When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm Done With Stainless Steel Watches

Chronus

I have the same problem unfortunately, I also have to wear non-SS watches during the summer, I have a mild allergy to nickel but that problem is already well-covered for me, as most of the watches I have have display backs, are in Titanium or in gold.

I get problems too if I handle some Canadian coins too much.

I think there is nickel in the SS used. I know the SS used in genuine R*l*x watches have a higher nickel content.

Hmmm, I forgot rep SS is 316L which you're right DOES contain relatively high trace nickel in composition. However, gen rollies use 440-grade SS (more carbon) which has zero trace nickel.

So there's the answer, just spend a couple of grand extra for those hot sticky summer months B);)

It's true, I've had this problem for a while when it gets hot.

When I was 16 I had a problem with metal frames on glasses and the skin on my face was pretty bad, it was getting dry and hard and peeling off and there was some oozing liquid :(

I wear contacts more now, I think I may try some of that LASIK eye surgery though. Have to stop buying reps so I can afford that though.

Mmmm... sorry about that, Ronnie. Probably you are allergic to nickel embedded in SS rather than to SS itself.

If so, I seem to remember that even titanium is not pure titanium, but a titanium compound with other elements among which nickel can be involved too. On the other hand, titanium compounds are surely less reactive than SS.

Did you already try a test of wearing your Ti watch on summer?

It could be that you are allergic to the "rubber" used to make your strap. Switch to leather. If the problem persists, paint the back of the watch with clear nail varnish. That will cure the problem.

Years ago, I had a similar problem... the bracelets on a bunch of very cheap Hong Kong watches raised red swellings and blisters on my wrist. Probably a reaction to cadmium... but clear nail varnish cured the problem.

Be sure to use clear nail varnish. Red would fix the allergy problem... but you don't want to look like a tart, do you?

Yeah same problem here only mine isn't heat related, it's Winter here in Melbourne, so after reading this thread I grabbed a bottle of my wives clear nail varnish and painted the back of my 192........seems to be working so far :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

I'm pretty sure it's not the rubber strap. I was wearing a bracelet watch last summer and had the same problem. It tends to get worse around the watch case too.

I've been wearing the PAM192 and things seem fine, but it is cooler today (as well as rainy from time to time).

I tend to keep the plastic on the back of the watch case because of this reaction too. Doesn't always help though.

I'll see how display back watches turn out (once I get some), but I'm not too hopeful.

I haven't tried the clear nail varnish, but why do girls have that? What is the point if you can't see it? :cc_confused:

Hmmm, I forgot rep SS is 316L which you're right DOES contain relatively high trace nickel in composition. However, gen rollies use 440-grade SS (more carbon) which has zero trace nickel.

So there's the answer, just spend a couple of grand extra for those hot sticky summer months B);)

Do you know about the SS used in genuine Omega, Breitling and Zenith watches? Would this be any good?

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting... I've recently run into the same problem while wearing my franken-Daytona. The bracelet I had fitted is a genuine, and was causing some discomfort and itchyness to the underside of my wrist, raised bumps, etc. So, I had to get a rep bracelet (sadly, solid mid linked) which I have modified to work with the genuine end links and is now fitted to my watch. Today is my first day wearing it, so I'll see how it does. I have zero problems with my other rep bracelets (all 316), so I think this should work out fine.

Doc- The SS that Rolex uses is 904L, not 440 ;) 904L contains 24% to 28% nickel content I believe whereas 316 has 9% to 13%.

Interesting... I've recently run into the same problem while wearing my franken-Daytona. The bracelet I had fitted is a genuine, and was causing some discomfort and itchyness to the underside of my wrist, raised bumps, etc. So, I had to get a rep bracelet (sadly, solid mid linked) which I have modified to work with the genuine end links and is now fitted to my watch. Today is my first day wearing it, so I'll see how it does. I have zero problems with my other rep bracelets (all 316), so I think this should work out fine.

Doc- The SS that Rolex uses is 904L, not 440 ;) 904L contains 24% to 28% nickel content I believe whereas 316 has 9% to 13%.

Randy

This might explain why the gen bracelet is giving you trouble, whereas the rep is ok. Nickel is one of the most common causes of contact dermatitis. So the 904L having a higher nickel content may be the culprit.... Maybe you are just physiologically more compatible with reps. ;)

This is what I got for my $250000 med school education.

Eddy

Randy

This might explain why the gen bracelet is giving you trouble, whereas the rep is ok. Nickel is one of the most common causes of contact dermatitis. So the 904L having a higher nickel content may be the culprit.... Maybe you are just physiologically more compatible with reps. ;)

This is what I got for my $250000 med school education.

Eddy

Thanks, Eddy! Yeah... The nickel is defintely causing me problems. I had this problem prior with other watches; the vintage Rolies are no problem since they used 316 also (Rolex changed over to 904L in the mid 80's). So... It's either vintage Rolex, or rep bracelets, or other brands that use 316 for me... Unless there is a way to combat this allergy?

Thanks, Eddy! Yeah... The nickel is defintely causing me problems. I had this problem prior with other watches; the vintage Rolies are no problem since they used 316 also (Rolex changed over to 904L in the mid 80's). So... It's either vintage Rolex, or rep bracelets, or other brands that use 316 for me... Unless there is a way to combat this allergy?

Firstly, I stand corrected Randy, not sure where I picked up that 440 fact :huh:

I'd go for vintage bracelet personally, rep bracelets are ok but lack that certain 'je ne sais quoi' - I especially love those folded link types, and the rivetted verison (rep also) look great.

As for a 'cure' for your problem, I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with it - you could try a topical corticosteroid cream I suppose (can you tell I skipped dermatology in med-school? monday morning lectures probably :lol:)

When this thread was first posted, I asked a max-fax colleague (who ironically trained in Sheffield :D ) - apparently it's a common issue in certain dental work as they use Ni-Ti alloys, but allergic reaction to SS is very rare - something to do with the bonding of the Ni within the alloy's molecular structure making it safe. Hence use of SS in surgical instruments. As long as it's less than 30% Ni it should be safe. But obviously it's causing a problem with you guys so something must be up. Hmmm, maybe it is something to do with the sweat/salt content somehow electrolysing a reaction??? Any chemistry buffs out there?

@Eddy - should we co-author a paper on this? Maybe RWG will provide the funding? I'm thinking NEJM :lol:

Edited by docblackrock

Thanks, Doc. I typically run with the vintage or rep hollow link bracelets, so it's usually not a big deal. But in the case of my 16520, I need a modern bracelet, and hence the problem I've found with the 904L steel one that I have. I've had this problem prior with modern heavy link R*lex bracelets, but how easily the mind forgets once the problem has gone away (I haven't worn a genuine modern in years).

I could always use a hollow rep bracelet and polish the centers I suppose (or stick it out with this solid midlink one that isn't correct for the watch :( ). Perhaps when colder weather comes around, I'll give the 904L a try again. Perhaps it is a matter of sweat and heat exaggerating the problem...

I have been fine with the PAM036, PAM192, IWC GST Chrono although the Breitling Avenger Seawolf I'm not 100% sure about but it's better than the SS ones.

I think the heat is what exacerbates the problem... sweat and so on.

My brother has a 1st in Chemistry... but he's been an accountant since he graduated... I'm sure that's killed his brain cells! :lol:

From Wikipedia:

"Sensitised individuals may show an allergy to nickel affecting their skin. The amount of nickel which is allowed in products which come into contact with human skin is regulated by the European Union. In 2002 a report in the journal Nature researchers found amounts of nickel being emitted by 1 and 2 Euro coins far in excess of those standards. This is believed to be due to a galvanic reaction."

Stainless Steel info:

Type Analysis of Stainless Type 304:

Carbon 0.08% max.

Silicon 1.00% max.

Manganese 2.00% max.

Chromium 18.00-20.00%

Phosphorus 0.045% max.

Nickel 8.00-10.50%

Sulphur 0.030% max.

Type Analysis of Stainless Type 316:

Carbon 0.08% max.

Silicon 1.00% max.