When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A very rep friendly watch repairman

regulator31

I tried the guy, I dunno...I paid him $95 to fix a broken rotor, at least that's what he told me was the problem. I thought it was a bit too expensive.

When I began to ask him some questions, whether he replaced the seals and silicone greased them, he got defensive and did a lot of backtalking, I don't care for that.

Sorry but I know a few things about watch repair and if I ask questions, it's my right.

Sigh, I'm going back to my guy up in Vernon Hills I guess, 1 hr. drive each way.

I tried the guy, I dunno...I paid him $95 to fix a broken rotor, at least that's what he told me was the problem. I thought it was a bit too expensive.

When I began to ask him some questions, whether he replaced the seals and silicone greased them, he got defensive and did a lot of backtalking, I don't care for that.

Sorry but I know a few things about watch repair and if I ask questions, it's my right.

Sigh, I'm going back to my guy up in Vernon Hills I guess, 1 hr. drive each way.

See, now I am all nervous, which is why I asked if anyone had tried him! You should have told me ;) I will let you guys know what happens. Honestly, if I over pay for something, its worth it not to have to wait for 5 days each way in the post or to have to drive 4 hrs to and back from Vernon hills twice!

But, only if he's good.

For what it's worth, today I asked all those questions and he was very nice in answering. Promised to replace the spring, clean and service the watch (the right way by taking it all apart etc-- I probed a lot), lube all the seals and waterproof test for $100. Not a bad price I think.

I went to this guy in Jan to have him take the crystal out of my Breitling 6.75 sec@ 3, and he wouldn't even touch it. He put his "eye wear" on and told me this watch sucks, it was very cheaply made, etc. That said, I would give him one more try on another watch.

Interesting. Asian or Swiss? I brought an IWC ingy in TI with Asian ETA. He said... "this is a very nice watch. sometimes they come with cheap chinese movements that I can't fix... cant get parts for them..." At least he is honest about what he can and cant do.

Have you asked him if it's OK to post his info on the forum? I know my watchsmith would absolutely sh** a brick if he started getting calls from people saying "I read on the Internet that you'll fix fake watches..."

That is true - Rolex especially is actively shutting down repair shops that work on reps. That is why so many are scared to do it. They have even gone so far as to hire a large detective company to do sting operations on repair shops. The detectives show up with a $10 quartz Rolex that is definitely without question a fake and ask to have the battery replaced. If the poor guy is doing it - pang they come down on him with Rolex lawyers and take him for all he got.

That is not a myth I heard that from several sources in the gen watch world and I would not put it beyond Rolexes pratices to do that.

A good friend of mine who is an official Rolex certified repair guy told me that they show up unannounced in his shop once in a while and just snoop around if he has ANY third party parts. If they find anything bye bye contract. As soon as you put so much as a single third party part into a Rolex it is not gen anymore in their opinion.

I don't understand how Rolex could have any authority over a private watch repair shop. Granted, if it is an authorized Rolex shop they could pull the franchise but, a private repair shop could care less what Rolex or any other maker thinks about the watches it accepts for repair. As long as the shop isn't an AD and doesn't sell replicas, I would think that it would be safe from the legal arm of Rolex.

I don't understand how Rolex could have any authority over a private watch repair shop. Granted, if it is an authorized Rolex shop they could pull the franchise but, a private repair shop could care less what Rolex or any other maker thinks about the watches it accepts for repair. As long as the shop isn't an AD and doesn't sell replicas, I would think that it would be safe from the legal arm of Rolex.

It does not matter - it is illegal to work on any rep watch. As soon as you take money for it you commited a felony, its just like you made a rep (trademark infringement) and who can afford to fight Rolex lawyers. It is very little enforced by other brands, but Rolex is just relentless about it. In watch school I was told the safest thing is to ship the watch back, if it was mailed, even without charging for shipping.

Over the years I heard this several times from differnt watch makers who always personally knew who this had happened to, so it is not just a story.

OK, I guess the verdict is that this guy doesn't seem all that qualified-- at least based on this experience. I for one will just deal with the delay in the post to get the great service The Zigmeister offers. That is, unless I decide to make the treck to Vernon Hills and try that guy out... ;)

Ah well, at least it was worth a try. Hope this info helps someone out there.

• 3 weeks later...