When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen rolex crown prices?

llsteve80

6mm Twinlock gold - I have never bought these, but I would guess they go for $50 - $150 depending on condition and seller

6mm Twinlock SS - I have paid anywhere between $20 - $100 ($100 for NOS in sealed Rolex package), depending on condition and seller

7mm Triplock crown - 2 used Triplock crowns from a reasonable seller for less than $40

Triplock tube - $6 for New Style 6mm tubes from Ofrei (for Triplock crown) or about $20 for slightly higher quality New Style tube (24.7030.0) from Cousinsuk (Cousins tube is slightly longer (closer match to the gen tube), but I have used both with similar (trouble-free) results).

Those are pretty bang on prices for crowns, but there are exceptions if you are patient and very lucky on eBay. I've found sealed 24-603-0's for $40, and a sealed 24-530-0 for $25.00. Those deals are very rare though.

I've been told that crowns direct from Rolex to service agent are between $25-$30. They are to mark them up 40% to the end user on a repair or service. So when I see some crowns on ebay listed for $135! You know someone is making some pretty good margin. And you know someone is making some very good profit when they are selling their used crowns on eBay for $25. Buy a new crown from Rolex for $25, install on customers watch, bill them $40 or blend into their service package, then resell their old crown on eBay for $25.

But seeing that not anyone can buy direct from Rolex, I guess that is market value. I know I still buy them, even knowing they are marked up 200-300%

Thanks everyone, thats some good info. To be more clear, I'm not looking to buy, but looking to sell. Just trying to see if it would even be worth it. Nothing is more annoying to me than when something sells for the opening bid of say, 9.99. Then I have to print a label and invoice, pack it and post it. After all of that, it's not even worth while.

I really thought the triplock would be the highest one.

Stilty- Thats interesting how much they mark them up, but don't the service agents have to account for all the parts they buy now? I'm under the impression that all replaced parts have to be sent back to RUSA since rolex is tired of people selling stuff on the internet.

Stilty- Thats interesting how much they mark them up, but don't the service agents have to account for all the parts they buy now? I'm under the impression that all replaced parts have to be sent back to RUSA since rolex is tired of people selling stuff on the internet.

It may depend on the relationship they have with Rolex. The guy I was talking to just orders them in bulk and they don't expect them back. But he did say most parts are exchange only with Rolex.

Heres a very interesting reply that I got from offrei in regards to the 6mm crowns:

Rolex no longer supplies them to distributors, this is not legal but they have the money to fight in courts forever this battle and only hope is US groverment and they were able to buy off the US Justice department run by Bush and we do not have chance. Under Clinton control they looked at problem but said it was a watch worn by the rich and said they had or fights to fight. Now Bush's guys were quick to take the money Rolex was offering so that they woulld not impose USA laws on Rolex.

So is the Bush economy responsible for this?

Edited by UB7

Heres a very interesting reply that I got from offrei in regards to the 6mm crowns:

Rolex no longer supplies them to distributors, this is not legal but they have the money to fight in courts forever this battle and only hope is US groverment and they were able to buy off the US Justice department run by Bush and we do not have chance. Under Clinton control they looked at problem but said it was a watch worn by the rich and said they had or fights to fight. Now Bush's guys were quick to take the money Rolex was offering so that they woulld not impose USA laws on Rolex.

So is the Bush economy responsible for this?

Is Bush responsible?.........well, yes and no (and if Clinton -- either one -- were in office, the answer would be the same).

Sounds like classic Bob Frei-speak and thanks for posting it.

I believe this is just a case of one golf buddy (a US trade official or President (and it does not matter who that is, because both parties tend to deal with wealthy corporate campaign contributors the same way)) not wanting to offend another golf buddy (the head of a successful corporation). And without wanting to illicit a long debate into the ethics of politics or the oft-assumed machinations that oil (grease) the free enterprise system, let us just say that -- right or wrong -- this is the reality of the way things are done.

I mean I understand the way it works, freddy - And I do agree with pretty much everything you said ....But for some reason I dont buy all of what offrei said - How does tourneu for example, or ANY AD for that matter stock these crowns?? And not just crowns but it would appear that this applies to all rolex parts...They must supply them to some retailer's and distributors - Mabye their more selective in who they distribute their products too, but I dont buy the fact that he said they stopped all together...If this were the case crowns/parts/watches would be insanely expensive, which they are not (at least for now) - Mabye this is an indication that prices are about to skyrocket?

Edited by UB7

AD = Authorized (Rolex) Dealer. ADs, for obvious reasons, have much greater (and freer) access to the Rolex parts distribution network than do gray market dealers or independent parts houses like Ofrei (and I suspect having Bob Frei at the helm does not help their cause). There are also some non-ADs that have some type of agreement with Rolex granting them limited access to the network. Ofrei and other independent houses are just resellers of watch parts & supplies. I do not believe Rolex sees them as being any more deserving of gen parts (or special treatment) than you or I. Contrast this with the Rolex of 20 years ago when anyone (take me for example) could walk into any AD and walk out with either most Rolex parts or a receipt for a special order item not stocked by the AD. That is how I franken'd my first Datejust (gen twotone end links & clasp)

datejust-tt.jpg

Rolex has been increasing their prices almost every year since I have been conscious of them, so I expect this year to be no different.

Maybe I should start stockpiling then..... One thing that would be nice to know would be to have prior knowledge of services they will be stopping soon. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think will be hard to get in 5 years? 10? There has to be a point for certain watches where the parts become too expensive for anyone to fix. I don't care how much parts are for the daytonas, for example, there will always be a market for that, but I can see people just parting out the old mid-size datejusts and manual winds for cheap until there are so few left that they increase in value again. Or not...

Right on freddy...Thanks for clarifying it makes more sense now...You're TT DJ is nothing short of spectacular! You still have that beauty?

Thanks and yes, I still have it (and it still runs). Compared to the current crop of reps available from our better collectors (not to mention in contrast to the gen) it is sadly lacking so I no longer wear it. But it represented the state of the art in reps (first with a real Swiss (ETA) movement and (real) gold plating (as opposed to paint)) when I got it 20-something years ago. It was also one of the first reps I modded with gen parts.

Maybe I should start stockpiling then..... One thing that would be nice to know would be to have prior knowledge of services they will be stopping soon. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think will be hard to get in 5 years? 10? There has to be a point for certain watches where the parts become too expensive for anyone to fix. I don't care how much parts are for the daytonas, for example, there will always be a market for that, but I can see people just parting out the old mid-size datejusts and manual winds for cheap until there are so few left that they increase in value again. Or not...

Actually the other way around. There should be good supplies of parts for older datejusts and manual winds for well into the foreseeable future. However, Valjoux movements, which power vintage Daytonas, have not been manufactured for many years and parts supplies will soon begin drying up.