When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! My Speedmaster Lamania handwind is Broke!

894tom

Oh no...I went to wind up my Speedy as I am doing a power reserve test on all my handwind movements and this morning the Speedy would not hold the spring from releasing. In other words, with every turn when I take my finger off the crown, it will spin out until its energy is gone. AHHHH...its practically brand new!! Don't tell me this is a welcome to the world of replicas. What happened and what do I do to fix her? This is a handwind lamania movement, I think I read it is also called a Seagul? According to The Zigmeister, this is a great movement so it must be something just with my movement. Please help.

Oh no...I went to wind up my Speedy as I am doing a power reserve test on all my handwind movements and this morning the Speedy would not hold the spring from releasing. In other words, with every turn when I take my finger off the crown, it will spin out until its energy is gone. AHHHH...its practically brand new!! Don't tell me this is a welcome to the world of replicas. What happened and what do I do to fix her? This is a handwind lamania movement, I think I read it is also called a Seagul? According to The Zigmeister, this is a great movement so it must be something just with my movement. Please help.

If you've just received it from a reputable dealer, please contact them and you'll likely receive a replacement.

Unfortunately, I have no cofindence in the dealer I bought the Speedy from so I won't be sending or buying anything more from him. Anyone know where the rachet wheel click spring is on one of these movements so I can check that out. I have an exhibition back so I may even be able to see the problem easily.

New Question>>>>>> To all owners of the speedy, when you wind your watch, do you feel any type of clicking like you do on a 6497 movement? My Speedy always wound very smoothly with no sign of any clicking. I never thought it had the click spring due to the smooth feel. Just wondering if that was the problem with mine the whole time....it was barely touching the stop mechanism. Any help?

Mine winds smoothly. It does click, but you feel it with your fingers more than you hear it.

I just tried winding it again (guess I thought this was all a bad dream?lol) Anyway, I wound it all the way up not letting go of the crown the whole time. I just screwed the crown down and it held the wind/power at that point. It works fine, but that is not normal, I should be able to take my fingers off the crown and it should hold without spinning out. Something is still very wrong. I can see the crown wheel under everthing turning, but I cant see the click spring.

You have found a temporary solution, but it doesn't help what is wrong. I looked up a pic of the back of your watch, but I cannot see the rachet. I have a ETA PAM and the easiest way to find it will be to watch the gears as you wind the watch. One of the large gears most likely has it attached and it lets the gear spin as you wind it, but when you are done winding it the gear will not go backwards. I'm not sure if yours is the same, but either way it sounds like you should fiind a good watchsmith to look at it.

If you can see this image the click is just at the 12 oclock position, just were you can see the teeth of a gear. you should see this gear moving when winding the watch

Pic borrowed from the master - The Zigmeister

1.jpg

agreed..I need a watchsmith. Thank you for the pic it shows me exactly where to look. This site is the best. Just sad I have to be separated from my watch so soon. :(

To make this more complicated......when I took the watch to the shop today, the watch guy wound the watch and it did not spin backwards. Boy did I look stupid, but I know it cant fix itself. He's gonna look at it. I am leaning towards the fact the click spring thingy may be bearly touching the crown wheel engaging only when the wind is blowing the right direction :angry: .

Edited by 894tom

To make this more complicated......when I took the watch to the shop today, the watch guy wound the watch at it did not do spin backwards. Boy did I look stupid. It definetly did it to me and I know it cant fix itself. He's gonna look at it. I am leaning towards the fact the click spring thingy may be bearly touching the crown wheel engaging only when the wind is blowing the right direction :angry: .

I can hardly understand what you're saying. I would like to chime in here but you really ought to take the time and patience to write up your responses.

If english is your second language, my apologies.

I can hardly understand what you're saying. I would like to chime in here but you really ought to take the time and patience to write up your responses.

If english is your second language, my apologies.

1st language......mixed with alcohol. :good: What I was saying was that when I took the watch to get repaired the problem did not manifest itself for the watch repair man. In other words Marrickvilleboy, when the repair man wound the watch, it did not release its wind. I told him the problem is one that does not magically fix itself and asked him to look into the problem. Chime away fellow watch enthusiast. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Update:

I return home with the Lamania Speedy. The watch repairman said he tried several times to replicate my problem, but could not. He claimed he wound my watch up three times. He only had the watch for 4 days....so maybe he ment he wound it two times. He said he put oil on the clicker and closed her back up. I would say that did not fix my problem or give me any kind of answers to what is wrong with the watch. I will let the watch wind all the way down again and let it sit for several days and see if I can replicate the winding problem again. Anyone know a good watch repairman? My local guy is good for doing minor repair work, but I am losing faith in any kind of big jobs for him. Still looking for an answer as to what is wrong with this movement..........