When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1st Strap distressing project

hiker01

First off, I want to apologize to our fellow member (I think my memory left with 2007 :lol: ) who inspired me to do this! Please chime it whoever you are? This is exactly the same strap that you did!!!

Here goes (on a PAM 026):

PAM02601-1024.jpg

PAM02603-1024.jpg

PAM02602-1024.jpg

The Process:

1. Scuff the dry strap with an all purpose (the blue one) Scoth-Brite using the tough side

2. Wet the strap and scuff some more

3. Rinse the strap and spray Clorox (the pre-mix version) on the strap until it's soaked, let it stay for 12 mins.....

4. Rinse really well!!!

5. Wash with Ivory soap (helps in getting rid of the Clorox smell) and rinse some more.....

6. Let it dry for 48 hours - naturally!!!! Don't blow dry or else you'll have a strap that would fit a Breitling from a 44 PAM!!!

Good luck!

looks good!! i rinsed my strap for 15 min under running water to make sure all the beach is out.. otherwise it will keep getting lighter and lighter. Nothing looks better than a nice worn out looking strap!

dizz

looks good!! i rinsed my strap for 15 min under running water to make sure all the beach is out.. otherwise it will keep getting lighter and lighter. Nothing looks better than a nice worn out looking strap!

dizz

Hey Dizz!

Glad you chimed in! You're the one!!!!..... who inspired me to do this project! I checked your Pam distress link and when I saw it, I said to myself " I could do that!" :lol: Plus I have the exact same strap that you distress!

Thanks!!!

I did the same to all of my rep pam straps and found them to be nice comfy and look good too.I cant remember who i first saw do this but far better than spending a fortune on straps for some one on a buget, or some one who likes to try to improve things them selfs.

Hike i think i would have tried to remove all of the old coating that the rep factorys paint on, and end up with some thing like UB7s above then darken with some leather food or wax if you wanted it darker.

My 127 one a rep distressed strap, this was a horible baby poo colour when i got it.

DSC00027.jpg

My 177 also on a distressed stripped and redarkend with lots of leather food, this is my 177 swimming strap as it has so much leathr wax in it water just pearls off.

DSCN3183.jpg

Well Hike, you inspired me to do my own strap bleaching project...pretty much followed your directions but after bleaching it I scrubbed it with a tootbrush for 20 minutes and than sanded the edges...Take a look

Wow! UB7, was that the same original that I used? That's nice.......I wanna see how the aging process will do to this strap I did.......

I did the same to all of my rep pam straps and found them to be nice comfy and look good too.I cant remember who i first saw do this but far better than spending a fortune on straps for some one on a buget, or some one who likes to try to improve things them selfs.

Hike i think i would have tried to remove all of the old coating that the rep factorys paint on, and end up with some thing like UB7s above then darken with some leather food or wax if you wanted it darker.

My 127 one a rep distressed strap, this was a horible baby poo colour when i got it.

My 177 also on a distressed stripped and redarkend with lots of leather food, this is my 177 swimming strap as it has so much leathr wax in it water just pearls off.

FxrAndy, I like that Idea!!! I was trying to figure out how to make leather waterproof so that I could put one on my SFSO and swim/dive with it (need to test the 1000M claim), I'll try your suggestion. I have a black rep leather for Breitling and I'll try it on that next. BTW: where do you get leather wax? That's not the same as the one that Coach sells for their leather bags, is it?

No it wasnt the same strap..I did it on some cheap brown leather calf strap i got off ebay for 20 bucks, im quite happy with the results thanks Hike! :D..How can I make it softer, where can I get that leather stuff, any car part store?

I would say a good shoe or walking boot store, Victoria might know a good supplier in the US, i remember some one advising against using "snowseal" for some reason,

All that the german stuff has in it is Vaseline, canuber wax and plant oil, if you look for some thing with only those ingedients you cant go too far wrong. Like i say i use this on my boots and always take it when i go aggresive camping where ever it might be wet and before i go to do any thing give my boots a good aplication with a sponge and the wax.

Just to recall to everyone that the fastest way to neutralize chloride's (especially bleach) action is by oxygened water (i.e. hydrogen peroxide, i.e. H2O2). You should find it at your drugstore's.

Dipping a bleached strap in it for 20-30 secs, then rinsing the strap in clear water for 30 secs, will shorten your rinsing time 10-15x.