When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spring Forward, Fall Back

Victoria

Feta1's sad post reminded me that there is a time change tonight, in North America.

At 2:00 AM your local time, we'll go back one hour to 1:00 AM, wherever in the US and Canada you are.

FREEBIE INFO:

"Date change in 2007

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete."

I personally didn't like the earlier change at first, but as ever, I gradually began to see its benefits.

BTW, EU countries changed over last Sunday, IIRC.

And in Britain, we don't refer to Autumn as "Fall" (WTF), so Spring Forward, Fall Back doesn't work. :p

Correct.

However, I wonder what value daylight savings has in this day and age, remembering that the winter time is the actual time and the summer time is the adjusted time.

True enough. Its immediate advantages are more psychological, perhaps. BST always meant for me that we had sun until at least 9/10 PM -- always a plus for lazy village cricket matches.

I agree Pug. DST is outdated and unecessary these days. It's those bloody farmers <_< complaining that they have to get up in the dark to count the mountains of cash they receive from EU susbsidies to NOT milk their cows :rolleyes:

I'd happily trade BST for a sundown at 8-9pm during summer with winter light until 6-7pm.

p.s. VB - finally a decent avatar! I loved 'V' (the original not the crappy miniseries) - Diana was such an evil cow :lol:

True enough. Its immediate advantages are more psychological, perhaps. BST always meant for me that we had sun until at least 9/10 PM -- always a plus for lazy village cricket matches.

That conjures up images from The Man Who Made Husband's Jealous (novel, not dramatisation, of course) :lol: