When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap Culture Strap ...

Romp

Hey guys,

Just quickly - Ive put a strap culture strap onto my 111H. It looks great and is chunky etc but as the leather is new it isnt exactly very soft yet! Wondering if anyone has some techniques to soften the leather up quickly .. or "destroy" the leather to give it a more vintage look but soften it at the same time.

The part that is scratching my wrist the most is near the buckle where the loop thing is. Seems to be combo of the stitching and leather.

Cheers,

Rob

Hey guys,

Just quickly - Ive put a strap culture strap onto my 111H. It looks great and is chunky etc but as the leather is new it isnt exactly very soft yet! Wondering if anyone has some techniques to soften the leather up quickly .. or "destroy" the leather to give it a more vintage look but soften it at the same time.

The part that is scratching my wrist the most is near the buckle where the loop thing is. Seems to be combo of the stitching and leather.

Cheers,

Rob

Try using a leather conditioner and massaging it into the strap.

I usually use Meltonian neutral shoe cream, then just twist, bend, pull, and shake the sh@#$# out of it. Gotta break in/up those fibers, especially if it's new leather. Good luck!

That's exactly what Mario Paci's head strapmaker, Fabrizio, suggests for all pricey straps -- Meltonian Neutral. It can be bought at your local shoemaker or on eBay, dead cheap. I think it was $2.50 per vial, excluding shipping.

I also, just today, got Chelsea Leather Food from Greg Stevens, that other famous strapmaker.

I do have to say that I haven't tried this (Chelsea) on my Strapculture straps YET. What you describe Romp, is precisely why with regret, I do not recommend anyone to buy Strapculture straps, at least certain lines.

I know they are very popular. I'm sure when they are worn in they are nice. But the Legend line is made of VERY coarse, low-grade leather -- it's as thick as cardboard, and stiffer than John Kerry at a bar mitzvah.

Meltonian Neutral had no effect on my 2 SC straps whatsoever, but then, I'm no real leather expert, like V, Tootall or Savage. Try it. At least it won't stain!

That's exactly what Mario Paci's head strapmaker, Fabrizio, suggests for all pricey straps -- Meltonian Neutral. It can be bought at your local shoemaker or on eBay, dead cheap. I think it was $2.50 per vial, excluding shipping.

I also, just today, got Chelsea Leather Food from Greg Stevens, that other famous strapmaker.

I do have to say that I haven't tried this (Chelsea) on my Strapculture straps YET. What you describe Romp, is precisely why with regret, I do not recommend anyone to buy Strapculture straps, at least certain lines.

I know they are very popular. I'm sure when they are worn in they are nice. But the Legend line is made of VERY coarse, low-grade leather -- it's as thick as cardboard, and stiffer than John Kerry at a bar mitzvah.

Meltonian Neutral had no effect on my 2 SC straps whatsoever, but then, I'm no real leather expert, like V, Tootall or Savage. Try it. At least it won't stain!

Thanks V - Im going to get a diff strap this week

Yes this legend strap is coarse, thick and cardboardy ... itll wear in i hope

I am using two different products in my straps...

1. Lord Sheraton leather balsam conditioner if you want to clean and revive the leather...

2. Camel natural 'grease' to achieve great patina without wearing the strap that much ;)

I am using two different products in my straps...

1. Lord Sheraton leather balsam conditioner if you want to clean and revive the leather...

Clive suggested that in my Stains on Straps thread. It's okay. It will leave a darkish residue on some straps, as if wet (E.g., Savage's British tan strap).

One just has to be careful with the grain of each strap.

2. Camel natural 'grease' to achieve great patina without wearing the strap that much ;)

Ooh! Nice. An alternative to mink oil, yes? I read from Tootall that that can rot the stitches.

SC isn't the place to go if soft straps is your thing. If you want soft and thick I highly recommend the Carrier and/or Copperplate straps from Micah at Vintager Straps (dot com).

Hold that thought, guys! If you want to see how they look, before buying, wait a sec.

I had set aside my Micah Copperplate strap for Monday's Wrist-Check. Coincidence, Chieftang!

A good soaking in teriyaki sauce for 3 weeks might not produce the desired reult, however you will be followed by canine companions

for awhile. :D