When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wind a watch? what's that?

BobM

This past week I was in Florida visiting my Son. My 22-year old grandson there has the hots for a black Submariner, so we talked a bit about watches. I was telling him about one of my watches ... telling how I set and wind that old watch each day. He looked puzzled, "Wind the watch? Why do you do that?"..

"Why, because I want the watch to run and keep time", I said. He stll looked puzzled. Then I realized ... he is too young to have routinely experienced anything but battery operated digital watches or automatic mechanical watches! He had no idea! Amazing.

Later, I was telling my wife about that conversation and she related a similar story to me. She was saying that one of her friends gave an older, very high-end, quality watch out of her jewelery box to her daughter-in-law. But after some period of time when she noticed the daughter-in-law was not wearing the watch, she asked why. Her son's wife replied, "It doesn't run". The lady asked, "Did you wind it?" Daughter-in-law, "Wind it? What is that?"

My goodness! :o

My goodness! :o

Really.

Well, at least those folks know what a watch is... The next generation is going to have mobile phones directly implanted into their brains...

I was winding one of my Pam's the other day and a guy asked me if it was an old pocket watch I had mounted on a strap??? He said so because he didn't have any clue as to A) why was I winding a NEW watch and B) the size of the thing.

Unfortunately this guy was mid thirties so young age wasn't an excuse.