When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Your PAM Waterproof?

Leifhaus

I recently bought a DSN 112 and even though seller states it's been tested at 3ATM, I'm not ready to immerse this beauty in water just yet.

A few months ago I started a "Is your PO waterproof" topic, it got enough responses, and positive responses to give any newbie the confidence that their PO was most likely to be waterproof, even without the "extra waterproof service" from the cartel dealers. I checked to see if the thread was searchable and happily it's in the first page of hits searching "waterproof" on the Omega section, so it's easy enough to find.

I want to do the same in the PAM section so that we all have experiences in one place to either confirm the water tightness of their watch or examples of flooding/fogging and which model by which seller. I'll use the same format as the PO topic and start with my 112. I think it might help to put which type of crown mechanism so we could see if the "lock down crown", is that the correct term?, of the 111s, 112s, etc vs. traditional crown was more water tight. Sorry I don't know the correct terminology for the PAM crown system.

I'm hoping we can get a couple of pages of data for the knowledge base. Looking forward to your participation.

Model: 112h

Crown: lock down

Seller: DSN

Rain: Not Tested Yet

Shower: Not Tested Yet

Pool/Ocean 3 meter/10 feet: Not Tested Yet

I've only had one of my PAMs professionally tested and it passed fine for 5atm (I did not test any deeper). It is one that I assembled from parts I had in my partsbox. The important elements are: is it a quality PAM case, are all o-rings (caseback / crown) in place, are they lubricated, is the crystal installed professionally - if the answer is yes to all these - then make sure that the caseback is tightened, the crownguard screws tighened and the crownguard lever is locked. Then there should not be a problem. In have showered and gone pooldiving with this watch.

ALL my reps have always been waterproof but my navitimer. when i get a new watch, i shower with it. if its ok, then i swim with it. i have 4 pams, 2 with chronos. a sosf, a chrono evo and a yachtmaster. they are all waterproof. i even tried swimming with a navitimer, wich was not a good idea, but when i came back home, i opened the case back and waited for a week before closing it back, and now it works perfectly. so we should not be afraid of putting our watches in water. that's what i think

Model: 253

Seller: Joshua

Ordered with: Service and waterproofing

Shower: Yes - It leaked after having it for three months (Does this tell you something?)

Model: 195

Shower: Not Tested Yet

Model: 036

Shower: passed

Model: Fer008

Crown: screw down

Shower: Passed

Model: 064

Model: 026

Seller: easyminder (i'm not sure about the spelling)

Edited by HikeUSA

So far, I've only tried one PAM in the water, as the others have all been on leather straps...

Model: 111h

Crown: Lock down

Seller: Tonyxkf

Rain: No problem

Shower: No problem

Bath Immersion: No problem

Surface Ocean Swimming (into strong tides): No problem

Depth Immersion: Not yet tested.

dd8f106e.jpg

I tested my 027 ETA 2892-A2 this summer...I jumped into the sea without remembering I had it on my wrist...well, the beer is guilty for the "non remembering"....but the good part is that I am wearing it right now while I am typing this reply...and it works really fine and it didn't had any kind of damage...so I suppose it is waterproof... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the PAM253 with Chrono.

I swim with it, also shower. Before doing so i had it waterproof tested. When i opened the caseback and removed the crown stem, i saw that none of the O rings were greased to fully protect against water. So i greased them with Bergean sticky grease.

The one thing i do not know how to protect are those CHRONO PUSHERS.

Anyone has an idea if the chronopushers also can be protected, for maintenance, to keep them waterproofed, even after 5 years??

Model: PVD 111g.

Crown: Lock down.

Seller: Tonyxkf.

Rain: No problem.

Shower: No problem.

Bath Immersion: No problem.

Surface Ocean Swimming:Not yet tested.

Model: Radiomir.

Crown: Screw down.

Seller: Tonyxkf.

Rain: No problem.

Shower: No problem.

Bath Immersion: No problem.

Surface Ocean Not yet tested.

When i got my 092 from Trusty I cracked the caseback and greased the gasket. Had it relumed and pressure tested by my guy and it passed a 100 meter test with flying colors. I think as long as the gaskets are greased water resistance should be no problem except with some of the real cheapies that don't properly set the crystal into the case.