When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Submariner with a Chocolate Dial

predfan2001

That watch looks pretty good to me, I have a 1665 coming from Paso, I need to get in touch with for some advice on getting the dial vintage look

Congrats

Well in my case, there just aren't any good 5513 dials that will fit a cn vintage Sub case. This case requires a 27mm-28mm dial. A gen is too small. This dial is from a Silix "no crown guard" Sub. I removed the outer marker ring and the "Officially Certified Chronometer" from the dial with micro fine sandpaper. I then used a mix of Testors Dullcoat and rust colored model paint (only a little, just to tint the clear) applied with an airbrush. I tinted the markers and added a few imperfections followed by a final coat of Dullcoat.

Some of the RWG members have been happy with the look of a coat of flat clear or varnish on their 1665s. From what I have read here most of the 1665 owners want to keep the color of the markers original, but the application of a flat finish to the dial really helps.