When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 wrist shot

fijikid

I just got this watch from Mezzanine :thumbsupsmileyanim: here on the member trading board. It is my second rep (PVD Pam 111 review posted earlier) and I couldn't be more thrilled with the watch or dealing with Mezzanine. A true gentleman and a crap photographer - my favorite kind of internet seller! The watch I recieved is stunning and in some bizarre way answers all the questions about why these watches (gens) are so legendary. They just got it right way back when and the proportion and look is just dead classic. The MBW rep captures most of the nuance that makes the vintage models so superior (IMHO). It fits my wrist perfectly and is comfortable in a you-know-its-there-and-like-it sort of way. The dial is the essence of simplicity and the domed crystal is just plain cool looking. The cyclops is a bit overdone, but I like it none-the-less. Maybe I'll have the watch long enough to actually need it. It has a slow beat ETA movement installed that hasn't lost or gained a second to my computer clock since I set it (hack feature, hello!!!) 7 hours ago and the crown screws down perfectly. I just couldn't be more pleased with this watch. Thanks Rob for a painless and highly communicative transaction - couldn't have asked for better.

Obligatory wrist shot:

rolliewrist1.jpg

WOW! what a link toa grat FIDDY! I have been looking for an affordable on eon eBay with no luck and now I have joined RWG (refferred by a eBayer) and am lookin gfor a FIDDY. YOur link mentioned Angus...

Can i get hooked up with him here or do I need to join the other site to your link?

thanks for the help and once again I thing the strap you bought looks totally ROCK STAR!

Thansk for your help,

Cor

What an awesome wrist shot that is!!

Definitely worth the wait, and I'm glad you like it. I wouldn't have sold it unless I was planning to replace it with another one in the near future! :) The watch is a classic, and fijikid is an asset to the community- glad to know it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Thanks again Mezzanine. You won't be replacing it with this one! In fact this watch is making me consider selling a bunch of my gens based on actual satisfaction derived from a watch. Once I pressure check this sucker it's buh bye Breitling and others.

OK, maybe I'm riding a big puff o' the rep-bong. I'll calm down now. B)

Thanks again Mezzanine. You won't be replacing it with this one! In fact this watch is making me consider selling a bunch of my gens based on actual satisfaction derived from a watch. Once I pressure check this sucker it's buh bye Breitling and others.

OK, maybe I'm riding a big puff o' the rep-bong. I'll calm down now. B)

It's not just you, trust me. I don't have a gen collection, but my rep collection was getting a little out of control before I got the same watch you're wearing now and decided that I was going to change my collection a bit to give more focus to these amazing vintage rollies. I'm excited for you, because you're at exactly the same point, having the same type of reaction that I did...the journey has just begun!

Finding the gen parts to get the watch further modded can be a challenge and requires patience- it's a great distraction from your other watch OCD (or maybe that's just me). :p

Think about it this way- I've reduced my rep collection significantly, but am happier with the individual pieces I have left. The price of my two modded MBW rollies? $1500 US. :o

And yet, I don't regret it a bit. They're basically genuine watches with aftermarket cases, movement and braclets (but not endlinks), and have a history and appeal that is hard to match in the world of horology.

I think that the ability to mod these vintages with genuine parts is one of the coolest things going in this hobby. I almost wish that the MBW's weren't becoming mainstream- but I don't think I'd rather have the gen (if you discount the $$), if only because there's so much more involvement, learning, care and selection/personality that is involved in their creation.

It's an immersion into the history of these watches, and you can't help but pick up the folklore as you slowly move along learning about what parts you need and why. It's weird, but the modern rollies hold very little appeal for me, and never really have. :?

If you think you like the 1680, I highly recommend you consider the 1665...I would hazaard to guess that 80% of the folks who have both probably prefer their SD. In fact...there might just be one still available in the sales forum! j/k

I'll post a review/photo session of my pair once 'the replacement sub' makes it in from Europe.