When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Machine for adjusting watchs

Francisco

I have the Mumford Microset, too. I think it's excellent; dead on accurate, easy to use, hooked up to a PC it'll give you lots of options, and Bryan Mumford's a great guy to deal with- good support, too. He's done some very interesting things with time measurement- a guy with good electronics skills and an understanding of mechanisms. Rare, I think.

I did some research about a year ago and found these PC based systems:

1.) hxxp://www.delphelectronics.co.uk/products.html

2.) hxxp://www.waschke-bochum.de/index_en.html

3.) hxxp://pczw.uhren-mikl.com/index.php?PC_Zeitwaage

and a basic do-it-yourself version for those with soldering skills:

4.) hxxp://www.mikrocontroller.com/de/Zeitwaage.php

PC based systems have a very significant price advantage over "traditional" timing analyzers like the ones build by Witschi or Greiner, mostly because they use a lot of hardware that's already in your laptop or PC. On the other hand, they are usually not as accurate. Problems may come from low quality microphones, software and soundcard. For the average Rep-Geek though, they are affordable, while Witschi, Greiner and other professional systems only make sense for a professional watchsmith.

Don't forget though, that these machines assit you to regulate a clean, lubricated movement. If your movement performs bad because it is dirty, resinified or magnetized and needs servicing, such a machine will help you to find out but not do the trick.