When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Malte Chronographe

Pix

Hi Folks,

I have been playing with my new toy for two weeks now, and it's time for me to share my feelings on the Vacheron Constantin Malte Chronographe.

Where did I buy it ?

As most of my latest purchases, I bought this rep from my favorite seller on iOffer...I suppose there's no problem to name him, as he now also is an apprentice dealer here on this very board : Watchmark. :)

Until now he has always supplied what I have been requesting, even if not in his listings, and I had 0 defect/discrepancy. His communication is ultra-fast (I think he does not sleep) ^_^ and he's basically a kind person. Those dealing with him will surely notice that he's really willing to make transactions as smooth as possible. For the rest, I leave it to your own judgement, as I do not want to blindly recommend a person and be held responsible for any future bad transaction (as it happens with anyone).

That rep can be purchased for around 200 USD shipped.

How did I choose the watch ?

Well, it is now more than obvious that I love what Vacheron Constantin is doing. Hate or love the Granpa's style, but VC modells are definitely dressy classy watches, which you will wear without fear for any formal occasion or at the office.

I own / have owned the following : Overseas, Retrograding Calendar, Royal Eagle Tonneau and this Malte Chronographe. None has been disappointing, on the contrary, and all have had a good level of finishing/replication as well as a very (I mean very) reasonable price. Funny, when you think about the price level of the real thing...

How is it as a watch ?

As already suggested, it is very well finished. Supposed to be white gold plated, but I must say I was not able to make the difference with my mirror polished SS watches, unlike my PATEK PHILIPPE 5070 (also WG plated) which really looks different.

It comes with an alligator pattern strap, which I replaced by my good old friend (it's its 3rd rep !), a genuine alligator chestnut strap, with curved ends and a deployant clasp. I simply love it, and the more I wear it, the most beautiful it gets. Maybe i'm too demanding, but I can't use the rep straps out of the box, they do not meet my requirements. The VC strap has been recycled somewhere in Austria, and it seems it made a lady happy ;)

The dial is gorgeous : a mix of white, off-white and silver (subdials) colours, highlighted by the guilloche texture. Blue digits, markers and hands. A perfect balance. Not too much, not to few.

My favorite part is definitely the movement : the famous (hand-winding) Seagull ST-19, copy of the Venus 175, mistakenly called Lemania by many dealers. Whatever it is called, it's just beautiful. It's my second watch with this movement, the first (PATEK 5070) having proven to keep accurate time, a decent power reserve (almost 48 hours), and the same effect always when I hand the watch to someone : wow ! And yes, it's a "wow movement". ^_^

Unlike my PATEK, the chrono runs smoothly, no stuttering at all. The crown winds smoothly. Probably a better lubrication.

Sapphire glass on both sides. Engravings are sharp and I have nothing special to comment there.

The disappointing point (to some extent) is the crown : it's a screw-down crown, but it's a bit hard to screw (I suppose some silicone should help), but before all I find it a bit too big. Well, I'm probably a bit demanding :)

The shots

01front1jk2.jpg

02front2ks0.jpg

03back1bw7.jpg

04back2oh7.jpg

05back3dg5.jpg

06crownvp7.jpg

And how is it as a rep ?

I'm almost sure the manufacturer is the same as for my PATEK 5070, as I have the very same feeling : a very well finished watch which reflects the spirit of the genuine thing, but which has a lot of small flaws which don't make it an accurate replication (which basically I don't care so much, as VC is totally unknown in the World I live in... ^_^ )

Here's a non exhaustive list of the differences :

- of course the movement is far from the original, but as mentionned, it does not make the watch ugly :D

- the dial texture and color is not correct. Off-white against white, and silver subdial against white

- I was thinking that the ST-19 did not allow a correct placement of the chrono subdials (as for the PATEK5070), but in fact I changed my opinion : the problem does not come from the hands positions, but from the dial diameter. The rep is 40 mm against 41,5 for the gen, so automatically the subdials are at a wrong position. This reduced diameter also prevents the 9 and 3 markers to be present.

I've been wondering about why they chose this solution : the answer might be that the manufacturer uses the same case for several models, including my former VC with retrograding calendar.

retrogradinggz3.th.jpg

- the height seems correct, i.e. 11 mm

- the crown is wrong (shape and depth), the pushers are more or less faithful to the gen.

- the digits/markers are blue against dark grey, but in normal lighting, it is not that obvious

compgen1zb9.jpg

compgen2ro5.jpg

compgen3ad5.jpg

Conclusion

Not so good in details, but the overall look and accuracy are pretty good and, most important, it breathes the high quality watch. I write it everytime I can : for me the feeling given by a replica is more important that its level of replication. We have here an excellent example.

The VC Malte Chronographe is definitely worth the money and I have no reluctance in advising this modell to anyone looking for a dressy watch, provided that you hunt for a nice strap to dress the thing...

Oh, and I forgot... Here's a wristshot (for Mademoiselle Victoire) ^_^

07wrist1pp5.jpg

Oh, and I forgot... Here's a wristshot (for Mademoiselle Victoire) ^_^

07wrist1pp5.jpg

Your reviews, and By-Tors, are one of the best things of being on RWG. So complete, so professional. A joy, every paragraph.

My father has a Malte Vacheron and as a gen owner, it's interesting to reverse caps for a moment, and see how close to the original these makers can get them.

Okay, the subdials are off, and thus the missing markers, as you say. Another great conjecture, which I have long thought the same, was that our collectors re-use the cases for one particular model to another, even though it's a different dimension altogether.

But overall, tell me, who can fault the quality of this watch? AND it has a working chrono! Amazing.

I find the price a little steep for my purposes, but I am very glad to hear that Watchmark has provided you with good service. I was considering purchasing one from him, but was scared since I had never heard of him (he sounds like another Andrew, IRT answering emails. A BIG plus for me).

Now, when you say that in your part of the World no one knows VC, I find that very unlikely! The French may not look like they're looking or interested, but your average Frenchman IN MY EXPERIENCE, I rush to say, knows what a Vacheron Constantin is.

They must be as impressed as I am. :)

Great review, Pix. Comme d'habitude!

Great review, as usual. A beautiful watch. I too feel as though what is most important about a piece like this, is not whether it is 100% accurate to the gen, but rather the finish and looks of the rep. This watch has always appealed to me. A beautiful timepiece. Thanks for your continuing contributions to RWG.