When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Roadster GMT

bubba

I was curious as to what you guys think about the Cartier Roadster GMT. The look of it has really been growing on me; its sporty, classy and a large watch, I like all of those qualities. My wife likes it too, as she is the one who pointed it out to me, which makes buying a watch much easier. (she hates my hobby on most days) .

Is Cartier considered more jewelry than a watch?

Are the movements any good?

Are they tough?(i would baby it either way)

Is there any info just worth knowing about Cartier or the Roadster GMT in particular?

Can you point me to any links or articles.

I have really not been able to find much information on it on the Internet and its killin me. I enjoy researching watches I am thinking of purchasing. That is half the fun, getting to know your watch (for me anyway)! Is there a quality rep. of this watch that I could buy or be aware of in case I buy a used Gen?

What do you think?

Thanks...

post-2688-1197074871_thumb.jpg

Is Cartier considered more jewelry than a watch?

Yes.

Are the movements any good?

Very reliable, since they are quartz -- I'm talking of gens as much as reps. Yes, $18,000 for a gen quartz. What can you do, it's a Cartier.

Are they tough?(i would baby it either way)

Our first Cartier (Tankissime) from June is still going strong. But the mills of gold need to be reapplied. And by "our" I mean my mother and I use the same watch.

Is there any info just worth knowing about Cartier or the Roadster GMT in particular?

They are elegant watches, suited for certain frames and types of people. Robertk wears a Pasha Seatimer in black, and he looks manly, macho, call it what you will.

But my hairdresser does too, and he looks quite gay wearing the same watch. The python strap imported from Paris doesn't help, though.

Overall, the beefy Roadster is custom-made for men who are self-conscious about wearing what might be considered a marque for women (plainly not the case...).

Can you point me to any links or articles.

Well, there's this recent one I replied to ZainoDetail.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=366898

Don't let the title throw you.

I have really not been able to find much information on it on the Internet and its killin me. I enjoy researching watches I am thinking of purchasing. That is half the fun, getting to know your watch (for me anyway)! Is there a quality rep. of this watch that I could buy or be aware of in case I buy a used Gen?

Darling, President Bill Clinton wears a Roadster. He looks great with it, but they are an acquired taste. My only advice to you is head to your nearest Cartier AD or Cartier boutique and try them on.

What do you think?

Go to Andrew of Trustytime. He's got the best Cartier reps we've been able to find. And by best, I mean closest to gen.

Another possibility, if you're not fussy about details is Wackobirdkeeper of RWI, a competing rep watch forum.

The movement in this one is an automatic. I went searching for info on the Cartier automatic movements and found nothing.

I just tried it on at the Cartier at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas last week, and showing from the sleeves of a sports coat it looked pretty freakin good to me. the GMT is larger than the regular Roadster. I prefer it for its larger size rather than the GMT feature.

I laughed out loud when you said your hairdresser looks quite gay in it. "Quite" was the funny word to me. anyway I got a kick out of it!

Thanks for your insight.

I currently own a Cartier Roadster GMT black dial in asian 21j. I have to say it is a very classy watch. Recently I bought a Panerai 111h and the Cartier hasn't got as much wristime as it used to, but I think thats because of my fascination with Panerai's :)

The Cartier is definitely a classy/dressy watch, and as pointed out by Victoria, suited for certain people. Here is a wristshot for reference (apologies about the shaky shot)

wristshots008.jpg

I currently own a Cartier Roadster GMT black dial in asian 21j. I have to say it is a very classy watch. Recently I bought a Panerai 111h and the Cartier hasn't got as much wristime as it used to, but I think thats because of my fascination with Panerai's :)

The Cartier is definitely a classy/dressy watch, and as pointed out by Victoria, suited for certain people. Here is a wristshot for reference (apologies about the shaky shot)

wristshots008.jpg

How big is that case?? That looks a little larger than the standard 38mm fair.

It's about 39mm give or take. When I measured with a tape measure it was showing as 40mm however when I measured with a pair of body fat calipers it shows 39mm :)

Both methods are not accurate so it's around there. Pictures can be deceiving :) I might actually sell this one as I'm thinking of getting a Cartier Santos.

This is a really good pdf of a test of the Cartier Roadster: Watchtime Cartier Roadster

The archive section at Watchtime is a very good source for test/ articles of watches! Here is an article about the Cartier Pasha.

Cult watch Cartier Pasha

Inside Cartier

EDIT: The first page of this article appears to be blank, but the remaining four pages are there.

:smile:

Thanks for your links, They are what i have been looking for. I am contemplating buying the real thing. I think it is a really beautiful watch. I have enough gen (omega) divers and a couple of rep Panerai and i dont even touch my rep rolexes, I think its time for something gen and classy.

Thanks for your links, They are what i have been looking for. I am contemplating buying the real thing. I think it is a really beautiful watch. I have enough gen (omega) divers and a couple of rep Panerai and i dont even touch my rep rolexes, I think its time for something gen and classy.

Youre welcome!

I agree that Cartiers are classy, and not that expensive to buy used.

I was slightly tired of all my "sports" watches and decided to buy something different. The choice was either the Roadster or the Pasha Seatimer, and I ended up with the Pasha.. A watch that even my girlfriend will use!

DSC_3448.jpg

Thats a nice looking watch. Is that a gen or rep? I have also been looking at the new ballon bleu. Now i just dont know what to do. I think i still like the Roadster. We will see.

It is a rep, from Ruby. Very well made, except that the double-fliplok clasp is rather stiff to use. Quite striking design, with a beautiful cutout for the date. I will make a review on this in some days.

DSC_3472.jpg

DSC_3471.jpg

The Ballon Bleu is an unusual design for Cartier. Strange watch, but maybe it will become a classic as well.

bubba,

i have found the cartiers (gen) carried by some deep discount chains, like costco, or even filene's basement (boston). you can buy them at 35-40% discount to a mainline retailer or jeweler.

on the topic of the pashas... i too caught the bug for the "Pasha Grid." I don't wear it often, but I always liked the odd grid styling and history. the one pictured has an eta 2836 or 2824.

capsgrid383replicagy2.jpg

Shot at 2006-09-21

pashagrid46sd.jpg

Shot at 2005-08-23

I think it is funny that someone mentioed they are all quartz. I actually pulled out my pasha, tank and roadster guess what all were an automatic movement. I think the little itty bitty girly watches may be quartz...

They are indeed not all quartz watches and the Cartier name is a long and historically recognized fine watch brand, not jewelry, although their line of Jewlery is well known, the quality of the watches they make are legendary.