When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross replacement DG2813 mechanism doesn't fit - why?

Tom

I have had to try and replace the asian mechanism in my 46mm B&R PVD/Orange as it stopped ticking.

I did some research and settled on the Chinese DG2813 mechanism from Cousins as the photos looked absolutely identical from the one I took out of the watch.

However I tried to fit the mechanism today and although the stem fits as do the hands its seems to be too deep. I have yet to do a proper measurement, but I am sure they are the same yet they dont appear to be.

Can anyone tell me what the mechanism used in this rep actually is? I am desperate to get it back up and running

I have had to try and replace the asian mechanism in my 46mm B&R PVD/Orange as it stopped ticking.

I did some research and settled on the Chinese DG2813 mechanism from Cousins as the photos looked absolutely identical from the one I took out of the watch.

However I tried to fit the mechanism today and although the stem fits as do the hands its seems to be too deep. I have yet to do a proper measurement, but I am sure they are the same yet they dont appear to be.

Can anyone tell me what the mechanism used in this rep actually is? I am desperate to get it back up and running

Ok I have measured it and while the mechanism is outwardly identical - the mechanism I am trying to fit it twice the thickness. Can anyolne shed any light? Please!

Tom,

Don't know what came originally with the B & R, hope someone here can help.

Does the old movement not have any markings?

This link, which I posted the other day may assist.

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchTools/Gen...reMovements.htm

Specifically scroll to the bottom of that page, and relink to the tech drawings from Seagull.

May help!

Offshore

Right, well on further inspection there are a number of differences between what you get in a 46mm B&R and what you get in the 39mm.

I alway thought they were conning us a bit with the B&R 46mm, but it is indeed a special mechanism - it looks identical but is about 1.5mm thinner than a standard cheepo chinese mechanism.

I cannot find a chinese one even 1mm near to this mechanism and think they must have been specially built for the B&R reps.

My hunt goes on, but at the moment hours spent surfing the web for a chinese mechanism which is under 4mm thick have proved fruitless.

Anyone with a 46mm Bell and Ross watch - look after it because that mechanim is more difficult to find than the genuine ETA

Tom

The DG 2813 is 5.87mm in height

The DG 4813 is 4.60mm in height

hope this helps

Thanks for this. The mechanism which comes in the BR01-92 is only 3.6mm in height and I cannot find one of this height anywhere on the internet, the 4.6mm is the nearest. Back to the drawing board...

• 3 months later...

After 6 months or more I STILL have not found a replacement to put into my BR01-92.

They are all too thick, except for the Seagull ST18 which cannot be used as the stem release pin is in the wrong place for the B&R case.

It seems that nobody can help, not the dealer I bought it from anyone...

Just goes to show you should double check how easy a replaceement mechanism is to get hold of in case this happens.

Meantime, if anyone know where I can get a 3.6mm thick chinese mechanism exactly the same style as the 4813 I would be grateful...the search goes on..

Edited by Tom

If only that were so - I spent $25 on one from Cousins and it doesn't fit. It is 1mm too thick so that when the case is screwed down the rotor won't spin.

You are correct in that it is visually identical to the 4813 but the original mechanism is 3.6mm thick and the 4813 is 4.6mm. Thanks for the solid back of the B&R case there is no room for error - even 1mm.

Edited by Tom

I've now been looking for this mechanism for 9 months or so and no luck.

I now think it must have been made specifically for these B&R watches as the other more standard Asian 21J's wouldn't fit in the smaller case.

Although they call it the Asian 2892 the only thing it has in common is the depth - it shares no other commonalities like the Seagull ST18.

I just don't think it's going to happen now, if my dealer can't get one ive got no hope. I suppose it should be a warning to anyone wanting a 46mm B&R - you won't be able to replace the mechanism when it breaks down.