When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No More Paypal From Silix

Lollipop

Straight from the horse's mouth: :g:

From now on, we do not accept Paypal anymore. Enough is enough, Paypal routinely limits our accounts for no explanation, and it is nearly impossible to work with, we have sufferred big loss. We decide to give the money back to our customers as discount, rather to feed those assholes. From today on, we only accept Western Union, bank transfer, MoneyBookers, and credit card, and all orders will get 10% off. We are sorry for any inconvience it may have brough to you, but if we all start to use other online payment system, eventually we will get over it.

A sad day, future doesn't look too bright as more and more dealers choose to leave one of the few convenient payment methods for us buyers. That said, I understand it if they experience a lot of hazzle using it, but for me it's a step backwards, and more important even a step away from future purchases.

I used WU for the first time recently, and sorry to say, I don't think I will do it again. Apart from the lack of security, the whole process was annoying: I registered at their local website, so far so good. Then to the transaction part. Only name, city and country could be entered into fields, no adress, no zip, no [censored]ing nothing more with respect to adress of the receipient. That makes at least me to wonder. Then to the amount to transfer, at least that should be straightforward. No no my friend. Sending money to country 'a' in currency 'b' ? Not here. I had to convert from USD into my local currency, and from there into the local currency of the receipient. The only thing which was clear all the way was the WU fee of approx 10%. Finally done, ENTER. No, not yet my friend. e-mail from WU in the inbox: 'please call us to complete the transaction, we need additional information in order to approve the transaction'. Called and spendt 20 minutes with a customer support person that didn't know why I was asked to call! Then finally, he approved the transaction and sendt the money.

As said, I don't think I will use them for future purchases. Furthermore, they have a quite low sending limit as well, so it limits itself.

Seems I have to stick to dealers using PayPal or wire transfer with IBAN/BIC.

no no WESTERN UNION

sometime i have bought watch-boxes from china (a seller from ioffer.com)

the price for items was 51euro... and i have paid 26euro WU fees??? total 78euro

belive me friends i am not luying... 50% WU fees????????

why is WU so expansive... or only in germany (i am from germany)???

:thumbdown:

It is great to work for a bank and free international wires as many as I want hehe. -_-

Paypal is good for buyers NOT for sellers for SURE.

Do you wire to the dealers here, do many of them accept direct wire transfers ? I think this is the best way to go for the future, at least if you have patience to wait for the transfer to go through.

Do you wire to the dealers here, do many of them accept direct wire transfers ? I think this is the best way to go for the future, at least if you have patience to wait for the transfer to go through.

Just a reminder, normally a bank will charge $20+ for a wire transfer. It is pretty fast, a couple of days. I wired last friday and the dealer received it and shipped out my stuff on Tuesday. 2 working business days.

I'll try to help and clear up a few things by sharing my personal experiences. Keep in mind I have never dealt w/ Silix but hear good things!

Moneybookers SUCKS! :thumbdown: They set limits on how much you can "upload". And because you "upoad" the money it is treated as cash. People say its the "Paypal of EU" but thats bull$it. Paypal transfers money from one person to another for a service or goods. Moneybookers takes funds and turns them into cash, which can then be transfered to another person for whatever you want. So if you use your credit card thinking it is like paypal your credit card company will charge you ridiculous cash advance fees and percentage rates. Basically I opened an account with them months ago for a dealer in HK that isn't on these forums. I uploaded $10 or so. Then realized the most money I could upload for the remainder of the month was an additional $60. When a watch costs $100+ what the hell good does $60 do? So then I get my statement from my credit card company and they've charged me like $15-20 in freaking fees for that $10. Not to mention that the $10 has since been left stagnant in that account since then. I got half the charges back from my Credit Card company when I explained to them that I thought the website was a scam. But lost my $10 to moneybookers, chaulk it up as a learning experience.

As far as WU goes, not bad at all. You still shouldn't use your CC but can use Debit card from your Bank Account no prob. Sure it sucks to pay the additional $30-$40 in fees but if you purchase your watches in quantity its much more easily justified. I mean it would suck to order an item for $26 like someone mentioned before and pay 100% in fees but if you purchase 2-3 watches with a total of $300-$500 the $30-$30 in fees doesn't sound so bad, especially if the dealer offers a discount for your inconvenience. Also the calling representative bit for WU is a ONE TIME THING! They do this for security purposes. They will ask you "Do you know the person you are sending the money to?" If you say "No" they will say "WU does not recommend doing this and do you fully understand that WU does not accept chargebacks from CC companies?" Basically they are covering their own @ss. And as for the not being able to enter a proper address and zip code you need to remember that the postal systems in these Asian countries are different then in the US. Also I don't beleive that just any Joe Schmoe can walk into WU and say "where's my money from that dude in the US who wanted to buy a replica watch?" I'm sure they have to have the WU Control Number and also have to show some sort of identification, as you send to a specific person not just "random asian dude that sells watches in China".

Sorry to be a smart@ss but sometimes I can't help it. If I were a dealer and lost $1000s or $10000s of my hard earned money to scam artists I would ditch Paypal too!

Bottom Line: If you know and TRUST your dealer then you shouldn't have any problems with WU!

My 2 Cents!

Cheers and good hunting!

Jon :victory:

I know silix have had LOTS of problems with paypal as i have been refunded and and then paid again a number of times. They've been good about everything though as usual.

With WU, every time I make a payment they ask me to call, and the last one I did (for around USD$160) they refused to do, so I had to get to a shop with WU to do it. Considering I had sent more than double that to silix before, it was odd I was refused, although that was to Paul/Aspire :bleh:

Moneybookers incurs a charge of 7-10% when transferring money to your moneybookers, and the spend limit is only recycled every TWO MONTHS. Far too long really.

I know silix can accept dollar amounts via their credit card processor, so that may be the way to go for many people. They can also accept bank transfers, but that incurs charges ... at least from here it does :thumbdown:

From here, the only watch I paid via WU resulted in a scandalous 30% fee!

Never again.

I am more than glad to use my CC and get a 10% discount now. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, WU is not that hard to use! This if of course just my personal experience, being located in California. When wiring money to China (I've wired between $300 and $1700 at a time) the paperwork takes about 30 seconds to fill out. It doesn't matter if you don't have the recipients address and phone number because no one is going to get or cash your transfer unless they have the MTCN. I get charged USD $14 for each transfer. In order to make it more worthwhile, I order more than one watch at a time instead of dillydallying and buying one every couple of weeks.

I've been told by other members that they get charged way more than $14 when sending money to China, (maybe because they are using debit/credit cards instead of cash) and I know it's true for our European friends, so this is just my own experience. I'm sending the money from a local Ralphs supermarket. Paypal is an unregulated bank. The more people you deal with, the greater your chances are of getting screwed, that is is paypal themselves don't end up screwing you. Some members have transfered hundreds of thousands of dollars without much problem, but others have been burned right away with paypal. I fully support any of our dealers who choose to drop paypal and use WU instead.

If only there were a more economical solution in South America and Europe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, WU is not that hard to use! This if of course just my personal experience, being located in California. When wiring money to China (I've wired between $300 and $1700 at a time) the paperwork takes about 30 seconds to fill out. It doesn't matter if you don't have the recipients address and phone number because no one is going to get or cash your transfer unless they have the MTCN. I get charged USD $14 for each transfer. In order to make it more worthwhile, I order more than one watch at a time instead of dillydallying and buying one every couple of weeks.

I've been told by other members that they get charged way more than $14 when sending money to China, (maybe because they are using debit/credit cards instead of cash) and I know it's true for our European friends, so this is just my own experience. I'm sending the money from a local Ralphs supermarket. Paypal is an unregulated bank. The more people you deal with, the greater your chances are of getting screwed, that is is paypal themselves don't end up screwing you. Some members have transfered hundreds of thousands of dollars without much problem, but others have been burned right away with paypal. I fully support any of our dealers who choose to drop paypal and use WU instead.

If only there were a more economical solution in South America and Europe.

I never thought about it but I can send WU and my local grocer! Good idea, I might have to look into that. I agree with the buying more than one at a time. I'd rather spend $30 split between two watches than additional $30 per watch!

Jon :yu:

It is much cheaper for me @ the grocier in cash than online or grocer w/o cash.

D@mn I wish I had known this before. I could have saved maybe $15 or so. Next order will be done at the grocer down the street!

Thanks for the advice guys, I feel like a noob! Now I have even less problems w/ WU!

Jon :bicycle:

Last time I tried sending online they rejected it after having to call them.

It cost the same to send in cash through the local WU agent, but it was almost 20% of the value of money I was sending :angry: