When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some suit ideas here

llsteve80

Ok so I'll be busting out my new suit for New years, its a CK black pinstripe, 3 button single breasted with flat front pants. The shirt and tie combos are endless, for shirts I have dark blue, baby blue, black, light blue with dark blue stripes, black/plum/dark purple stripes, white, charcaol, blue with white collar & french cuffs, few more shades of blue. I'd like to buy a new tie anyway, but i have tons with blue/black, blue/dark blue, white/black houndstooth etc. I'd throw some pics in but I'm really lazy right now.

Also, what watch? my fave black/ss sub, or maybe a two tone/blue sub, 2-tone DJ with jubilee, or 2-tone GMT? I'll probably have a 6263 rep by then too, going for black with white subdials.

Ok so I'll be busting out my new suit for New years, its a CK black pinstripe, 3 button single breasted with flat front pants. The shirt and tie combos are endless, for shirts I have dark blue, baby blue, black, light blue with dark blue stripes, black/plum/dark purple stripes, white, charcaol, blue with white collar & french cuffs, few more shades of blue. I'd like to buy a new tie anyway, but i have tons with blue/black, blue/dark blue, white/black houndstooth etc. I'd throw some pics in but I'm really lazy right now.

Also, what watch? my fave black/ss sub, or maybe a two tone/blue sub, 2-tone DJ with jubilee, or 2-tone GMT? I'll probably have a 6263 rep by then too, going for black with white subdials.

Wear whatever tie you like...bring the suit to the store and have at it.

IMO, the 6263 is the only one of the above watches I'd wear w/ a suit. I know I'm in the minority but subs and GMT's w/ suits are like Nikes w/ suits and a bling DJ is..well..a bling DJ. If you're going anywhere people may know what a Daytona is the best favor you can do for yourself is to go buy a nice pair of shoes for Xmas. Really nice shoes. Few people will be able to tell your suit's a CK, but if you wear that Daytona w/ a pair of Florsheims you're going to get (silently, maybe) called out.

Good lord, ask me what I'm wearing tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day, or even this weekend and I couldn't tell you... let alone what I'm wearing on New Years Eve. However, I am fairly confident that my ensemble will include clean undies.

And get called out for Florsheims? I haven't purchased a pair of Florsheims in years, but always thought they were pretty decent, as long as you keep them well polished and don't let them get too old (which applies to any shoes). I guess I'm not a shoe guy, except for that they have to be super comfortable, which is why I wear Eccos almost exclusively.

High budget more classy:

Zegna Dark blue wool/silk milano two button suit and IWC Portugese Chrono(cream or dark blue dial) B)

Low budget:

Cerruti black wool three button with Seadweller/Sub or white gold/ss DJ with jubilee band and cream dial

D&G black wool two button with Panerai Daylight black dial, thick calf dark brown strap or ss HBB.

High budget more classy:

Zegna Dark blue wool/silk milano two button suit and IWC Portugese Chrono(cream or dark blue dial) B)

Low budget:

Cerruti black wool three button with Seadweller/Sub or white gold/ss DJ with jubilee band and cream dial

D&G black wool two button with Panerai Daylight black dial, thick calf dark brown strap or ss HBB.

OMG! Totally two thumbs up to what Iceberg said, Llsteve80. There's a person who knows what's what.

I think we had this conversation on the shoutbox, so you know my suggestion. ;)

(Not the two-tone, not the two-tone, not the two-tone)

Ok thanks for the suggestions everyone. The reason I'm planning so far ahead is because last year I saw a few people who looked better than me and that [censored] my concieted ass off.:) Plus I want an excuse to wear my new suit, it's got a good cut and looks good on me, CK seems to be made for slender people like myself. I have a tailor made suit from some shop in CHI, don't remember what it called, sorry, but at the time I bought it, pleats were in and now I can't stand pleats so that baby is out of there.

Last year I had a dark charcoal with a white shirt and black/silver tie, similar to the one you showed me Vic, so I kinda want to stay away from that. I found a pinstripe suit that doesn't make it look like I'm 6'1 100lbs, so I'm happy about that and I want to rock it out. Picking up a studded belt to go with it for some flair or whatever, but most of the time it won't be visible.

Even after all of this, watch me change my mind at the last minute. Friday we're going to go downtown and pick the hotel and stuff, it was supposed to be a few weeks ago but someone couldn't go so we postponed.

What should I wear to thanksgiving? Since it's at my place, I'm thinking about some dark grey flanel pajama pants, a t-shirt, and a terry cloth robe. Footwear would be either 1 grey sock and one white, or no socks and some fuzzy slippers. I think the DJ would go with that ensemble very well.....:p

Ironic, but I'm in the process of booking a room in downtown Chicago for the holidays myself. My wife are visiting her sister in Oak Brook between Christmas and New Years, but don't want to spend the whole time with family. Instead we'll pretend to be tourists on Michigan Ave. (My wife lived the first 35 years of her life in Chicago and I lived there 12 years.) for three or four of the days between Christmas and New Years. The choices are between the Drake for perfect location and tradition, and the Intercontinental for its awesome pool -- and possibly the Wyndham, which is just around the corner from the Drake and has a pool and is offering a pretty nice discount package. But I think it's going to be the Intercontinental.

Ironic, but I'm in the process of booking a room in downtown Chicago for the holidays myself. My wife are visiting her sister in Oak Brook between Christmas and New Years, but don't want to spend the whole time with family. Instead we'll pretend to be tourists on Michigan Ave. (My wife lived the first 35 years of her life in Chicago and I lived there 12 years.) for three or four of the days between Christmas and New Years. The choices are between the Drake for perfect location and tradition, and the Intercontinental for its awesome pool -- and possibly the Wyndham, which is just around the corner from the Drake and has a pool and is offering a pretty nice discount package. But I think it's going to be the Intercontinental.

I was at the Drake last year, great place but the windows didn't open so we had to remove them. Ambassador right across the street is nice too. If you go to the Drake, I reccomend the Coq D'or for some good lounge activity with nice Jazz music. This year I'm leaning towards the Hilton on Michigan ave, but I don't know about everyone else. If you're planning on going to one of the New Year's balls, its best to get tickets asap, they skyrocket as soon as December hits. IMO, the Drake has the best party, then Hilton and palmer house. Drake and Palmer are black tie events, and the Hilton is a little more trendy.

The ultimate most understated classy suite watch is a datejust hands down....looks amazing with just about any suite/shirt/tie combo...Heres my frankenjust with 1 of my brooks brothers suite and brooks brothers french cuff shirt

I agree, when people actually notice what it is they're like, hey thats sweet.....But I prefer my tie on my neck and my DJ on the wrist :p All jokes aside, thats a great combo you have going on there.

@vbarret

:) i like women with understanding of taste

Why thank you, Iceberg!

I have to say that regards Germans (politicians), I am reminded of Wolfgang Joop's famous quip, that they all have that "Mutti-dressed-me look".

:lol:

But one of the most elegant guys I ever met was Joachim Fest. Perfection.