When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Aficionados Wanted

andyking18

To all you Panerai aficionados...

I have been collectimg replicas for some time now, and I never understood the appeal of Panerai's. Although I've always been told that "they will grow on you" and "they are aquired taste", etc... I never bought into it. Recently, however, they have been growing on me, and I think I am ready to make the move.

So...

1 - My objective is to get the most authentic looking PAM, for the best possible price. (Very unoriginal, I know).

What I mean to say is, that I would like the watch to look authentic in every way possible, but I am not so specific as to the perfection of the movement.

For example, if when looking through the case-back, a cheaper Chinese movement will look as authentic as a higher end Swiss movement, I would rather the Chinese. Even though it might not keep time as accurately in the long term....

Another example is - I do not want a stainless steel strap, and I know the leather straps are never really authentic looking. I therefore will opt for a rubber strap, since they are authentic looking (aren't they?)and I will not have to spend on an upgrade to an expensive leather strap.

2 - I do not really care which model PAM it is, I care more about the perfection of it. I suppose I would go for whichever model is the most accurate rep. I am thinking about the 111H since it seems to be a great rep, but I am not sure, and your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 - If and when I get Panerai addiction, (which I very likeky will), as so may PAM collectors seem to have gotten, where can I seek help :p

Edited by TwoTone

Get a 001 or 002. These are the same as the 111 & 112 only with a solid caseback and 'painted' dial. The crownguard is the correct shape for these earlier models and the solid back means that the unaltered Swiss 6497 is not seen but is correct functionally anyhow. No contest, these are the best buy.

Get a 001 or 002. These are the same as the 111 & 112 only with a solid caseback and 'painted' dial. The crownguard is the correct shape for these earlier models and the solid back means that the unaltered Swiss 6497 is not seen but is correct functionally anyhow. No contest, these are the best buy.

Thank You,

But I especially like the transparent caseback.

Considdering that what would you say?

Thank You,

But I especially like the transparent caseback.

Considdering that what would you say?

Personally I would go with a DSN 112. The reason being is that this dial is very good compared to his 111H. You get the display caseback, good lume, correct cannon pin, and solid crown and crown guard.

However, Angus ultimate 111 and 112 are also very good. Both Angus and DSN come highly recommended, as I have bought from both I can attest that they will make good on all their promises.

Personally I would go with a DSN 112. The reason being is that this dial is very good compared to his 111H. You get the display caseback, good lume, correct cannon pin, and solid crown and crown guard.

However, Angus ultimate 111 and 112 are also very good. Both Angus and DSN come highly recommended, as I have bought from both I can attest that they will make good on all their promises.

Tankx for the help!

However... From what I've been hearing TWP is phenominal, but he is sought after for the quality of his watches more than how close to gens they are. (Is that incorrect?)

So although I would like a quality watch, I would rather a one that is closer to the gen and a slightly lower quality.

Tankx for the help!

However... From what I've been hearing TWP is phenominal, but he is sought after for the quality of his watches more than how close to gens they are. (Is that incorrect?)

So although I would like a quality watch, I would rather a one that is closer to the gen and a slightly lower quality.

Give Angus (Puretime) 111E a try it is a great out of the box rep, good looking crown guard, thick crown, you can get it with the Asian 6497 which performs well and looks decent (plus you'll save a good bit over Swiss). I had one and it was my favorite non-modded Pam.

Good luck I am a replica noob as well. This site is amazing I am afraid I have become addicted. Don't know why, I own 4 genuine Rolex including a brand new Kermit, Platinum gents Yachtie, Blue Rolesor Sub and the brand spanking new Ceramic steel GMT. I also have a geniune Planet Ocen Auto. I have also always wanted a Panerai but felt that a genuine Rolex was a more justifible purchase. I had The Ken Trading RXW MM20 for some time which was a beautiful piece. In any event I have my nice gen collection and it's time to be more responsible with my money, especially in this economy!!! The days of $6000- $8000.00 dollar wtches are done. After many hours of reading this site and sore tired eyes I decided to take the plunge, it seems that people are all very happy with TTK, TWP, Andy and Josh. I decided to try out that new Asian7750 regatta Pam253 flyback. From all I read it is an excllent copy. There is a guy who posted pics of his in the Panerai area "and so it arrives by Reklamkillen. It has the glass back showing off a very accurate decorated movement. I already ordered a genuine black croc strap for it as it comes on a rubber strap. I also ordered the "Ultimate" Artos. One thing i did dicover is you have to be very specific in your ordering and ask questions. Tell them what you want and they will make recommendations. I ordered from Andy. But as I said any of those guys are supposed to be good peeps and I think a couple of them may be the same guy or work together. I will post pics when mine arrive(hopefully before x-mas) I also ordered a Panerai 44mm caseback opener so I can grease the gaskets. Don't expect you watch to be water resistant and don't pay for the optional waterproofing some offer it's BS.

Good Luck!!!!

Good luck I am a replica noob as well. This site is amazing I am afraid I have become addicted. Don't know why, I own 4 genuine Rolex including a brand new Kermit, Platinum gents Yachtie, Blue Rolesor Sub and the brand spanking new Ceramic steel GMT. I also have a geniune Planet Ocen Auto. I have also always wanted a Panerai but felt that a genuine Rolex was a more justifible purchase. I had The Ken Trading RXW MM20 for some time which was a beautiful piece. In any event I have my nice gen collection and it's time to be more responsible with my money, especially in this economy!!! The days of $6000- $8000.00 dollar wtches are done. After many hours of reading this site and sore tired eyes I decided to take the plunge, it seems that people are all very happy with TTK, TWP, Andy and Josh. I decided to try out that new Asian7750 regatta Pam253 flyback. From all I read it is an excllent copy. There is a guy who posted pics of his in the Panerai area "and so it arrives by Reklamkillen. It has the glass back showing off a very accurate decorated movement. I already ordered a genuine black croc strap for it as it comes on a rubber strap. I also ordered the "Ultimate" Artos. One thing i did dicover is you have to be very specific in your ordering and ask questions. Tell them what you want and they will make recommendations. I ordered from Andy. But as I said any of those guys are supposed to be good peeps and I think a couple of them may be the same guy or work together. I will post pics when mine arrive(hopefully before x-mas) I also ordered a Panerai 44mm caseback opener so I can grease the gaskets. Don't expect you watch to be water resistant and don't pay for the optional waterproofing some offer it's BS.

Good Luck!!!!

I have already dealt with Josh quite a few times, and I have always been happy with his service.

It's just that as far as I know, his watches need some modding before they are perfect, although they are very good.

I would like perfect :)

As I've never been overly concerned about the level of fidelity in replication in watches, I'll just comment on the appeal of Panerai watches, and say that they do take some getting used to, but you will get used to them. Sometimes you might even not like the watch initially, give it away, and then later get another (done that with both 111h and 127 models) Sometimes you will start off thinking "I won't wear a 47mm watch everyday" (I thought that too :lol:) but, oneday, you will find yourself wearing a 127, and it will suddenly feel like the only watch you want to wear. When I went to my fiance's work's christmas party on saturday, I was wearing my 127 on a borrowed strap to match my shoes. With a lot of people in the room, it soon got very hot, so my jacket came off, and my sleeves got rolled back a way for comfort. I didn't get any compliments on my watch, but it did get some interested glances, and, it certainly stood out from the Fossils and other 'fashion watches' which were being sported, and it 'felt' perfect on my wrist: I could not think of another watch which I would have prefered to have worn :) All I can say with PAMs, is give them time, and you will love them :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by TeeJay

I'm not sure you're thinking about this is a way that's going to get you where you want to be. Here are some unasailble facts about rep collecting, especially PAM rep collecting:

1)There exists no out-of-the-box reps and precious few unmodded reps (and no TWP's modded 111's are not among them) that would not fool 99.9% of the population and would ever fool the .01% of the world that knows what a gen Panerai looks like.

2)The people that don't know about PAMs are going to wonder why you'd ever wear such an ugly watch, and the people that do know about PAM's are either going to assume yours is real if you can plausibly be a gen wearer or surmise yours is a rep if you can't plausibly a gen wearer.

So what should you do? First, do the bare minimum of research needed to intelligently buy a rep, which is to say look at the reviews people have posted and make a short list of pams that people think are accurate and that you like the looks of. The 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th most accurate PAMS will fool exactly the same # of people.

Then you should choose a dealer based on dealer reviews.

Then buy a nice accurate PAM you like and enjoy, keeping in mind that your bearing and appearance is at least as important as the accuracy of the watch.

solid advice from archibald.

the first step is probably deciding what type of pam you want. there are several main categories to consider:

i) base historic models such as 005, 111, 112, 127, 217, etc

ii) radiomir models such as 183, 210, 232, etc

iii) submersible models such as 243, 187, 092, 199, etc

iv) other models with more complications such as 212, 063, etc

fwiw, if i could do it all over again, i'd get the 112h as my first pam.

good luck with the decision :victory:

deltatahoe

Just one question though...

Why is it that you would get the 112H as your first??

i would get the 112h first because i think it epitomizes the brand -- classic design with a simple dial. once you wear the 112 for a while and start itching for more, then you can go about picking out the other various types of pams to round out your collection (consider yourself warned though, you may just up with eight of them :blink:)

here's my 112h on greg stevens historical brown:

200438-1769.jpg

deltatahoe