When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Refinishing Breitling Chronomat Evo Bracelet

UB7

Hey folks, looking for some suggestions on how I can polish up and restore my BCE full polished bracelet to like new condition? I remember when I first got and posted it, ByTor said its very easy to restore the bracelet to like new condition..Cape cod gets it nice and shiny but I want to take the scratches out and make it look new, whats that stuff you guys use, is it Brasso? Please help I dont want to get the wrong stuff and mess it up :D Thanks guys!

PA050122_2-2.jpg

UB if you don't have a dremel with a polishing wheel you may want to invest in one.. about 35 usd in the hardware store.. u can use the red rouge and finish with aluminum paste polish. i find this better than the jewelers rouge.. then finish that with a soft undershirt and more aluminum polish.. don't use brasso IMO it's too abrasive for finishing to a mirror shine... email me for more info and pics if you want.

the dremel will take out the scratches.. if you want to do it by hand just get aluminum polish at a bike shop (harley) get billet aluminum polish... and work the polish with a soft cloth.. undershirts work good... baby diapers are the best for finishing.

Thanks lan!! I do indeed have a dremel with polishing wheel, didnt think of that...Will that buff the scratches out?

post-2172-1196047690_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1196047764_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1196047807_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1196047853_thumb.jpg

ok sorry for the blurr... rushing... well actually all my pics are blurred... <_<

eagle one rim aluminum mag polish great stuff this has lasted about 6 years... don't know if they still make this one.. but any billet aluminum (polished aluminum ) will work .. better to get paste .. easier to work with.

this polishing wheel is known as a "cutter" meaning it will take out the scratches .. this is not a "finishing " wheel a finishing wheel is soft and fluffy.. can't find one for the dremel so i finish by hand and a soft cloth . old undershirt..

put the paste on the wheel with your finger.. don't do it next to your computer screen it goes all over the place.. use high speed on your dremel.

hold the bracelet links tight so they are stretched

remember it's not how hard you press the dremel.. let the paste do the cutting and polishing work,use polish liberally.. remember a dry wheel will leave heavy swirls edit add on: if it's heavy scratches get the red rouge at the hardware store that sells the dremel

finish with the cloth and more polish to take out the fine web swirls.. in the sun the swirls look terrible.. then get a soft bristle tooth brush and get the paste out of in between the links and areas that you cannot get to with the cloth.. i keep my braclets lookin new all the time..

note: this wheel is a little too worn,when its uneven (the wheel) you have sahrp edges that can leave ridges in the SS..stay away from the bezel...LOL.. don't get carried away .. less is more :lol:

good luck UB t a k e y o u r t i m e have fun.. good luck :D

never mind the mess the paste will turn black no worries this is the metal turning the polish black

Thanks lan, thats some awesome information you are the man! So after I use the dremel the watch will be covered in paste? Should I tape over the sapphire? And what about the bezel, should I not touch the bezel with the dremel? After I finish with the dremel, than use toothbrush and work more of the paste (the same paste that goes on the dremel?) and work in between links etc...Than after this, use a t-shirt and wipe off all the paste? Than finish it with cape cod or something like that? What is that eagle one stuff is that the paste? It turns black when applied w/ dremel? Thanks again for this great information, you rock!

Thanks lan, thats some awesome information you are the man! So after I use the dremel the watch will be covered in paste? Should I tape over the sapphire? And what about the bezel, should I not touch the bezel with the dremel? After I finish with the dremel, than use toothbrush and work more of the paste (the same paste that goes on the dremel?) and work in between links etc...Than after this, use a t-shirt and wipe off all the paste? Than finish it with cape cod or something like that? What is that eagle one stuff is that the paste? It turns black when applied w/ dremel? Thanks again for this great information, you rock!

after the dremel wipe the bracelet with a cloth

then put polish just a little on the undershirt and polish in small areas .. circular motion .. wax on wax off ... Mr. Miyagi style, this is the "finishing"

the toothbrish is not for polishing.. it is to take the residue of the paste off, in the cracks, don't leave any behind, when it dry's it will turn white and look like sh*t .. just for taking the excess polish out of the cracks.(toothbrush)

no need to tape the crystal just stay away from the bezel, you'll turn the stain finish into highly polished SS like the bracelet.. i polish the bezel with a cloth and very little paste to make the satin finish shinny .. but still stay satin .. ub just stay away from the bezel bud

no need to use cap code after this, this will be all you need .. the shine may blind you while driving :lol: .. if you use cape code..wash the area with warm water.. solvent in cape code may give you a rash on your wrist

1. dremel ... put polish on the wheel .... speading it on with your finger

2. polish with paste and undersirt.. to remove fine swirs you will see in the sunlight

3 tooth brush to get excess polish out of the cracks

PAU... hawaiian for finito .. finished ... done .. go sleep

@Rolexman - I read your post before I started this thread, thats why I asked about brasso - (and great post BTW)...So you prefer brasso to a dremel for doing polished bands etc? Its not to abrasive for a mirror shine? I need to buy a polishing wheel for my dremel - going to home depot later...

Just tuned into this one, so I'll throw in my two cents. A dremel is well worth the investment. I almost always will remove the bracelet and lay flat. For a heavily scratched strap I'll use a heavy duty automotive polish (red paste type). I'll smear this over the watch band, then with a wet polishing wheel I'll go to town. This will generally get you to 90% very quickly. I'll then clean and apply a brass and silver cleaner. Again, with a damp polishing wheel, I go over the whole thing. Another cleaning with soapy water, and possibly a once over with a clean, dry wheel.

I pretty much dismantling as much as possible (Caseback, bezel, etc), especially on Breits as these polishes will mark the AR very quickly.

Edited by andreww

@Rolexman - I read your post before I started this thread, thats why I asked about brasso - (and great post BTW)...So you prefer brasso to a dremel for doing polished bands etc? Its not to abrasive for a mirror shine? I need to buy a polishing wheel for my dremel - going to home depot later...

Brasso in combination with a Dremel works perfect. It gives a more even result than polishing by hand due to the high RPM.

Finish with a Cape Cod cloth wrapped around a cotton wheel. Again due to the high RPM of the Dremel it gives the perfect end result. BLING BLING :p

Check this out:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...3&hl=dremel

here are the shots UB.. correct silver hands even though some pics appear to be black on the collectors site.. it's the reflection off the background that make them appear black...

I've polished the clasp with the dremel numerous times.. and finished with a hand applied finish.. i like it clean without swirls when it hits the daylight at different angles..

but andrew has done this also numerous times and it loks like Roexman also has options so what ever you do looks good.. i just prefer aluminium paste ... for me it does not fly all over the place .. easier to control for me..

post-2172-1196118483_thumb.jpg see silver hands on this although they look black in the collectors pics

post-2172-1196118823_thumb.jpg the clasp has been dremeled numerous times along with the rest of the bracelet.. still have to get some wet sand paper and take out the unfinished factory gouges.. see by the top

@Baron - The BCE is 1st generation single AR / black hands / best version white dial (IMO) - From Andrew @ trustytime

I have the same one which was actually advertised as 2nd gen, the white dial is more silvery in colour with green lume hands. I was told this didn't exist in real life until I found this picture on Blowers site :)

post-1138-1196179542_thumb.jpg