When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is it easy to remove and re-insert the crystal?

8o8

My 3rd or 4th gen 45mm PO with mineral glass has developed a film. it looks as though its something on the inside of the crystal and maybe albe to wipe off. I was wondering if it was an easy task to remove this to clean it and put back?

This is about 1.5 years old and I started to notice this on the crystal about 3-4 months ago.

you might not even have to take it off to clean it. It might be the cheap AR getting funky if that watch has it on both sides. If it is the cheap AR, it should come off with soap and water. Just take off the caseback and remove the movement. Dry everything off thoroughly before reinstalling the movement. Clean environment is key, and don't handle the movement more than necessary, wear rubber gloves if you can.

Whatever you do, don't try to put the crystal back on with a freakin hockey puck!

you might not even have to take it off to clean it. It might be the cheap AR getting funky if that watch has it on both sides. If it is the cheap AR, it should come off with soap and water. Just take off the caseback and remove the movement. Dry everything off thoroughly before reinstalling the movement. Clean environment is key, and don't handle the movement more than necessary, wear rubber gloves if you can.

Whatever you do, don't try to put the crystal back on with a freakin hockey puck!

why not? seems to have worked for Fliplockbuckle...hahahaha =)

haha thanks for the replies

I was hoping to avoid using the hockey puck thats why I asked. If I can clean the crystal I was going to consider getting AR done on it. Seeing that I have another watch or 2 coming inthe post at the moment and I am interested in getting AR done on the new crytals

... I might have to ask how to get the crystals out of a IWC3717 and a PAM 111H :)

so... if I really want to do this I need to look into getting some proper tools?

So i will look to see if I can find more information on how to use these tools before I commit to buy them.

You could be well advised to have a look at this!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=322407

I found more information on crystals- fitting, types, tools required, in this, than anything else I could find on the www.

You will find that their are many types and styles of presses/grabs available. And in most cases each serves a different purpose, or different style of crystal. It is not a one does all type of enterprise.

hope it may help.

Offshore

8o8,

i like to do some mods, but i haven't wanted to 'learn' on a new watch. with the a/r, i know that some of the a/r guys here will remove and reinstall the crystal for you or have their watchsmith do it. personally, if it is a watch that i'm willing to lay out $$ for double a/r, i'd rather have a watchsmith mess around with the crystal -- one nice scratch on the bezel or crystal and you'll be thinking twice about doing it yourself. in the meantime, try removing the crystal from a beater first, see if this is something you have the patience for.

those tools are specifically designed for acrylic/plastic crystals - not mineral or sapphire. You're using the wrong thing.

For mineral and sapphire, you need a CRYSTAL PRESS. It looks like a clamp whereby it presses the crystal into place after you have aligned the crystal with the case.

Antomarty: the claw tool that you have is designed so that you can compress the plastic crystal, therefore allow you to place it into the older type cases that fit plastic crystals. Once you fit it into place, releasing the claw allows the plastic crystal to spring back into its original shape, thus holding itself into place in the case.

Hope thats clears it.

If you don

Thanks for that, so I need something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CASE-CRYSTAL-PRESS-...3QQcmdZViewItem

I'll see about taking apart my PO when I get my other watches to see if it is somthing that I can do.

I dont mind going to a professional to get things done, its just I have see professionals charge $120 to come and spend 15 min to unplug and unscrew the bits on the back of a washing machine to let the water and debris drain out the back and "fix" a washing machin, professionals telling users that Dont update your PSP firmware, send it to me and I'll do this for $50 otherwise you'll brick it etc etc... these sort of things I can do at home. I know how to hold a soldering iron so I soldered my xbox mod chip, took some time but the job's done and never had a problem. With the PS2 the job's more complicated so off it went to a professional.

I just wanted to understand what the process is and judge to see if I am capable of doing this at home. If not, then I'll find a watch smith to help me.

those tools are specifically designed for acrylic/plastic crystals - not mineral or sapphire. You're using the wrong thing.

For mineral and sapphire, you need a CRYSTAL PRESS. It looks like a clamp whereby it presses the crystal into place after you have aligned the crystal with the case.

Antomarty: the claw tool that you have is designed so that you can compress the plastic crystal, therefore allow you to place it into the older type cases that fit plastic crystals. Once you fit it into place, releasing the claw allows the plastic crystal to spring back into its original shape, thus holding itself into place in the case.

Hope thats clears it.

Clear as crystal...

Thanks, that's why I gone crazy, But as a matter of fact this wrong tool was efficient to remove safely the crystal, it did not broken it.