When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Movt

Owens

Hi everyone. I dropped my noob and now it will not keep good time and the second hand will stop every now and then. My question is, Can I just buy a movement off ebay such as this one to replace it. I just want it where it works. I bought the thing and not two weeks later it doesn't work anymore! Grr

Thanks!

Dustin

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-movement-same-of-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

Which noob do you have, as in where did you get it? I have the beginmariner from josh ( "eta" 2813) and I threw my 2824 in it just to check it out and it looked ok, but that may not be the case for your watch. If you do have the same one read: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=54283

The 2813 beginmariner worked, but alligoat is right, if its for the 2836, a 2824 will have stem alignment issues, aka it just won't work.

It wouldn't be easy anyway, you would have to unstick the datewheel overlay from the old movement and glue it over the datewheel on the 2824, but you would have to get it lined up properly, which is not easy your 1st time. You would then have to cut the dial feet off and either glue the dial to the spacer ring or apply dial stickers. Oh, and you would have to buy some eta hands too, so your talking maybe 40-60 for an eta, and 17 or 20 for hands, so roughly $60-80 to fix it, is it worth it?

I would say its not a job for a beginner, but if you have some experience it could be easy.

Perhaps the dealer will sell you a replacement, but I'm not sure

The lower cost option to get a solid movement, albeit one without hack, is to substitute directly with a Miyota as per The Zigmeister's response here:

The Zigmeister's Movement Replacement for Sub

This one: http://www.ofrei.com/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi

Julesborel has it for $22.65

So, add in the cost of labour if you need it, and you may be at the point where a new watch is in order. The other option is, buy some tools, and use this as a learning opportunity to try a movement swap yourself.

My original TTK noobmariner died 4-5 months ago in the hands of my dearly beloved nephew. But my watchmaker fixed it for $40 and it's been fine ever since. Now getting a watchmaker to work on an asian 21j movement can be a trick- some don't want to do it- but it's worth a try.