When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

History of Underwater Watches

Victoria

(The header is a work in progress, not to suggest this is my own writing, or a definitive post on the topic)

I have recently become very interested in underwater watches. Here's something you don't know about me. I don't know how to swim. I'm the only one in my family, on both sides, that doesn't (there is a private reason for that).

But I love the water. I could never live inland, or in a totally landlocked country, as I think I would die without seeing the sea.

My new interest has to do with having recently re-watched "Das Boot", and several other submarine films, of late.

I would love to know more on what exact kinds of watches submariners wore on duty, inside those great underwater capsules, from the 1800s to early WWII.

If you have any links, please post them!

Meanwhile, here is a recap from a gen site, which gives you a brief historical outline:

WATCHES UNDER WATER

As the wristwatch evolved in the 20th century from the pocketwatch, its public acceptance in large part may be attributed to improvements in its durability. The early enemies of the wristwatch included water, dust, shocks and magnetism. It was primarily during the 1920s and

V. interesting !! (sorry, couldn't resist it !). Thanks for posting that very interesting article, Vicky ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Fireman_Fred

V. interesting !! (sorry, couldn't resist it !).

:o:lol:

Thanks for posting that very interesting article, Vicky ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My pleasure! Take a look at the photos I've just added. Some very interesting ones of Mercedes Gleitze, the first British lady to swim the Channel. A humble stenographer by day. A mermaid wearing a Rolex by night. ;)

@TMG: Thanks! I'm sure it's been done before on RWG! But I agree, this topic is fascinating. There's so much we can learn, but also enjoy visually. :)

[quote name='vbarrett' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:43 PM' post='351426'

I have recently become very interested in underwater watches. Here's something you don't know about me. I don't know how to swim. I'm the only one in my family, on both sides, that doesn't (there is a private reason for that)

Really Vic, you should reconsider swimming lessons. If only but for safety reasons. Here in Michigan, people all the time are running themselves over bridges or into side road streams and rivers, and without the aid of a centerpunch, (to break the glass on your door window) and swimming skills, they most certainly would not survive these mishaps. With your penchant for water, and living near it,and for your sake and the sake of your friends here on RWG, have no fear, and get yourself some lessons!

I have recently become very interested in underwater watches. Here's something you don't know about me. I don't know how to swim. I'm the only one in my family, on both sides, that doesn't (there is a private reason for that)

Really Vic, you should reconsider swimming lessons. If only but for safety reasons. Here in Michigan, people all the time are running themselves over bridges or into side road streams and rivers, and without the aid of a centerpunch, (to break the glass on your door window) and swimming skills, they most certainly would not survive these mishaps. With your penchant for water, and living near it,and for your sake and the sake of your friends here on RWG, have no fear, and get yourself some lessons!

Just very briefly to say that two catastrophic things happened to me before I was 6. One, a fire ripped through our London home before my 4th year. Two, I saw my cousin Charlie drown before my very eyes.

Believe me, I have tried, but I just can't conquer the fear of flame and swimming. And I have a mother who is a child psychiatrist who has tried to help me too...thanks for your concern, DET11. Please don't let this admission circumvent our interest and replies about underwater watches, okay? I just wanted you to understand that my diving interest, and all those pool photos have a reason, now. It's a little triumph each time. :)

P.S.: I love the sea! Really. I was even given sailing lessons...

Hey, the Brits were founded upon their sea-faring prowess! No choice in the matter!

On 11 September 2001, a few hours after the attack on the WTC & the Pentagon, I entered the nearest recruiting office I could find. It was the US Navy. Given the laws at the time for foreign combatants, I didn't qualify. But I forgot to mention to the recruiting Sarge that I didn't know how to swim...

I heard the Navy of each country are a little more receptive to women in the Services, so that played a role no doubt. Ah well. :)

One day I'll learn to swim.

And when I'll do, I'll be wearing my Rolex Oyster like Mercedes Gleitze. :lol:

Anyone here on a gen Doxa? Always liked it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa_S.A.

doxasub750t01md7.jpg

Doxa Innovations

* First Commercial dive watch, Sub300t in 1967.

* First watch with a rotating bezel to compute no-decompression times, Sub 300t, 1967.

* 8 Day Movement, 1908.

* Helium release valve; first watch with a helium release valve. In certain diving situations, helium can penetrate the watch seals and cause a pressure buildup in the watch, eventually blowing the crystal off the watch face. Doxa, in conjunction with Rolex, invented and introduced the first dive watches with a helium release valve, which prevented this helium buildup. While this was a major advance at the time, few actual watches with this feature were produced. Doxa introduced the Sub300t Conquistador in 1969 featuring a helium release valve. Rolex introduced this feature into its Sea-Dweller watch in 1971. Omega also eventually introduced a helium release valve, in its Seamaster watch.

Really interesting post V. I love to be near the sea too , I can walk to the mouth of the river from my house in 5 mins and be on the beach in 10. The uPO likes it too, whenever it's warm enough to swim/plodge in the North Sea...!

Edited by baltic

Doxa's are great, definitely my next gen diver, probably the 750T GMT though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa_S.A.

Doxa Innovations

* First watch with a rotating bezel to compute no-decompression times, Sub 300t, 1967.

* 8 Day Movement, 1908.

* Helium release valve; first watch with a helium release valve. In certain diving situations, helium can penetrate the watch seals and cause a pressure buildup in the watch, eventually blowing the crystal off the watch face. Doxa, in conjunction with Rolex, invented and introduced the first dive watches with a helium release valve, which prevented this helium buildup. While this was a major advance at the time, few actual watches with this feature were produced. Doxa introduced the Sub300t Conquistador in 1969 featuring a helium release valve. Rolex introduced this feature into its Sea-Dweller watch in 1971. Omega also eventually introduced a helium release valve, in its Seamaster watch.

Doxa Innovations

* 8 Day Movement, 1908.

Doxa's are very cool and still reasonable! They were allegedly the first diver to offer an orange dial :g:

Doxa's are very cool and still reasonable! They were allegedly the first diver to offer an orange dial :g:

So I read on Wiki. I always thought it was Seiko...

Davidsen told me that if I check my caseback is screwed on tight, and tamp down the crown guard, I can go "swimming" (I paddle inside the pool) with my PAM 112.

I did that with a gen Rolex, and messed it up. I'm therefore very wary to do it with a rep, though I hear you guys post you do all the time. -_-

Very interesting post Vic...

Personally all my reps have tried at some point the warm waters of Med without any problem at all ;)

Might try it with one of the cheap Rolexes, after making sure the caseback is tamped down, and applying sillicone on the crown.

But not on my Panerai, V. Ironically enough. :p