When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is that a real bid?

Guest avitt

Hard to tell, but the seller looks genuine & the watch is beautiful. He/they have a good, albeit somewhat limited history of selling high end watches. The current bid, $59,950, is definitely on the high side, but not beyond reason for a 6265 with paperwork & in that condition. I would, however, require clear pictures of the movement prior to transferring payment, or an agreement by the seller to have the watch authenticated (or allow the buyer to have it authenticated) by Rolex prior to final sale if pictures are unavailable.

I am not questioning the integrity of the seller...They have been listing that piece for months. It's a spectacular specimen!

I'm just shocked that someone is going to throw down $60k on this one. I firmly believe that this deal will fall through...but if not, someone could be in for a very merry Christmas.

That one is my personal 'Holy Grail', and- this auction has gone on and on for many weeks. It's priced a bit higher than market value, but I suspect a Japanese collector will pull the trigger very soon. I had a chance to buy one in 1989 for 3000 USD, and walked away from the deal. I would venture to guess that in 10-15 years, it will be worth 1,000,000 USD plus. Guess I'll stick with Josh and Andrew for any similar future purchases ): --Closest I've come to it so far; purchased on Ioffer before the sellers goods were banned:

DSC01113.JPG

Best, Arty

definitely one of my grails....not holy though...just grail.... :Jumpy:

fookin ridiculous the prices these things are reaching..... :wallbash:

sure wish I could get a decent rep without having to do all the mods...yes, I am lazy :pray:

Are you saying that someone made a bid and it was cancelled by the seller? Maybe they weren't qualified, overseas, negative feedback...

Yup, it looks like that's what happened. The seller cancelled the bid because the buyer wouldn't respond to the sellers inquiries (probably an effort to qualify the buyer)...Either that, or it was just a shill bid :g:

You gotta love Antiquorum! I did a search for Rolex 6265 and it looks like the auction prices for this model run in the $30-40K range, some with papers. Gold and Paul Newman dials are considerably more.

This watch has good provenance- papers, history, service receipts, but is probably $10-20K overpriced IMO. Of course, I figure that Anahiem Jewelry will probably sell this watch off of ebay and probably for less, unless they're ready to sit on it for awhile. But you gotta admit, ebay is good exposure.