When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which should I wear to Spain?

TeeJay

Both have plusses and minuses, and I really can't decide :wacko::blink:

The problem is that both are having to 'share' a caseback, so it's a case of one or the other...

45bd8c67.jpg

The 111h has been running strangely since I had the movement cleaned, but, always starts when wound, and has (touch wood) been running smoothly since I reclaimed it from the jeweller's this morning. The 111h can also accept the SS bracelet I bought specifically for this vacation so I could wear it while swimming.

74420373.jpg

The 029 has quickly established itself as a nice watch, but, it can't accept the SS bracelet. It ran smoothly for two days, but 'stalled' this morning. Neither winding nor shaking would start it, but, when I removed the back to test fit it on the 111h, I stroked the balance wheel with the strap screwdriver, and it started at once, and has been running smoothly ever since.

Now, before I got the 111h back, I was rather looking forward to using the GMT function while in Spain, but, I'm more concerned that should the 029 stop, too much tinkering near the balance wheel will completely [censored] up the movement, where all the 111h requires, is more winding, so potentially less maintenance and less chance of me accidentally damaging something...

Aesthetically, I like both watches, and prefer different things about each, although my fiance said that she prefers how the 029 looks.

So, any suggestions??

TIA :)

If I hadn't been so encumbered and sickly, you would've had that divers' strap. Sorry, TeeJay. :(

Tricky situation.

Both are or were a bit wonky mechanically. The PAM 029 is gorgeous, but lacks an SS bracelet for the swimming. The PAM 111 is more reliable and versatile, but isn't as dashing as the 029.

Ooh toughie. PAM 111h. Go for the practical, and anyway, it's STILL an extremely good-looking combo.

Me personally....If I were going to Spain I wouldnt spend much time hanging around the swimming pool....I would be taking advantage of my time there and be absorbing as much of Spain as possible....how much swimming are you gonna be doing anyway seriously???? Just wear the 029 and bring a cheap back up watch in case you have issues with the movement :D

If I hadn't been so encumbered and sickly, you would've had that divers' strap. Sorry, TeeJay. :(

Not a problem, and absolutely nothing to apologise for :)

Tricky situation.

Both are or were a bit wonky mechanically. The PAM 029 is gorgeous, but lacks an SS bracelet for the swimming. The PAM 111 is more reliable and versatile, but isn't as dashing as the 029.

Ooh toughie. PAM 111h. Go for the practical, and anyway, it's STILL an extremely good-looking combo.

This was pretty much my thinking too. One part of me is saying, had I not gone into the jeweller's today, I'd've worn the 029 (but, with the 'stall' taken into account, I might have just worn my Planet Ocean instead...) However, I think the 029 has the potential to a more catastrophic failure should it 'stall' again, where the 111h I can just keep winding. (and of course, I can wear the 111h on the leather strap (my preference) for smarter occasions like restaurant visits...)

Me personally....If I were going to Spain I wouldnt spend much time hanging around the swimming pool....I would be taking advantage of my time there and be absorbing as much of Spain as possible....how much swimming are you gonna be doing anyway seriously???? Just wear the 029 and bring a cheap back up watch in case you have issues with the movement :D

I have to admit, I wasn't planning on doing too much swimming, but, I didn't want to have to worry about getting a leather strap wet, so felt the SS was the best option. That's a good idea about the backup. Seeing as I really wanted to use the GMT feature, I might well do that (or take the 111h with it's taped up back as well, so I can continue to monitor it's performance) Thanks for the advice :)

Upon investigation, the rubber gloves I needed for removing the caseback appear to have been thrown out, and I have no intention of pawing through the garbage like a starving racoon just to swap a caseback :lol: Ultimate result, a choice governed entirely by chance and circumstance, is that I wear the 111h on SS, and then swap to leather straps for more formal situations :)

Thanks for the advice and reading :)

Yes that 111h on SS is hot. After your holiday kindly send it to me overnight at your expense and I'll wear it about. It's the least I can do for a friend! :p

Seriously though, have a safe trip and be safe.

Well, a second opinion on the regulation is always welcome :lol:

Thanks, I'm sure all will be well.

Interesting note, the watch stopped almost precicely the same length of time as it did when I first got it to run for more than a few hours. Eight hours, and a few minutes. That seems too precice to be coincidence. I managed to get one wind onto crown, and it then ran for about 5-10 minutes, so, I removed the back (thanks to non-slip matting) and used a cocktail stick to allow the spring to completely unwind (as per instructions given to V earlier) and then completely re-wound it. Time will tell how soon it stops this time :lol: Just to be on the safe side, I've thrown my 2531.80 in my strap case should it fail completely :)

Me personally....If I were going to Spain I wouldnt spend much time hanging around the swimming pool....I would be taking advantage of my time there and be absorbing as much of Spain as possible....

Ahh, come on now, Nightstroker. ;)

We're talking of "Europeans" here, not Americans or foreigners doing the Grand Tour. Almost all of us have been to the continent on several occasions since childhood, because it's dead cheap to travel. I mean, we're talking U$50 London to Paris. Less if you have travel vouchers from the Sunday papers.

I can't even go to Orlando from Miami for $50!! Or 100!

Not that I am for one moment suggesting that "culture" should be snubbed at. That's not the point. Relaxation is also important to recharge our batteries, even if that includes a trip to Friday's instead of the local tapas joint.

(I secretly can't believe I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, again, with TeeJay. I'm one of those Brits who rail at my countrymen for simply hanging around other Brits in Ibiza, Mallorca, etc. ALL DAY. It's like they literally never left the UK, down to the radio stations and pubs. But ah well. Swimming is fun. And soon, it'll barking cold in the UK. Let TeeJay have his swim!)

While in spain, I have heard tell, wearing a jockstrap on ones head demonstrates that you are indeed a big athletic supporter and walking off the plane with with head held high and a confident gait while your crown is adorned with a jockstrap will open the doors to the hearts of the people of Spain right away. The officers at customs will not even notice that you are wearing a counterfeit watch and will all nod with approval at the el supremo athletic supporter in their presence.

While in spain, I have heard tell, wearing a jockstrap on ones head demonstrates that you are indeed a big athletic supporter and walking off the plane with with head held high and a confident gait while your crown is adorned with a jockstrap will open the doors to the hearts of the people of Spain right away. The officers at customs will not even notice that you are wearing a counterfeit watch and will all nod with approval at the el supremo athletic supporter in their presence.

What about jock itch?

What about jock itch?

In that case then rubbing a fork on ones eyebrows should diminish the desire to scratch. It is always good to remember that if you pick at it, it will never heal.

Why wont it accept a SS bracelet , I have a 029 and mine has a bracelet on it .

Hey fellow rep watch geekette. :)

I'm guessing the answer is that not all rep watch PAM bracelets are made the same. Indeed, not all cases (and therefore lug ends) are made the same. It all depends what you buy.