When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 005

Victoria

A long-time order I had with a collector is just not going to happen, I've figured out. So I'll order that watch from Mr. Davidsen.

It's the famous 005, which has the problem in all the reps of having the "mosca" (the logo) slanted the wrong way. But Davidsen's is correct, though I've read there are other problems -- it's too big, for one.

What do you think?

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

It comes with C1 lume. It did have C3 lume, at one point, but the markers were too green and I believe that's not correct anyway.

The 005 is the one watch I really covetted when I started this Panerai love affair. I'll get the 232 later.

005 is the only historic luminor model that I own to date...while I wish it could be a little more accurate it's my favorite model. Your pictures make me anxious to get mine back from The Zigmeister soon as I miss wearing it.

My only nit-pick...maybe it's just the lighting in the pictures but do the hands still have C3 on them and the face have C1?

Thanks for the replies, Red and ZD. :)

005 is the only historic luminor model that I own to date...while I wish it could be a little more accurate it's my favorite model. Your pictures make me anxious to get mine back from The Zigmeister soon as I miss wearing it.

I have loved it ever since I saw it somewhere else -- even before the one worn by b12a6, with vanilla Bob strap, which I loved so much I got two straps.

My only nit-pick...maybe it's just the lighting in the pictures but do the hands still have C3 on them and the face have C1?

Davidsen had one C3 model which looked like the Hulk.

DSCF4480.jpg

Guys like lume, you see.

DSCF4473.jpg

One of the RWI members posted a pic of a GEN 005, and clearly you see the markers shouldn't be this green.

dsc015019vpha9.jpg

Now that you mention it, ZainoDetail, either it's a lighting problem or you're bang on. Thanks!

P1010787.jpg

Dude, this is awesome. Thank you for expending the energy to post these wonderful shots. It makes me WANT ONE SO BADLY, you have no idea.

That's an Europelli baseball strap with white stitching, and I think perhaps an OF Paci or Paci IX on the 113? Or another Europelli, perhaps oiled down? Whichever, they are perfect.

*drool*

@Golfman: Your wristcheck is gorgeous, but what happened to that mod business? I tried to Search "005 Golfman" but I just came up with your SS allergy (which I recently got, so thanks inadvertently for that thread!). Joshua unfortunately is not an option, as I like to have it modded out of the box, but thanks so much for the heads up!

@Inmotion: Thanks. :) ...you're a great guy, and I hope that 112 works still.

Watchdude: That 005 is a beauty. When you say "older crownguard" is what killed you about yours, can you educate me on the differences between the older crownguard and a newer one?

The old CG was slightly curved, the gen is flat on top. Also, the pin wasn't flush - but I filed it down to be flush as can be seen in the wristshot.

I sold it when I had to raise some funds (the 113 too), but I plan on adding another Davidsen or two down the road (maybe an 005 or 112 and maybe a 113).

P1010349.jpg

Watchdude, I was going to PM you but this is worthy of a post -- you are one of the best photogs I've seen on this forum. Where have you been lurking, since I've never seen your Wristchecks! Amazing camera work, worthy of By-Tor, Pugwash, Jiro, Bazz, and the other camera luminaries here.

Look at that other furry strap top right in the fourth photo. That's either a Taikonaut or a Manifatture Firenze. Again, which ever it is, flawless straps, and the watch -- well forget it.

I want that Davidsen 005. Sold. Thanks! :tu:

Watchdude, I was going to PM you but this is worthy of a post -- you are one of the best photogs I've seen on this forum. Where have you been lurking, since I've never seen your Wristchecks! Amazing camera work, worthy of By-Tor, Pugwash, Jiro, Bazz, and the other camera luminaries here.

Look at that other furry strap top right in the fourth photo. That's either a Taikonaut or a Manifatture Firenze. Again, which ever it is, flawless straps, and the watch -- well forget it.

I want that Davidsen 005. Sold. Thanks! :tu:

Although I appreciate it, I'm not EVEN IN THE BALLPARK when it comes to the pros like By-Tor, Pugs, Jiro or Bazz. I get lucky from time to time - but they are 10s and I'd rank my stuff 5ish. . .

I once had about 15 top-tier straps and a number of nice reps. A modded 183, a DSN 005, DSN 113, Inge, Omega Moon, ???

I made a career change, had another kid, etc and I had to make a few sacrifices to fund other hobbies. My bills always stay paid, but my "fun money" got tight - so I unloaded all of them and kept my one gen (GMT II). When I do post, I mainly post at RWI, although I visit all the major forums.

I've got an 089 on order and two cheap straps. I'll photograph the HELL out of it when it comes in and see if I can "Wow" any of you. I'm going to fix the CG and maybe send it off for a lume job and a 'tick' at '9' since I got the one without it. With those two things, it will be pretty solid. I'm a little nervous about the 7750, but I only think I need a few months out of it before I can pull the trigger on my first gen PAM (fingers crossed).

About Davidsen - he is top notch. Both my watches came with a few "glitches". Stripped lug, stripped CG screw, all of which could be fixed with spring bars (River's are better) or some Loc-tite. You have to expect it won't be PERFECT as we are paying (Was $300ish, now creaping up towards the $400 mark) for a watch that is 99% accurate to a $4000+ gen. All in all, he puts out my favorite watches and I plan on getting an 005 or 112 from him fairly soon (could be sooner if I win my fantasy football league!).

Thanks for your kinds words and feel free to PM if you have questions.

Go order that sucker and enjoy!

-WD

I had a gen 005 on my wrist a couple of weeks ago debating between it and a couple of other models, I decided it wasn't the one for me and went with something else. But I can say the Davidsen logo is a noticeable flaw especially since it's front and center on the dial, but since no one else is offering anything better, I guess his is the lesser of two evils. I had one a while back and it was a decent rep.

watchdude, your pics made me drool haha

that 005 is definitely on my list. i've been looking for a pam with the seconds running at 9 o clock but most of them have just been repped too much (im not saying i dont love the ultimate 111 but just... not for me).

as to dsn, indeed great dealer and when I ordered my 112 he even sent me 2 extra pairs of spring bars so that took care of the soon to be stripped lug problem right away.

if your thinking of getting his 112 i would say go ahead! its really really a beauty and has to be seen in person for its full appreciation. the only thing i suggest (which im sure everyone does anyways) is to get a new strap... i got an OEM brown croc from ebay which is on right now and hoping to receive my savage strap soon (maybe today? :) )

Although I appreciate it, I'm not EVEN IN THE BALLPARK when it comes to the pros like By-Tor, Pugs, Jiro or Bazz. I get lucky from time to time - but they are 10s and I'd rank my stuff 5ish. . .

I once had about 15 top-tier straps and a number of nice reps. A modded 183, a DSN 005, DSN 113, Inge, Omega Moon, ???

I made a career change, had another kid, etc and I had to make a few sacrifices to fund other hobbies. My bills always stay paid, but my "fun money" got tight - so I unloaded all of them and kept my one gen (GMT II). When I do post, I mainly post at RWI, although I visit all the major forums.

I've got an 089 on order and two cheap straps. I'll photograph the HELL out of it when it comes in and see if I can "Wow" any of you. I'm going to fix the CG and maybe send it off for a lume job and a 'tick' at '9' since I got the one without it. With those two things, it will be pretty solid. I'm a little nervous about the 7750, but I only think I need a few months out of it before I can pull the trigger on my first gen PAM (fingers crossed).

About Davidsen - he is top notch. Both my watches came with a few "glitches". Stripped lug, stripped CG screw, all of which could be fixed with spring bars (River's are better) or some Loc-tite. You have to expect it won't be PERFECT as we are paying (Was $300ish, now creaping up towards the $400 mark) for a watch that is 99% accurate to a $4000+ gen. All in all, he puts out my favorite watches and I plan on getting an 005 or 112 from him fairly soon (could be sooner if I win my fantasy football league!).

Thanks for your kinds words and feel free to PM if you have questions.

Go order that sucker and enjoy!

-WD

You are one heck of a writer, at that. That's quite a reply and never once did my eyes glaze over (as people must with my posts). Where have you been hiding? RWI? Damn, I have to go chivvy you out some time.

Can't wait to see that 089.

@Inmotion: Savage and Tootall straps are THE BEST! Did Savage take 15 emails to get it just right with you? Because his attention to detail is out of this world. Not even Greg Stevens was so thorough.

*blushing*

:bleh:

Davidsen hasn't answered my PM to him in 2 days; not a bad thing, since I've been thinking -- maybe I like the 005 SO MUCH that I'll buy a gen of it next summer. Why have this one, if so?

That was always my rationale with the 111, since I thought that was going to be my choice for the gen. I thus never bothered to get a modded one from DSN, TWP or Angus, or anyone.

Maybe I SHOULD get the 232 for Christmas, since I know I can't afford the gen of that now. But your 005 is so pretty; I love it so much. :wub:

Decisions, decisions. Any help would be appreciated...

EDIT: Oh! Link to a gen 005 being sold in Ozlandia, with pics for your drooling pleasure.

hxxp://www.clockmaker.com.au/w/2129.html

005facebd8.jpg

(Hmm, those markers DO look rather green)

005boxfo8.jpg

005casebackgm4.jpg

A gen Panerai is HIGH on my current wish list. If I could stop spending money on wine, good Belgian beer and cigars (a few of my vices joined by road cycling and golf) - I could swing it shortly! Having said that, if my second quarter at work is anything like this one is shaping up to be, by the end of March I'll have my 112 or 005. If not, I'll have a DSN on my wrist.

BTW - got home from a tough day of getting kicked in the teeth to find a box from Taiwan on my desk.

"Mr. River delivers. . . "(in best David Caruso voice as the head cocks sideways)

david-caruso.jpg

Need the straps to show, but I'll snap a few on rubber. Rubber is cool, right? :whistling:

Edited by WatchDude

A gen Panerai is HIGH on my current wish list. If I could stop spending money on wine, good Belgian beer and cigars (a few of my vices joined by road cycling and golf) - I could swing it shortly! Having said that, if my second quarter at work is anything like this one is shaping up to be, by the end of March I'll have my 112 or 005. If not, I'll have a DSN on my wrist.

Wow, I had heard from my postman that the Christmas rush is down, so I thought, maybe people aren't out there spending on/sending presents. Slow-down of the economy and all that. Guess it's still okay in some areas.

BTW - got home from a tough day of getting kicked in the teeth to find a box from Taiwan on my desk.

Yay!

Wonder if this is why we collect watches? What other affordable commodity gives us so much pleasure, than the rush of happiness you get when you know a watch is coming or arrived?

Let's see...sex? No, that's not a commodity. That's a luxury.

"Mr. River delivers. . . "(in best David Caruso voice as the head cocks sideways)

david-caruso.jpg

:lol:

Need the straps to show, but I'll snap a few on rubber. Rubber is cool, right? :whistling:

Eh. Look at what I found at CQout, searching for a cheaper 005.

http://www.cqout.com/c_item.asp?id=1830954

pam005uf6.jpg

:thumbdown:

Wow, I had heard from my postman that the Christmas rush is down, so I thought, maybe people aren't out there spending on/sending presents. Slow-down of the economy and all that. Guess it's still okay in some areas.

Yay!

In my industry (Enterprise Software Solution Sales) we've been off this quarter, but I'm having quite a time of it. I've been on the road about 4 days a week, humping it, and getting stuff signed. Doing this, I make money. When I make money, I have this bad habit of spending it. :)

Wonder if this is why we collect watches? What other affordable commodity gives us so much pleasure, than the rush of happiness you get when you know a watch is coming or arrived?

Let's see...sex? No, that's not a commodity. That's a luxury.

:o

:lol:

Eh. Look at what I found at CQout, searching for a cheaper 005.

http://www.cqout.com/c_item.asp?id=1830954

pam005uf6.jpg

:thumbdown:

:yuk: