When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Patek Philippe Nautilus "Jumbo" (Chinese)

Daytona4me

The Watch: Patek Philippe "Jumbo" Nautilus (Chinese)

The Movement: Swiss ETA 2824-2

The Choice:

I wanted a simple but elegant watch to give as a gift to the president of our company. He does not

like a lot a busy dial nor does he like how large any of my Panerai or UPO are.

I chose to purchase a second one in the event that I really liked it in person this way I could keep

it for myself or use as a raffle on RWI (either way, a good investment..lol).

The Dealer: TWP a.k.a. thewatchprince a.k.a watchgroup.net, He had very good communication throughout the entire process. I gave him very little time to obtain these before the Holiday, honestly I did not think they would reach me in time but I received them on Dec 24th.

Thanks TWP! :)

Specific Qualities which appealed to me:

Swiss ETA 2824-2 Movement

Case shape with rounded hinges

Sapphire Crystal

The way the diamond markers match the contour of the octagonal bezel at each position

The hands which are not to big and not to small.

The use of brushed and polished stainless steel used throughout the watch (bracelet and bezel).

The recessed crown which is nestled within the "lip" on the crown side.

A less busy dial with the use of diamond markers as apposed to stick markers.

A size which exemplifies bold & beautiful instead of big and loud.

Some specifics:

Weight:

4.46oz or 126.5 grams

Measurements:

Ear to Ear: 42.03mm

Length of each Ear: 15.31

Crystal to case back thickness: 9.43mm

Diameter of Bezel: 38.35mm

Outside lug to Outside lug: 26.07mm

Width of bracelet insert into case: 13.16

Bracelet at it's skinniest point (bottom near clasp): 16mm

Side notes:

As member: Pix mentioned, you have to see this blue dial for yourself, no picture does it justice.

I think some members have a misconception about these dials, they think that it is a dark to light

design when in fact it is faceted so that it gives the same multi-color look no matter what angle you

view it from. This was a big benefit for me as a dial which refracts a beautiful array of blue

regardless of viewing angle. In my research of this diamond dial version it appears that these may

have been a "special order only" version.

Quick Fact: (edited for clarity)

The new genuine Jumbo comes in a 43mm x 38mm case as apposed to replica version which is an accurate

"Original" version at 42mm x 38mm in size. The new genuine Jumbo's have a sapphire crystal case back and

a screw down crown which these replicas do not have.

It should also be noted that a genuine Caliber 315 S C movement as found in the original and new genuine Jumbo

has 29 Jewels and beats at 21,600 vibrations per hour.

patekjumnaut008-1.jpg

patekjumnaut011-1.jpg

patekjumnaut010-1.jpg

patekjumnaut009-1.jpg

patekjumnaut003-1.jpg

edit: New, very quick pictures added below

patekjumnaut31.jpg

patekjumnaut32.jpg

patekjumnaut34.jpg

patekjumnaut33.jpg

Edited by Daytona4me

A size which exemplifies bold & beautiful instead of big and loud.

Flawless description. Agree with it.

Bracelet at it's skinniest point (bottom near clasp): 16mm

Wow, that's attention to detail in a review.

It should also be noted that a genuine Caliber 315 S C movement as found in the original and new Jumbo

has 29 Jewels and beats at 21,600 vibrations per hour.

I had no idea TWP sold these...my dad adores Patek, so thanks for the heads up.

BTW, I am sure the president of your company knows he's receiving a rep watch, and is comfortable with that. A rare man and situation, indeed. :)

Thanks for the review, D4me!

The Dealer: TWP a.k.a. thewatchprince a.k.a watchgroup.net, He had very good communication throughout the entire process. I gave him very little time to obtain these before the Holiday, honestly I did not think they would reach me in time but I received them on Dec 24th.

Thanks TWP!

And I am glad that it did. Thank you for your puchasing and allowing me the opportunity to get this watch for you! Your pictures are stunning D4M. Did TTK take those?

Victoria,

I can get any watch that circulates in GZ, usually at a cheaper price, too !

Edited by TWP

A good review D4M, well done! I thought I would be done with reps for now for a while after some setbacks.... but this cheaper version of one the nicest watch around..... :) Makes me check my finances again :D

The diamond version has not been made by PP afaik.

Good on you to post it on all big forums :)

Edited by piratedzeus

Flawless description. Agree with it.

Wow, that's attention to detail in a review.

BTW, I am sure the president of your company knows he's receiving a rep watch, and is comfortable with that. A rare man and situation, indeed. :)

Thanks for the review, D4me!

Maybe you mix something up. This is the CN-Version :) The CN copied the MBK-Version.

TWP can most likely not get the MBK versions... but this one for sure.. as he already said :)

D4M. Did TTK take those?

Oh yeah... right.. I'm not that good... I've take a few tips from pugwash, by-tor and you. I really do not know my equipment well enough to do great pictures yet and I do not have any knowledge of photoshop so I rely on Picasa. It does ok I guess.

Thanks for all the kind words.

@PZ, I "assumed" (we all know where that get's us) that Patek does special order dials. I got this opinion after reading this add

http://www.thewatchguru.co.uk/Vintagewatches.asp?pn=9 (if you go to the middle of the page you will see an 18K white gold model which says "factory special order diamond dial" which is proof IMO that Patek will do this for a customer (at a large price I'm sure!).

edit: @Pix, I have not resized the bracelet (the presidents fit perfectly, and I have not decided if I will keep this, I've been on a buying spree,, you see within the next 1-2 weeks..lol)

@PZ again.. lol.. I have not put it on a watch winder, I swear, I dont think any of mine do wind both directions.. I've had problems with each one of them & I'll have to look at the clasp better.. Maybe I'll take some more pictures.

Edited by Daytona4me