When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Walter Straps

HauteHippie

I've decided I'm long past due for adding an alligator strap to my collection. While I've always thought that'd be an OEM strap, I recently noticed this tan bony Walter strap, and really like it. It's different. Does anyone out there have a Walter strap, and if so, how's the quality, softness, etc? I don't like how the alligator doesn't come all the way to the end on the lug side. But these are made for tang buckles, which I much prefer over deployants. And they available non-tapered, which I also prefer.

Oh and by the way, if you're a fan of alligator (but not if you aren't ;) ), how do you like this one?

w-tanbony24-22.jpg

I love the look of the bony croc straps...been looking at walters products for some time...I find his straps great looking and the price is ok...dunno nothing about the quality but remember that there was a kind of discussion regarding his products...i think V posted some pics and questions (i may be wrong?!!)

w-tanbony24-22.jpg

That looks very similar to the one I got TeeJay! A TC version.

http://timeconnection.biz/Merchant2/mercha...Product_Count=6

I like it, to answer your specific question. It's not as nice as the one Hambone has, but then he got his custom-made from an exotic leather site.

OTOH, I've been told that Walter straps are of very good quality. I recently stupidly passed on a Metta Catherina done by him.

I do have ONE Walter, for his PVD series, and am forced to admit it's not a favourite. The leather isn't as good as what I expected. Here is a closeup, with SC buckle.

walteryarrbk4.jpg

Walter's regular calf straps are crap... I have seen many and they were all at least bad.

I ve heard good things from Psti owners about his gators (not from Aaron though.. he said they were not good quality) but I haven't seen any and I am not an expert anyway in the gator hides.

I was searching for a boney gator sometime in the past as dadog remembers but I haven't purchased it.. I don't know if there was a thread or not..

I don't like how the alligator doesn't come all the way to the end on the lug side.

Aaron (HKTAN) told me there is a reason why they don't but I don't remember now... Probably this side of the hide is too hard to fold over or something...

Aaron (HKTAN) told me there is a reason why they don't but I don't remember now... Probably this side of the hide is too hard to fold over or something...

I'm not sure why it wouldn't go all the way to the lug end either. My biggest complaint about most bony croc straps is that they put two different hides together to make the strap. HKtan and ABP are the only makers I've seen that use only the full bony hide.

Maybe there are others.

I ve heard good things from Psti owners about his gators (not from Aaron though.. he said they were not good quality) but I haven't seen any and I am not an expert anyway in the gator hides.

Not being a personal fan of HKTAN's straps from a fit and finish standpoint, this doesn't concern me too much... The comment about using two different hides on the same strap is interesting, and I suppose that it's far more noticeable off the wrist than on....

Sounds interesting! Which exotic leather site? :huh:

Fortunately, he reposted it over on the RWI Wristchecks only recently.

This is his beautiful strap:

dsc04205si9.jpg

And this is the site he posted, Woodwards:

http://www.woodwardboots.com/catalog/item/...095/3462593.htm

Here is one they have on the first page, for $185. Unfortunately, this is not "horny".

watchbanddddds1go4.jpg

Hambone, buddy, hope you won't mind me posting this!

P.S.: Doc-Bearcat, TWP, and others have also suggested I try this for super-cheap QUALITY straps; haven't yet, but will.

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/home.html