for sale by the way)

precious_vs_ndtrading0131.jpg