When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second Home

Victoria

Since RWG is a little slow today, allow this question. :)

Do you have a second home, such as a getaway house -- beach house, or mountain cabin? Or would you like one, one day, and where?

The other day, I was watching the Travel Channel's programme on buying a second home. The episode was about a lady from Alaska who had grown up the native way, tough and hearty, roughing it.

She wanted to buy herself a small property on Trapper Lake (about 80 miles from Anchorage, apparently), and was shown three properties. At the end, she chose the one I didn't think she would, because it was a little rundown-looking.

(Immediately, obviously, I thought of our Nanuq!)

Since we had a car thread recently, why not a house one now? ;)

God willing, the house in UT will be done before the new year...my vacation will supremely suck otherwise...

Was it a fixer-upper? Or did you have it built for you? :)

My 'second home' is a really small one-room affair with a door made of bars that can only be opened from the outside. Does that count?

Wow, I knew our hobby was a dodgy business. I didn't think they could throw the slammer at you. ;)

At the end, she chose the one I didn't think she would, because it was a little rundown-looking.

(Immediately, obviously, I thought of our Nanuq!)

And why is that?

You see "our" Nanuq as enjoying a "rundown-looking" domicile with his family in the wilds of Alaska?

So much I could say.....so much I won't. No point in doing so.

This is absolutely heaven on earth to me. It doesn't get any better than this.

don_sheldon_cabin_summer.jpg

Incredible shot. Doesn't even matter were it is excatly, but all it's missing is a drive way (and a road preferably a winding one that leads back to civilization) Oh yeah and a nice trendy European car to drive on such road.

I have a small place in Green Lake, Wisconsin. More of a place to sleep and enjoy the boat/fishing/people, rather than "The Big Summer Cottage". 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, one very large porch on about 45 minutes worth of lawn cutting property with some willows around. If you look very closely underneath, I believe the axles are still there :p.

Gotta find pics.....

(SPACE)

I am very lucky. The home where most of my time is spent is here in las Vegas, Henderson actually, I also have two homes in Finland, one on a farm the other on the beach, Our 4th home is in Kochi Japan,and that is my wifes, but we share all 4 as that is what married people do. :D

Here is a photo of the Finland beach house, built 100 years ago by my great grandfather. The Gulf of Finland is

on the other side of this land that in the winter freezes, allowing one to drive to Sweden across the ice.

copyoftriptofinlandjulyhd4.jpg

Ah, once you got there you'd realize you don't NEED the internet. Just a candle and a good book and a warm

sleeping bag. Sleep under the stars and relish the cold. It just can't get any better than that.

The Call of the Wild -Robert Service

Sage, my man! I should practice what you preach!

I'm fortunate enough to have several places I can call home. But my true home will always be our house on the island where I grew up. My parents still live there, and my father has made the old boat house into a little condo by the sea.

This is where us kids go in summer to relax. You can fish from the seaside windows and lobster and crab are easily had 50-100 meters from the door. There's a little beach right next to it, and a floating pier where we start when we dive and watersport.

No cars, everybody is related and it's 15 minutes from the city by boat. No better place for a kid to grow up. :)

islandds6bb9.jpg

Picture taken from my cousin's FIB (Flying Inflatable Boat)

There's absolutely nothing stopping you, and you've got the cool IDF watch for it!

Here ya go... drive up into the mountains this weekend, bring nothing but some matches, a warm hat

and a tarp. Build a small fire, skip dinner, roll up in the tarp and listen to the night. Watch the stars.

No distractions, just enjoy the solitude. I've done this in a snowbank, it CAN be done.

You'll go home a changed man.

Cool idea!

27039686088f7cee29omi8.jpg