When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looked at a Sea Dweller at the AD today

section8

I'm not a huge Rolex fan, but I decided to stop in our local Rolex AD while out and about old town today with the wife. Looked at a Sea Dweller and was quite impressed with it. First thing i noticed was how much more solid it felt than my LV Sub from Paul. The salesmen was nice enough, but didn't seem overly eager to get a sale and I'm pretty sure he didn't even notice the 177 on my wrist - not that i cared really but I always hope to at least have a nice watch conversation when I go into an AD. Oh well.

All in all, a very nice piece but I'm still not sure that I need to ever lay out the cash for a gen Rolex.

I'm not a huge Rolex fan, but I decided to stop in our local Rolex AD while out and about old town today with the wife. Looked at a Sea Dweller and was quite impressed with it. First thing i noticed was how much more solid it felt than my LV Sub from Paul. The salesmen was nice enough, but didn't seem overly eager to get a sale and I'm pretty sure he didn't even notice the 177 on my wrist - not that i cared really but I always hope to at least have a nice watch conversation when I go into an AD. Oh well.

All in all, a very nice piece but I'm still not sure that I need to ever lay out the cash for a gen Rolex.

Isn't the difference in your hands amazing between a rep and a genuine? My jeweler was taught, as an AD for Rolex, how to spot fakes, not visually, but by handling them. Like slamming the car door and kicking the tires at the 1950s cardealer, the best test for quality is a solid and smooth experience in touching the product.

i think the super sd is just as good ..

I'm with you there. Some people here say "remember, it's just a cheap replica". The way I see it is that a good rep has a rubber sealed stainless steel oyster case much like a gen. From what I've seen a good rep can be water resistant enough for me, I'm no diver. Not that many professional divers would actually use a SD anyway.

To be honest I'd rather have an ETA movement because if it fails, I can just replace it for alot less that what a gen costs to service (but then again, I ain't rich). I've had 5 gen Rollies and 1 gen Omega SMP, as I said I'm not rich so I bought used. I had to get every one of them serviced or repaired which added up quite abit.

I think eventually I'll get a Sub or SD that I am happy with and install a gen tube and crown. That will be all the watch I'd ever need.

Just got back from the rollie AD in town. I wore my super SD under my sleeve and had a moment to compare them...

Besides the CGs, pearl, and the slightly fatter bezel insert font...its an amazing rep...

Without being right next to the real deal....no way you can tell its a rep...

-d

I'm no diver. Not that many professional divers would actually use a SD anyway.

I'd agree with most of your reasons for owning a Rep.. however, you can be sure that pro divers USE SD's...

Rolex sells roughly 25% of ALL QUALITY SWISS WATCHES... I can guarantee they all aren't Safe Queens... don't believe it?

Just look at TheMuck's limited sample of 17 divers and supervisory divers... SD's outnumber Subs 4 to 1, company issued (FREE!?!) Panerai 8 to 1, CHEAP G-Shocks 4 to 1, Breitling SO 8 to 1, Omega SM 8 to 1 and Divex 8 to 1 as well... with SD accounting for about HALF the dive watches in the sample... (and Subs outnumbering everything but SD and G-Shock 2 to 1... meaning Rolex itself accounted for over 5/8 ths of the sample.)

I'd agree with most of your reasons for owning a Rep.. however, you can be sure that pro divers USE SD's...

Rolex sells roughly 25% of ALL QUALITY SWISS WATCHES... I can guarantee they all aren't Safe Queens... don't believe it?

Just look at TheMuck's limited sample of 17 divers and supervisory divers... SD's outnumber Subs 4 to 1, company issued (FREE!?!) Panerai 8 to 1, CHEAP G-Shocks 4 to 1, Breitling SO 8 to 1, Omega SM 8 to 1 and Divex 8 to 1 as well... with SD accounting for about HALF the dive watches in the sample... (and Subs outnumbering everything but SD and G-Shock 2 to 1... meaning Rolex itself accounted for over 5/8 ths of the sample.)

Wow, those are some impressive stats. If i ever do become a professional diver, I now know which watch to get.

Just got back from the rollie AD in town. I wore my super SD under my sleeve and had a moment to compare them...Besides the CGs, pearl, and the slightly fatter bezel insert font...its an amazing rep...Without being right next to the real deal....no way you can tell its a rep...-d

I agree with Dave_NYC. I've owned a gen SD, and find my SSD (Puretime) to be very close in terms of feel, fit and finish. I've oiled the bracelet, which helped things considerably. The endlinks on my particular SD are on par with gen, IMO - perfect fit, no slop, beefy springbars.

Funny, because all of the stats I have seen seem to suggest just the opposite -- that relatively few professional divers, these days, wear a Rolex (or other luxury diving watch) when diving. Most wear a cheap digital because they offer more features & functions, are able to work under similar pressures, are more accurate & cheap/easy to replace when they get scratched/dented/damaged during work. It is different today than it was back in the 1960's or 1970's, when Subs & Seadwellers were about the only option for reliable time keeping under extreme conditions.