When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to find DW?

llsteve80

It looks like DW doesnt sell on ebay anymore, unless he uses a different name, which I doubt since I don't see any cases on there at all. All of this talk about vintage daytonas is causing me to want one really bad, or at least look into getting one.

So does anyone know where DW went? Feel free to PM if necessary.

WHY...????....

From what I've read in this thread and attached thread, you need to have rocks in your head to spend 4 figures for a rep from what amounts to a "dropshipper"....And...even if you're lucky enough to get a decent example, you've still got: a $2000.00 REPLICA!!!! :o :o :o

WHY...????....

From what I've read in this thread and attached thread, you need to have rocks in your head to spend 4 figures for a rep from what amounts to a "dropshipper"....And...even if you're lucky enough to get a decent example, you've still got: a $2000.00 REPLICA!!!! :o :o :o

frankt, there is little in the replica world that is as stunning to behold as a properly executed VJ72-based vintage Daytona. It's the only acceptable alternative to the $25,000+ genuine...

...You know you want one ;)

I do not know if DW's assembled watches were drop-shipped (my understanding is that they were not), but here is a gen 6241 that sold on Antiquorum for close to $60,000 a few years ago next to 1 of those '$2000.00 REPLICA!!!!' watches (built from a DW kit)

GenvsDW.jpg

But you are right about 1 thing -- It helps to have rocks in your head if you are seriously considering the purchase of either one -- gen or rep. :bicycle:

WHY...????....

Depends how you look at it--- I'm talking about starting with on of his cases, so then I would have a unique hand built WATCH that I put together myself, one that I would know in and out, and would just happen to look like one of the most sought after daytonas ever made. For some people, the satisfaction lies in the fabrication, whether it's building or modding makes no difference, its the personal touch and details that make it yours.

The rocks you speak of may account for the hardness of my head.........

I do not know if DW's assembled watches were drop-shipped (my understanding is that they were not), but here is a gen 6241 that sold on Antiquorum for close to $60,000 a few years ago next to 1 of those '$2000.00 REPLICA!!!!' watches (built from a DW kit)

GenvsDW.jpg

But you are right about 1 thing -- It helps to have rocks in your head if you are seriously considering the purchase of either one -- gen or rep. :bicycle:

Problem is...after @40 yrs around watches, I know they are in reality BOTH @$2000.00 WORTH of watch!!..The fact that some idiot will spend $60,000. to get one is the most perplexing... <_< <_< <_<

Problem is...after @40 yrs around watches, I know they are in reality BOTH @$2000.00 WORTH of watch!!..The fact that some idiot will spend $60,000. to get one is the most perplexing... <_< <_< <_<

And using the same logic, she is just $30 worth of paint & canvas

388px-Mona_Lisa.jpg

I agree with you on the one hand (that the monies being paid for these collectibles are way out of proportion to the value of their parts), but I think someone needs to slap some sense into you (about the way humans value things of beauty (note I italicized the word 'beauty' because I will grant that it lies in the eye of the beholder)) with the other. :bangin:

And using the same logic, she is just $30 worth of paint & canvas

388px-Mona_Lisa.jpg

I agree with you on the one hand (that the monies being paid for these collectibles are way out of proportion to the value of their parts), but I think someone needs to slap some sense into you (about the way humans value things of beauty (note I italicized the word 'beauty' because I will grant that it lies in the eye of the beholder)) with the other. :bangin:

Well the logic differs in that :

There was only one MonaLisa, and she wasn't mass produced in a 20th century Swiss watch factory!!..

while the early Rolex chrono's are certainly well made classics, only a fool would spend $60,000.00 on @ $2000.00 worth of metal pieces fastened together!!...

There will always only be ONE Mona Lisa...But it wouldn't be impossible for Rolex to begin making those watches again...not simple granted, but not impossible!! ;) ;) ;)

Since Rolex no longer produces these watches, their numbers are dwindling, as some are kept running from parts of others, and more are lost or damaged... antique chronos from any maker get more expensive to own, maintain and repair every year (especially those with the same movements as Rolex, Breitling, etc..), even without inflation...

As the numbers of any given antique approach 1, the price continues to climb. When there is only one, it's price will be reasonably, priceless.

Even IF Rolex produced a brand new batch, they would still not be antique originals, and would always lag behind the true original in price... The same goes for Eames/Herman Miller Chairs, and other "works of art."

Even IF Rolex produced a brand new batch, they would still not be antique originals, and would always lag behind the true original in price...

It will be interesting to see how the vintage Daytona market fares when (and I think it is just a matter of time now) Rolex releases an updated Newman, following on the heels of other notable recent re-releases of classic designs (Prince, Milgauss).