When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bear Grylls

Victoria

I rarely read magazines since getting broadband (2001), but I make two exceptions: Vogue & Outside magazines.

And guess who is on the cover of this month's Outside mag, wearing what I do believe is his Breitling watch with diver strap. Problem is, that's not his usual Emergency version, is it? The Avenger perhaps?

Bear Grylls! :wub: What a man!

bearoutsideqz5.jpg

bearbreitlingcloseupiu4.jpg

diverpro_01.jpg

This is Bear in dodgier times, wearing his more usual Breitling Emergency watch.

beargryllsbreitlingemerak1.png

(That watch didn't help Steve Fossett too much...)

And Bear at an US chat show, showing off his Bremont watch -- the British/Swiss timepiece makers, of course, have a sponsorship deal for his "Man versus Wild" series. Their motto? "Tested beyond Endurance".

beargryllslahs0.jpg

In case you're interested, he's wearing the ALT1-P, also favoured by Ewan McGregor and his chum, Charlie Freeman.

alt1pmn9.jpg

The Bremont marque is, of course, too new to have been repped, but if there is a serious contender to giving Breitling a run for their money, they'd be the ones.

P.S.: If you caught "Charlie Rose" on PBS a night ago, you'd have seen Jerry Seinfeld wearing one of his beloved Breitlings on a huge black leather strap. At a guess, I'd say it was a vintage Navitimer.

Rose himself must be another Watch Queen, because he changes his timepieces nightly. During that episode, a Patek Calatrava, I'm almost certain. Since he doesn't use cufflinks, his shirt cuffs are always exposed showing his wrists/watches.

It's like he's trying in some way to mimic Gianni Agnelli, but instead of dashing, it just comes out as affected...

In case you're interested, he's wearing the ALT1-P, also favoured by Ewan McGregor and his chum, Charlie Freeman.

Do you mean Charley Boorman from the "Long Way" series? I don't know what he wears on their bike trips, but I saw Boorman wearing a black Sub on the first episode of "Long Way Down" last week. But I'm pretty sure he's wearing something else in the second ep during their trip. Probably the watch you mention.

And that looks like Bear's Emergency watch on the cover of "Outside." The b&w image may be throwing you, but you can clearly see the digital display screens. I used to be a much bigger fan of Bear's until I saw this video clip:

Now I watch "Survivorman."

Woah, spooky, I was just thinking about those Bremont watches (having seen Bear wear them in his survival series) and toying with the idea of buying one, and then I log on and see your post.............and then you mention my favourite mag, Outside, which sadly I can't buy now that I'm back living in this pokey island. :huh:

Do you mean Charley Boorman from the "Long Way" series? I don't know what he wears on their bike trips, but I saw Boorman wearing a black Sub on the first episode of "Long Way Down" last week. But I'm pretty sure he's wearing something else in the second ep during their trip. Probably the watch you mention.

Ahh, I saw it on the Bremont site itself, under "Bremont People". :)

ewancharleycz0.jpg

I had, myself, not known who the "friend" was until Pugwash told me in another thread. It's odd, because I once met his father John during a visit he paid to Brazil in the late 80s...

And that looks like Bear's Emergency watch on the cover of "Outside." The b&w image may be throwing you, but you can clearly see the digital display screens.

Yes! You're right. I see it now.

It certainly was the B&W which threw me, but also I thought b16a2 had a similar Breitling Avenger in one of his Wristies. Perhaps not then.

I used to be a much bigger fan of Bear's until I saw this video clip:

Now I watch "Survivorman."

Ack, I'm not clicking on that. My (no doubt jealous) boyfriend already told me that Bear Grylls was "outted" as having shot certain scenes out of sequence, having had to be taught to do the things he seems to do so effortlessly. And also, staying at lodges overnight, instead of sleeping in dangerous snowholes, etc.

Who cares!

Is Survivorman an exceptionally handsome devout Christian OE, who rips the flesh off of and eats dead zebras, and has drunk his own wee? Not to mention having a perfectly formed bottom?

Is Surivorman even a WIS like Bear?

No.

Bear Grylls RULES!

Woah, spooky, I was just thinking about those Bremont watches (having seen Bear wear them in his survival series) and toying with the idea of buying one, and then I log on and see your post.............and then you mention my favourite mag, Outside, which sadly I can't buy now that I'm back living in this pokey island. :huh:

I love coincidences like that, don't you, prof? Even in a place where so many of us have very similar tastes, you are constantly reminded how even for us, we're so very much on the same wavelength.

*touches monitor to "connect" further with prof*

(Oh brother. I really need to stop listening to Kitaro New Agey music)

devout Christian

Dammit, why did I have to read this thread?! Staging parts of the show I can live with, finding out he just prays his way out of survival situations doesn't impress me quite so much when you are in the business of handing out survival advice. <_<

I was hoping for something a bit more practical....

I like that show though - even though I first saw it on Harry Hill where they took the piss every week:

Dammit, why did I have to read this thread?! Staging parts of the show I can live with, finding out he just prays his way out of survival situations doesn't impress me quite so much when you are in the business of handing out survival advice. <_<

Darling, there are no atheists in the Everglades. :p

I was hoping for something a bit more practical....

WHAT! Thanks to him, I can be stuck in the Australian Outback, marooned in the frozen tundra of Alaska, and dodge the perils of the Costa Rican rainforest -- and with a handy Bowie knife, water bottle, some parachute string and a flint, I'll be JUST FINE!

Especially when I find the nearest Ramada Inn.

I thought the Iceland Man vs Wild was pretty insane;

My favourite was the Alps. That's the one where you can see him jump in a frozen lake, nekkid. :)

Brilliant, thanks!