When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keep your eyes open for the latest Asian clone, of a Clone.

RWG Technical

'The Zigmeisterzumba'...

"Sub dial hands too big. For the subdial hands, I use a minute drop of epoxy in the hand tube, and install the hands and let the glue harden. I tested and re-tested to see if it would be an issue for follow on servicing etc, and it isn't. The glue fills the 0.03mm gap and allows the hand to fit nice and snug and you can remove and re-install it no problem.

I am sure if you were sloppy and got glue everywhere, it could be a problem, but I am very careful and have been gluing the center seconds hands for a long time...I don't do anything that would cause problems for the owner down the road."

ZZ

If you have a "WW" 8mm etc watch lathe and a set of collets...

1...Pick a collet that the hand tube will fit into (fairly snug) and place the collet in the lathe.

2...Place the hand tube inside the collet jaws a little over half way or about as far as it goes on the pivot. (I hold the hand with Rodico instead of tweezers so I don't flip it)

3...Gently tighten the draw screw a little bit to close the hand tube hole a very small amount.

4...Try it on the movement to see if it is tight enough and if not, squeeze it again.

This will close the hand tube so no cement is needed.

If you get the tube too small you can broach it out a little.

This works fine on sweep second and chronograph center second timer hands too.

J3

@J3

I had thought about trying to squeeze the tubes (I don't have a lathe but could do the same with other tools) but I have had so many problems with the hands and tubes (breaking off etc) that I went with the least stressful way on the hand.

I just wish they would improve the quality of the hands to that of the gen's, cost is not an issue when I can buy 7750 hands that are built like a tank for a dollar each...

Great tip, if I ever pick up a lathe, I'll try this, thanks.

RG

Oops, forgot the rest...

Yes, I use slow epoxy (30 minute) and it's a filler, not a glue.

1st the Asian eta now the 7750b 28.8. You can you trust any watch now without taking the back off and then knowing what to look for......it nothing but greed with the dealers and their sources.

They are going to kill the goose laying the golden eggs. I hope they can eat them watches......

And why not a pin-vise Freddy?

2 reasons -- It is difficult to get just the right amount of squeeze without damaging the hand tube & I feel like I have more control over the operation (as well as the hand) when I can feel it between my fingers. I have a hand holder, but every hand I have needed to resize was too small to fit.

That is the right way to do it.

However, I achieve similar results using a pair of smooth-jawed pliers & a set of broaches. Perhaps not quite as elegant, but it generally gets the job done.

With the subdial hands being of such poor quality on so many watches lately, I chose to use a method that would require the least amount of handling and stress on the hands, and achieve the same results - have the hands stay in place on the movement.

While using epoxy may not be the "right" way, it does what is required and doesn't risk the tube breaking away from the hand from handling and compressing the tube, and maybe having to broach it.

I have had numerous tubes break away from subdial hands from removal alone...and replacing the 0.17mm tube with a new one, is no fun...

RG

With the subdial hands being of such poor quality on so many watches lately, I chose to use a method that would require the least amount of handling and stress on the hands, and achieve the same results - have the hands stay in place on the movement.

While using epoxy may not be the "right" way, it does what is required and doesn't risk the tube breaking away from the hand from handling and compressing the tube, and maybe having to broach it.

I have had numerous tubes break away from subdial hands from removal alone...and replacing the 0.17mm tube with a new one, is no fun...

RG

Definitely the best of both worlds, here. The hands fit as they should without risking damage to them.

Ziggy - Unless I am misunderstanding you, how do you get the epoxy onto the sub dial hand (I assume you apply it to the underside of the hand where it comes into contact with the tube) without getting the epoxy on either the dial or inside the tube (so the hand gets cemented to the pinion)? I have used epoxy to fix loose tubes on a number of hands, but always with the hand removed from the dial.

I might get flamed for this. But do believe the reps I bought 3-5 years were heads and shoulder above this stuff now. They are all still working and keep great time.

They were not as spot on as the super reps now,but the material and movements were Superior. Then the watches sold today are a gamble if they last a year.

dscn0102zb6.th.jpg

Edited by pammo13

doesnt surprise me that this is happening.. i cant imagine them throwing away good "old 7750" parts when they can use them up by making hybrid movements.. its not like these manufacturers are concerned about reliability.. if they cared they wouldnt keep selling us those timebomb sec@6 movements. Hopefully we dont see any problems because of this combination. But im sure that after a good servicing, they are probably ok.