When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Genuine is 'Gen'?

SuperDanX

There's no doubt that the stuff at Jewelry and Watch is not gen, but it is some of the nicest stuff around- high end replica stuff, so to speak. Look at torresp's Comex SD. I'm sure it cost him over $4K to build, but the gen could easily run $20K, if you could find one for sale. Same with the early Daytonas- the real stuff is expensive, so you build a first class rep- something good enough to fool 99.99% of the people.

Hey freddy, have you ever contacted this guy?

http://www.vintagewatchesmq.com/wrist_watches.html

I've never got any response from him.

I have never tried to contact him, but I have browsed his site before (I like the web design). He is selling NDtrading dials (not bad, but I think the MBW dials contain lesser sins) without prices, but everyone seems to sell them for about the same price, or close. Some of his watches look pretty good. But like with Phong, you have to assume that they are put together with aftermarket parts since he sells them. I see that alot of the links on the site return errors. When did you try to contact him? Maybe he is not doing business anymore?

He has replied to my enquiries... $900 for case and $350 for dials... for 1665

$800 for case and $300 for dials... for 1680

I see he sells a lot of vintage watches as well, according to the site they are GEN - can the experts tell if they are really gen? Or just put together himself?

I am on a mission to find a good connection for a vietnam/chiengmai case, I have contacts in thailand and vietnam so hopefully I will be able to find something! I am travelling to thailand myself next week so will see what I can find. Wish me luck!

But the cases could be another matter if they are reasonably priced. But I did notice that Phong has expanded his selection recently- like a 6238 dial.

Yes, he has a number of new items, but all of the dials look like NDtrading.

I asked him at one point if he would be willing to sell one of the 1665 casebacks separately, but he wanted $450, so I passed. Maybe if we could put together a group buy for 10 or 20 casebacks we might be able to get him to price them realistically? There are some other more minor differences between the MBW & Vietnam 1665 cases (most notably, the size & location of the lug holes are more accurate on the Vietnam case), but it is the caseback that sets it apart from the MBW. Like the gen, all the fonts on it are the correct size/style & in the correct locations. And after the dial, the caseback is the next most obvious shortcoming on the MBW, even when filed/sanded/buffed to perfection the MBW caseback still looks too modern & lacks the gens convex shape.