When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling hand repair, tube replacement.

RWG Technical

Breitling hand repair.

The Asian 7750, unlike the ETA 7750, has varying thicknesses depending on the subdial layout. A 7750 has subdials at 12-9-6, whereas a 7753 has them at 3-6-9. On the ETA there is no difference in thickness between a 7750 or 7753.

On the Asian movement, the transfer gears for the 30 minute subdial are above the calendar wheel, and therefore make the movement thicker.

Most remember the Breitlings that came with the backwards chrono seconds hand. Well I got one of these in for a hand replacement, problem was, the new hand was made for a 7750 not a 7753 layout, and the hand tube was too short.

Because the Asian 7753 is thicker, the hour and minute wheels end up further away from the mainplate, and the chrono seconds gear and hand post ends up below the top of the minute wheel, not above it as it would be on a 7750.

So we had a problem, trying to source a new hand would not be easy, and the odds of it being too short were high. Getting the message across that we needed a 7753 longer tube hand vs a 7750 shorter tube hand, was also proving to be difficult.

The only option that I could think of trying, was to remove the tube from the backwards

5.jpg

unbelievable :blink:

it must be pretty thrilling to successfully complete these kinds of projects ziggy -- i can't imagine trying to pick up that tube let alone press & glue it to a tiny watch hand....:o

one thing is for sure -- there is going to be one happy breitling owner reading this topic today :victory:

deltatahoe

Guest watchbuff

Wow The Zigmeister, tose are some of the smallest components to handle!

I wathed my watch guru nazi do this and gotta say it was a task that nnede all windows and doors shut and absolute silence. ( he liked it like that) I think the watch was a vintage Gruen. What do you charge for some job like this? It is not exactly on "your list".

OR is it just easier to get a second hand with a longertube as opposed to effecting this repair?

Hey Zig, I know exactly how difficult this procedure is because I had to do the same thing when I accidentally knocked the tube off the second hand of a particularly rare rep. I tell you, I felt like a micro surgeon when I finally got that watch back together! Great job, and thanks for bringing back memories of that nightmare!