When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

customs question - shipping genuine vintage rolex watch parts to US

deltatahoe

i'm buying some genuine parts for a vintage rolex from an individual in europe (shipping to the US); i was wondering what the best method of shipping would be (registered mail, EMS, etc?).

is anyone familiar with the legality of importing genuine vintage rolex parts to the US (e.g. i know it is illegal to import a new rolex watch, but am not familiar with the legality of used/vintage items), as well as what types of disclosures he would need to make in terms of the contents/value of the watch?

i'd like to have the packaged shipped with full insurance; any idea about what i could expect in terms of customs duties would be great too.

thanks in advance for your help....

deltatahoe

i'm buying some genuine parts for a vintage rolex from an individual in europe (shipping to the US); i was wondering what the best method of shipping would be (registered mail, EMS, etc?).

is anyone familiar with the legality of importing genuine vintage rolex parts to the US (e.g. i know it is illegal to import a new rolex watch, but am not familiar with the legality of used/vintage items), as well as what types of disclosures he would need to make in terms of the contents/value of the watch?

i'd like to have the packaged shipped with full insurance; any idea about what i could expect in terms of customs duties would be great too.

thanks in advance for your help....

deltatahoe

to dispell all specultion you can call Home land Security without giving out all the informtion pertaining to the sender - reciever.. it is not illegal so suggest you do it that way so you don't have to pay unwanted duty.. fed-ex and UPS use their own customs broker.. that is better than USPS with the knowledge I have.. but still better to ask Home land .. not postalservioce they have varying definitions depending who you talk to.. ie. I was told the other day that watches cannot go Express because of the value.. it was an ammendment in the postal computer but a worker I know let me do it.. I was sending to Canada to get genuine parts installed..

hope that helps DT

thanks for the response lanikai....i've been meaning to call the customs/homeland security office but have just been slammed with everything going on leading up to the holidays....hopefully i'll get a chance to call them tomorrow.

any other people's experiences would be helpful too of course :D

deltatahoe

I've received watches/parts from all over the world via registered mail and have never had a problem (I'm in CA). I say if your not looking to insure what you are buying, registered mail should be fine. ;)

Yes, told by USPS that registered for watches is fine but the USPS can only insure up to 400 usd... don't want to argue with US postal.. less they go "postal on u" .... i have been told differing procedures at seperate times ie. commercial customs declaration is for watches.. (false) .. shows you how messed up our postal service can be <_<

Yes, told by USPS that registered for watches is fine but the USPS can only insure up to 400 usd... don't want to argue with US postal.. less they go "postal on u" .... i have been told differing procedures at seperate times ie. commercial customs declaration is for watches.. (false) .. shows you how messed up our postal service can be <_<

Don't think that sounds accurate...I was told by US Postal employees that they can send and insure registered mail up to $50,000. FIFTY THOUSAND US DOLLARS.

And speaking from experience, I have already sent out a $4k+ panerai via USPS registered/insured mail....with no problems.

UPS/FedEx usually won't insure watches for full value...they will only insure up to $500. Not sure about DHL but prolly the same.

:)

BTW, its not illegal to ship a rolex into the US....you just have to cough up the duty for it....i have never had a problem with parts either.

Hi Delta,

I'm in the EU and shipped various parts and watches to the US by registered mail and never had a problem.

If you look to insure the package I have no idea what happens, but without insurrance, there shouldn't be any problem.

Same the other way round with one difference: do not ship USPS boxes or enveloppes as they will be a tax for EU recipient with the risk the package is open by customs to apply further taxes (vat 21%). This of course can end as a seized pack if it contains a rep.

Use a plain Jiffy enveloppe both ways and no insurrance.

Cheers

Stephane