When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 229 Firenze review!

bazonkers

Good things:

- caseback engraving is excellent

- crownguard looks perfect

- crown is much better than before

- dialprint looks good

- date and magnification are perfect

Downers:

- color blue of the dial is a little off

- purple AR hue gives it a too purple tint

- L SWISS MADE L kiss 6's ass (nice way to put it Lanikai)

So alltogether... a new dials ... slightly lighter blue, less purple AR hue ... and it would be perfect. Hope they will improve the L SWISS MADE L on the PAM104 at least!!

Can I say my opinion?

I had the chance to have one Pam 228 in my hands on last year, because as you know I live in Florence and sometimes I go in that shop pictured on the case back, to let the guys wasting some times showing me some watches... :-)

I actually seriously thought to get a gen, but it wasn't possible, as they were all booked out much in advance.

The blue I can remember, it's more like the gen pics that Baz attached here on this post.

Dial it's more shining that Pam 082 and color and finish are also different, so do not compare them.

Color on this rep looks a bit too purple though...

Personally I will have a look at how the next run will come out and also if Davidsen version will solve this color matter and also the swiss made position.

Alternatively, as I'm having my printer already working on the total re print of some Pam dials, if the results will be good, I might make this 229 dial correct then.

The DW font is a bit off, we can see it from the number 10, where the 0 has straight sides, while it should be oval, but I would like to see also other numbers before thinking it should be replaced.

In case you will decide to swap the DW, you know where going to ask for it :)

I want to also talk about the back of this watch.

Have a look at these pics.

Before I saw these pictures published by Bazonkers, I thought they made it slighlty off, as the types around the central door, are a bit too close to the edge (as on Lanikai watch).

But the back of Joe's watch (Bazonkers), looks quite right then.

Actually it seams that the whole image engraved on the back of Randall's watch, it's a bit larger than it should.

But this is also the way this watch is depicted on Joshua shop and also on King's one.

Can I ask where you both guys bought this watch from?

229_back385.jpg.xs.jpg

Edited by lello

Before I saw these pictures published by Bazonkers, I thought they made it slighlty off, as the types around the central door, are a bit too close to the edge (as on Lanikai watch).

Actually it seams that the whole image engraved on the back of Randall's watch, it's a bit larger than it should.

But this is also the way this watch is depicted on Joshua shop and also on King's one.

I bought mine from Josh.

Hey Baz,

the pull must be very strong mate!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/thre...%28bazonkers%29

LOL!

babola

It's still impossible to get one. I've gotten one response and he wants to trade it for a fiddy. He told me it was worth $16K. If I could find one, I'd buy it so we could study it. I'd hold onto for a bit and then sell it for some profit down the road.

Edited by bazonkers

Can I say my opinion?

I had the chance to have one Pam 228 in my hands on last year, because as you know I live in Florence and sometimes I go in that shop pictured on the case back, to let the guys wasting some times showing me some watches... :-)

I actually seriously thought to get a gen, but it wasn't possible, as they were all booked out much in advance.

The blue I can remember, it's more like the gen pics that Baz attached here on this post.

Dial it's more shining that Pam 082 and color and finish are also different, so do not compare them.

Color on this rep looks a bit too purple though...

Personally I will have a look at how the next run will come out and also if Davidsen version will solve this color matter and also the swiss made position.

Alternatively, as I'm having my printer already working on the total re print of some Pam dials, if the results will be good, I might make this 229 dial correct then.

The DW font is a bit off, we can see it from the number 10, where the 0 has straight sides, while it should be oval, but I would like to see also other numbers before thinking it should be replaced.

In case you will decide to swap the DW, you know where going to ask for it :)

I want to also talk about the back of this watch.

Have a look at these pics.

229_back385.jpg.xs.jpg

actually the colour of the dial seems to be darker blue in the natural light without direct sunlight.. and in flourecent lighting the AR gives of a purplish hue that makes the dial appear to have the purple tint.... what do you think of that observastion lello??.. does the dial (genuine) give off different hues due to the AR and the satin finish??

and great, I was going to inquire about your DW on these movements.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: thankyou for that~!!!

and yes .. i noticed the stamping on the case back was a liitle off .. but I am more concerned about the dial.. not only the swiss lettering but the 11 marker seems to be favouring the 12 a bit.. if you can come up with a correct dial .. that would be awesome !!!! but i am happy with this one as this is the first rep. Pam that i have gotten where the CG is very .. very good .. as far as flushness to the case .. perfect tension in the lever and flushness in the lever and CG, also the right amount of pressure on the crown.. which will be modded with the genuine anyway.. so really its hard with the Pam reps to have all things measure up to our standards .. so the lesser of two evils is the one i really want.. but i hope U can get all of those to be great !!

here's some pics in natural lighting without direct sunlight

post-2172-1200192896_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200193716_thumb.jpg

what do you think of that observastion lello??.. does the dial (genuine) give off different hues due to the AR and the satin finish??

and great, I was going to inquire about your DW on these movements.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: thankyou for that~!!!

and yes .. i noticed the stamping on the case back was a liitle off .. but I am more concerned about the dial.. not only the swiss lettering but the 11 marker seems to be favouring the 12 a bit.. if you can come up with a correct dial .. that would be awesome !!!!

here's some pics in natural lighting without direct sunlight

post-2172-1200192896_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200193716_thumb.jpg

Randall,

Well, I don't think the AR blue hue on the gen would influence the dial color actually.

Are you really sure this purple look comes just from the AR hue?

If this would be true, it would be maybe enough to make a new AR.

I know that AR makers, can control the hue on the crystals.

Some time a go I was nearly starting to make AR too and so I was talking to the manufacture which makes it and they told me they can make the hue as we want, or control it somehow anyway.

Brian will certainly know more about it.

If instead (as I suspect), this slight too much purplish depends directly on the dial color and if the watch makers won't correct it on the next runs, I can try to make this dial from scratch then.

No problem for the DWs.

They are the same as for the other Pams with 3 o'clock date window and I should get some soon.

a guy on paneristi just posted some nice pics of his 229 today; i figured i'd post the link for those interested....

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/message/1200600918/Just+wanted+to+share+some+229+love.

cheers :drunk:

deltatahoe

Awesome, thanks for that. Saved to my photo archive :)

That gen is much lighter blue than the rep.

Edited by bazonkers