When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

daytona problems?

arminvanbuuren

hi i've read many threads about the modern daytonas having problems and all!!! however after consulting with different dealers here.. they've told me that as long as i don't play around with the chrono movement too much or even better never used the chronos at all.. treating it like a playstation game.. the daytonas secs at 6 should be ok and not break down..

however thats only 3 ppls opinion that's told me that.. so i would like to ask the daytona owners.. for those of you that has a broken daytona.. did you ever use the chronos? and for those of you that has a daytona thats been running flawlessly for years.. did you ever use the chronos?

because i'm really interested in buying one! so any suggestions would be perfect.. ohh and one more thing!!! for you people that has the 116509 (either black, white or meteorite dial).. what are the weight of your watch? thanks

I bought a seconds at 6 daytona for a friend. He hardly ever used the chrono function. The watch died after 18 months. Personally, I do not feel that they are worth it. Any dealer who sells a watch but tells you not to use it in the way it is designed to be used it treading on thin ice IMHO. Hope this helps.

The additional gearing required for the secs at 6 Daytonas causes additional drag on the movement whenever the watch is running - with or without the chronos. My oldest is about 3.5 years and still runs great, but I think the key to its longevity is that it is rarely worn. I wind it fully (40 turns) once/month or so just to keep the lubricants from gumming up and that seems to have worked since none of my secs at 6 Daytonas have stopped running

bc_cgs30051.jpg

116509b1.jpg

i bought a sec@6.. used the chronos ONCE just to test them.. watch was dead in 2 weeks. The main killer of this cluster-fukk of a movement is the running seconds at 6. Its constanly using all those non-jeweled, and non-lubricated transfer gears to run that second hand. Thats why it would be wise to freeze the second hand and then you can take out all those transfer gears and you are left with a somewhat reliable movement. If you get a sec@6 watch that actually works, then i think you got lucky. Ive had two of them now and they both died quickly. I wonder what the actual failure rate is on these. Im sure all the collectors that sell them could tell us haha. i'd guess 50% failure rate of higher in the first 5 months.

As soon as they make a jeweled Sec@6 conversion (like the new sec@3) then i will make another leap into daytona land.. or just order a movement for the dead one i have here on my workbench LOL

dizz