When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking to purchase two rep Omegas

trdsupragt

Hi, I'm pretty new to the replica watch scene so pardon me if I've missed things that should have been quite obvious to me.

Well to start off, I did some research on where to buy what and who from. For the Planet Ocean, I read that I should get it either from a fellow named "Josh", or PureTime Angus? I'm not too sure on which size to get yet though, the 45.5mm or the 42. The 45.5 seems a bit large but I haven't seen one in person so I haven't got much to speak on in terms of how it will look on my wrist. Whichever I do end up getting, I want to get one with a black bezel, black dial, and orange numbers. Then down the road, I hope to modify it with a few genuine parts and fit rubber straps on it. So my question for the PO is: where's the best place? I read the stickies but couldn't really find any obvious clue as to what type I should be lookig for and where to look.

And secondly, I'd like to purchase a Seamaster "Bond" replica. For this one, I'm a bit clueless on as there seem to be so many. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful.

Finally, what price range should I be looking at for each of these?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest the larger PO - or the so called Ultimate PO. Less flaws... Almost every dealer sells this version, just make sure you know what you're looking for. There are dropshippers like andrew, josh, and other dealers who do a bit more QC than others. As for the seamaster, there many versions, I'm not sure which is the best rep of them all, but they are generally about the same in quality. Little things to look for is the bezel alignment, print, dial sharpness, and the pearl. The prices will vary, but generally you can source a nice one within $200. Send pics or links if you wish to know more of a specific model.

Edited by kenmasters

I was browsing perfect clones (and doing a little research) and came across the 42mm PO on perfect clones.

http://www.pc-80108.com/omse10011-seamaste...242-p-1431.html

I read that the current generation on 42mm PO's are now in the 6th or 7th generation? If it is, would that PO in the provided link be the correct one?

Also, for Josh, or Andrew, do these guys have accounts in this forum? If so, are those their usernames?

from my knowledge I don't believe the 42mm has any 6th or 7th generation...

the latest 42mm generation is the 4th...

the 45mm UPO is the 5th generation [the latest generation]...

which is the closest rep to the genuine Planet Ocean...

I believe the UPO came out back in late 2006...

there hasn't been any new models of the Planet Ocean [42mm or 45mm] in 2007...

perhaps the senior members can clarify this???

oops, my mistake. I misread the thread over in the "gen vs rep" section. The person kept talking about having a 42mm previously, but was actually showing pictures of the 45.5mm version.

Well don't I look smart? :huh:

Anyway, here's the thread I'm talking about:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=14506

I guess the UPO is what I'll be getting, although I do wish the 42mm version had a better replica out there, as the 45mm might seem a bit large for me. Unless the one in the link I previously provided is a close enough replica.

And as for the regular "Bond" Seamaster, how's this?

http://www.pc-80108.com/omse10002-seamaste...8242-p-892.html

I'd go with this one. You want to spend the LEAST amount possible if you plan to add gen parts. The gen dial alone costs more than this watch. I invested roughly 1k in modding my UPO so it can get out of hand quickly. It is my only rep I will wear in any AD. Unless they open it they can't call it out.

Alright, well, after careful consideration, I've decided to go with the 42mm version. I don't want to spend ~$200 on a watch only to find out that it may be too large for me.

So now my question is this, will the rubber straps (rep or gen) work on the 42mm version? I remembered reading somewhere that they wouldn't work for the 4th generation, or something along those lines. Also, how compatible are the rest of the genuine parts for the 5th generation PO?

The 42mm version is available with a rubber strap. If you want to ensure the strap fits the watch properly (there is some variation between the watches and the actual strap used, as many POs sold on rubber, are being sold on the Seamaster rubber strap, not the Planet Ocean rubber strap, and that does make a difference) your best bet is to order the watch from the dealer already fitted with the rubber strap. You can always ask them for a seperate SS Bracelet as well, but, if the fit of the rubber is important, ask for it to be thus fitted. Personally, I've found that the rubber straps make the watch hard to get under a shirt cuff, which is not a problem on SS. However. The SS bracelet makes the watch heavier, and more noticeable against the hand, where on the rubber strap, you'll forget you even have the watch on.

In terms of size, I think it's just a matter of personal taste, but the 45mm really isn't unwearably large. WHen I first saw one, I thought it was a big watch, but, when I bought one, I soon got used to it. Having worn Panerai for a few months, when I put my 45mm PO back on for a few minutes, I thought it looked small :lol: It's just a matter of perspective, and getting used to it. In terms of watches, the Planet Ocean is a fantastic one, and one of my design favorites. Best of luck with your purchase :)

Edited by TeeJay

Well it seems the 42mm black bezel PO's are out of stock in most places. I have found one dealer that has one more left in stock, which is the 4th Gen. But I'm wondering if I should wait on it and get the 5th gen, or fire away on the last 4th Gen. Any suggestions anyone? I'd like to put a genuine rubber PO strap on this as well.

Thanks