When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 112 Won't Wind

Victoria

Since I have limited experience with hand-wound watches, please advise:

I obviously overwound it, because it simply will not wind anymore. Movement has stopped. Last wind-up was earlier last night, at 6 PM, when I gave it the usual 60 winds.

I will take it to the watchsmith tomorrow, but what am I looking at in terms of service? A stuck crown, a broken stem, etc.? Is this usually costly?

Thanks (again!) for any advice. :wounded1:

Sounds like a bad watch. What you need to do is spank it and tell it "Bad watch, very bad watch". It should start ticking again, other than that a watch that is over wound will cost about a hundred bucks to fix, more or less.

I think I sussed it out. The dagger wotsit is sitting on top of the regulateur, right?

casebackpam112redqn7.jpg

EDIT: Compare the DSN Fiddy dagger. It is not "sitting" over the regulateur blade, but next to it.

casebackfiddywh3.jpg

(Please let me know if I have the terms right!)

UPDATE: I gently unscrewed the exposition caseback, using my bare fingers, and very gingerly adjusted that blade. Here is a shot without the crystal glare, for your reference.

casebackregulateurfixedtp0.jpg

Unfortunately, my hunch was wrong. It's a stem issue, I'm guessing.

I've popped back the rubber seal, and closed the caseback.

UPDATE #2: It's running since closing the caseback. I'll check it in the morning, but I think I fixed it...I'm going to stay humble, because I did so completely by fluke, and I could've effed up my precious DSN 112.

I'm just happy it's running again, so in case this happens to you, check the dagger wotsit.

Guest watchbuff

V

So sorry. I am not sure what you can do and if a watchsmith will work on it without getting a bill that exceeds the price of the watch. If it cost's as much as the watch, get a new one from Davidesen, you might get a break as a repeat customer. Sell the "busted one" to offset the cost.

Wish I could help more.

If it will run on its front and not on its back it could be a loose cap jewel resticting the balence movement, but the way you have described it it sownds like some thing stopping the power from the main spring geting through the movement.

Have you tried releasing the main spring pressure?, Open the crown guard, move the ratchet click (the bit that locks the main spring gear) so that the gear is free to rotate and while alowing the crown to rotate in your fingers alow the spring pressure to release. If fully wound the crown will spin 60 odd times untill fully unwound, Have a good look inside especialy in the area of the palet wheel and balence for any loose items like palet jewels, if it is all clear give it a couple of turns on the crown and see what happens

post-1258-1194095728_thumb.jpg

If it will run on its front and not on its back it could be a loose cap jewel resticting the balence movement, but the way you have described it it sownds like some thing stopping the power from the main spring geting through the movement.

Have you tried releasing the main spring pressure?, Open the crown guard, move the ratchet click (the bit that locks the main spring gear) so that the gear is free to rotate and while alowing the crown to rotate in your fingers alow the spring pressure to release. If fully wound the crown will spin 60 odd times untill fully unwound, Have a good look inside especialy in the area of the palet wheel and balence for any loose items like palet jewels, if it is all clear give it a couple of turns on the crown and see what happens

Oh Jesus, FxrAndy. I'm desperate enough to try this right now. Let me comprehend what you are describing by trying it...

Be back.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!

@Ryyannon: Yes it's something like that (or was, when I "fixed" it). It ran either face up or face down, but not both. Face down being more logical, so I'll say that.

UPDATE: Oh God, I dunno. Not only did I not know what a ratchet click was (looked up in TZ) but I realised, where will I get a peg wood? I have Sushi chopsticks.

I'll bollox this up, I think...

ratchetclickvi0.jpg

Never thought of sending it back Vic? It might work for now but it will definately won't be problem free for many years :)

Sure. I told Davidsen that last night, via PM. Didn't reply, but at least he's aware of the situation.

@Estaban: 30-35 winds?? God, I've been doing 60 every night. With 60, it gives you a day and a bit power reserve. I obviously have to adjust that tendency.

Just for future reference:

It's running again.

I AGAIN jimmied with the dagger. Gently touched each side below in red, and it sprung to life. It's been running since, whether on its back or front. I have the Crown Guard off still, just in case.

EDIT For FxrAndy: I gently shook it over white paper. Nothing was loose, or looked loose.

So whatever it is, I think the problem is partly there. Obviously, still taking it to the watchsmith, ASAP.

casebackregulateurfixedra3.jpg

The whole swan neck should be lower .. if you see it sits higher than the bridge and it creates a small black gap.

Can you give me a visual for that? Is this something the watchsmith can fix? (I really don't want to send this back to China).

I think I know what you mean, though. It's not "looped" around the dagger low enough.

EDIT: Okay, I see it. Nice quality control...

casebackregulateurfixedxp1.jpg

Can you give me a visual for that? Is this something the watchsmith can fix? (I really don't want to send this back to China).

I think I know what you mean, though. It's not "looped" around the dagger low enough.

CHeck my photo above.. Yes this is exactly what i am saying

Sure. I told Davidsen that last night, via PM. Didn't reply, but at least he's aware of the situation.

@Estaban: 30-35 winds?? God, I've been doing 60 every night. With 60, it gives you a day and a bit power reserve. I obviously have to adjust that tendency.

I'm getting about 36 hours out of my 35 winds. Maybe my wind is a bit more than a full turn.

S

I'm getting about 36 hours out of my 35 winds. Maybe my wind is a bit more than a full turn.

Hmm, I give it short turns, and FAST. Maybe that's not so good. I remember my grandfather (the watch fanatic) SLOWLY winding his watch every night, on his bed. I must've thought that's because he was old. Not because he was deliberate and precise...

@V: Thanks! I saw instantly what you meant, but I never would've seen it if you hadn't pointed it out. You and FxrAndy are wonderful watchsmiths. :)

UPDATE: Watch stopped again. It had run flawlessly from 12:46 to 1:20 to the dot, both on its front or back. I'll stop boring you now. Thanks guys!

I am sure that any good watch smith will solve this one in a sec in his hands, the works is petty basic, leave it for now and take it in, failing that send it to canada, i doupt it will ever give you a heartbeats problem after it visits canada

Guest watchbuff

V

Sounds like something is restricting the movement somehow. A watchsmith should take acare of it relatively reasonably. IF it is keeping time exact and then just stopping it is being restricted. If it did not run at all then I would not have a clue whee to start.

BTW

VBarrett, love your "V" pic...took me back a few years

V

Sounds like something is restricting the movement somehow. A watchsmith should take acare of it relatively reasonably. IF it is keeping time exact and then just stopping it is being restricted. If it did not run at all then I would not have a clue whee to start.

Well, after 30 minutes, one of my mother's pricey watchsmiths fixed it for $50. Well, that also included regulating 3 other watches, and adjusting the links of 3 others, so not too bad. ;)

He was a Jewish gentleman with a thick accent, and took it out to the back of his shop, so I didn't see what he did. When I asked, he harrumphed, and explained it. Didn't understand a word.

WHATEVS. IT'S FIXED! Touch wood.

Not yours, FxrAndy.

VBarrett, love your "V" pic...took me back a few years

Thanks! Wow, it's been quite the success. I may keep it for oh, 3 days. ;)

@Kiki_HR: Yay!! I thought of you when he handed me the watch. Hope it works out too!

Glad to hear it worked out and at 50% of my estimate. I'm sure your big smile and long eyelashes helped significantly ;)