When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lets talk radiomirs...

jacobsen1

I'm in love with the "Vintage 47mm Radiomir California Dial Swan neck" Joshua has...

1.jpg

I have 2 concerns though:

• Crystal: - Doom Plexi Plastic
  • Swiss Unitas 6497 Swan neck regulator Manual Hand wind Movement

can someone give me a little review/insight on this? How bad is winding the watch? How long does a wind last? Also how does the crystal look IRL? I love the Dial, size and look of this watch, I just wish it was available in an auto option (I just don't know if I'll like autos...). I also wonder how the crystal will hold up over time.

Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Edited by jacobsen1

You can order this from davidsen with a Sapphire crystal. The plexi is fine. It is not available as an automatic nor should it be, for as an accurate rep. it must be a hand wind like the gen. On a full wind it will last 2 1/2 to 3 days. The 249 is a great Panerai and a classic design.

I'm in love with the "Vintage 47mm Radiomir California Dial Swan neck" Joshua has...

1.jpg

I have 2 concerns though:

• Crystal: - Doom Plexi Plastic

• Swiss Unitas 6497 Swan neck regulator Manual Hand wind Movement

can someone give me a little review/insight on this? How bad is winding the watch? How long does a wind last? Also how does the crystal look IRL? I love the Dial, size and look of this watch, I just wish it was available in an auto option (I just don't know if I'll like autos...). I also wonder how the crystal will hold up over time.

Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Coming from quartz, then automatics, to manual winding, I would agree that at first, it can seem strange to have to wind a watch rather than letting it 'take care of itself', like quartz and automatics do, but, like anything, that's just the initial 'shakedown' period, and, after a while, having to wind the watch becomes part of the pleasure in owning and using one.

I tend to wind my watches every night before going to bed, just so they never run to a stop (which could go unnoticed for some time, and then lead to the hassle of having to re-set the watch). Even if I forget to do so, I know that the watch won't stop overnight, and as soon as I remember, I just wind it, it's really not a chore at all. Personally, I view having to wind the watch as 'my part of the bargain': I need the watch to know the time. The watch needs me to wind it so it can tell the time. I keep it wound, it keeps telling me the time :)

In terms of the watch itself, as mentioned, the California dial was never produced in the sandwich form (which I would admit to being my preferencial form as well) Initially, I was not too keen on the California, as I didn't particularly like the mixed fonts. One or the other would be fine, but not both. Serves no purpose. However. As I have come to know more about the history of Panerai as a company, I can appreciate the watch's historical value, so can certainly see it's appeal (for either reason) and will likely purchase one myself to round out my collection.

In terms of Radiomirs in general, I've heard that they can have the same issue with crown strippage as dogged the Planet Oceans... Can anyone shed any light on this?

One god thing about the plexi glass is that if it does get scratched it can be polished out with polywatch, The dial on this one is not the most acurate as it was based on a pre-production picture with the california at 12 where as the gen that was finaly distributed did not. You might find a more acurate representation of the dial here in a homage watch and a bit of info on the dial its self that was first used by rolex in the 30s.

I've got the Pam bug and am lining up a radiomir to add to my modest collection... thought I'd ride this thread - do you guys prefer the cali dial or something like the 232 (see below - image from Davidsens web... hope no-one minds)?

DSCF0611.jpg

Sam, taste is a very delicate topic, but I myself would go with the updated tobacco-dial 232, if there's a choice. It just looks so much better.

Two quick Pros/Cons

249 - Exposition Caseback/Plexiglass 'crystal'/some members at RWI pointed out the dial flaws

232 - Closed Exposition Caseback / Sometimes the wrong shade of brown/better, accurate dial

If you do get the Cali, and the 249 plexiglass dome breaks, make sure you ask Davidsen for spares. Not sure if he sells them, or includes them if you ask.

Member dluddy has the 232, and perhaps he can give you better info. :)

I have just been loking at those homages and at $520 for a legal and warentted watch not a bad option IMHO

have a look at the home site

Hi,

I 'd like to ask a couple of innocent questions.

What makes those DIEVAS legal ?

A royalties payment agreement with Panerai ,or there is no more patent exclusivity on behalf of the owner,(design etc)?

As for the price, $ 520 is quite high,for a replica,that one can buy for a mere $ 200 to $ 220

I doupt that DIEVAS has breached any copy right and the cost includes a SWISS movement and not a Chiss or swinese one, also a years garantee from a public legal firm.

I dunno, just asking ,really.

It would be very interesting ,I think, if Dieva ,state a clarification on it.( If they do care to...) Don't you think so?

I've got the Pam bug and am lining up a radiomir to add to my modest collection... thought I'd ride this thread - do you guys prefer the cali dial or something like the 232 (see below - image from Davidsens web... hope no-one minds)?

Cheers

Sam

Welcome to the party :) Personal preference is such a touchy issue... I would very much like a California for my collection, but, I doubt it would see much in the way of regular wrist-time as I prefer the more unified look of other dials. In terms of what I would wear regularly (were my 127 not glued to my wrist :lol: ) it would be something like the 210 or 232 :)