When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to give a friend?

hiker01

Hi all! I Need your help!

My best friend who stayed in the service (we use to be in together!) much longer than he should, is being

re-assigned to Iraq (just got transferred stateside from Korea two months ago!) and I'm in a dilemma on

what to give him as a send off gift (please don't say "give him a watch", he's not a watch guy....more on Freddy's

Uzi type Gent...).

Thanks!

Hi all! I Need your help!

My best friend who stayed in the service (we use to be in together!) much longer than he should, is being

re-assigned to Iraq (just got transferred stateside from Korea two months ago!) and I'm in a dilemma on

what to give him as a send off gift (please don't say "give him a watch", he's not a watch guy....more on Freddy's

Uzi type Gent...).

My cousin is serving in Afghanistan, after a tour of Iraq. His sister gave him UV-blocking Armani sunglasses. He really appreciated that, coming in handy in both countries. That's my suggestion.

Please relay my deep appreciation to your buddy, HikeUSA. God bless him.

Victoria got it right...I sent my buddy sunglasses while he was stationed in Iraq. Not super expensive ones but something that had a good UV-blocking lens and plastic frames. I also sent him things like Twizzlers, beef jerky, books of YoMamma jokes, and toothbrushes and toothpaste. That stuff is SCARCE out there and always needed.

Please give your friend a pat on the back and a salute form all of us that feel he is the closest thing to a "hero" we will ever see.

Edited by stevie7s

How about a full Kevlar body suit....a really BIG gun.......and a cellphone jammer......or get him a Canadian passport and a ticket home......:blink:

TTK,

I beat he would love all of those, but Canadian Passport???? Nah!!! He's a real Patriot....been in the service for 26 years.....and to think that he wasn't even

born and raised in the US......

If he wanted to do that, his current post is only 120 miles to the Canadian Border...............

Hi Victoria!

Thanks! That's a good Idea! I'll shop around for one today and I'll include this in a package I'm sending him!!!

Excellent! You're a great friend.

These men and women also need encouragement and human warmth. From my cousins, I know that they LONG to receive snail-mail letters. Something more personal than an email. I'm sure you would, but don't forget to write him in long-hand, so that his name will be read out when the post arrives. :)

My cousin. My hero, serving alongside Britain's finest.

(Editted photo)

God, I'm crying as I write. I love your buddy without knowing him...

An iPod.

With some decent earbuds.

A really nice Shuffle, e.g.:

28801363ada03a3abe4ce010.L.jpg

Only problem I can see, is that he needs to have a dedicated computer since it will erase your songs if connected to a different one, each time. Something which depends on his deployment situation (guys take turns at field HQ computers, to send emails to-and-fro. Not always do you get the same computer).

Charging it might be tricky too, unless his CO allows him to leave it plugged in for a while.

I'm guessing if he's in charge of 220 men and women, he might be a Major, so it's okay. ;)

And my best regards.

The great thing about that, is you don't need to plug that in. The best things in life truly are free.

A really nice Shuffle, e.g.:

28801363ada03a3abe4ce010.L.jpg

Only problem I can see, is that he needs to have a dedicated computer since it will erase your songs if connected to a different one, each time. Something which depends on his deployment situation (guys take turns at field HQ computers, to send emails to-and-fro. Not always do you get the same computer).

Charging it might be tricky too, unless his CO allows him to leave it plugged in for a while.

I'm guessing if he's in charge of 220 men and women, he might be a Major, so it's okay. ;)

The great thing about that, is you don't need to plug that in. The best things in life truly are free.

Let me check that shuffle out and test it and see how goes based on your observation!

Thanks again......and, BTW: He's a Colonel!

Get him a nice blade...like a Chris Reeve Sebenza or Strider SMF.....

Head on over to TrueNorthKnives.com

I'm sure he'd love one...he prolly already has lots of regular issued blades....but an upper end production knife would really be admired...

Yes...i love blades....and that is where a lot of my fookin money goes....

cheers

Definitely go with the sunglasses and as much of these items as you can. Remember Iraq is mostly desert, they need PRACTICAL items.

Gatorade in pouch with sugar

Toothpaste

Tea with sugar

Mouthwash

Creamer

Shaving Cream/After Shave

Chewing Gum

Hand Lotion

Beef Jerky

Toothbrushes

Peanut Butter Crackers, Oreos, Pringles Potato Chips, Doritos, etc.

Baby Wipes or Wet Wipes

Dried Fruits

Toilet Paper and Kleenex

Trail Mix

Q-tips

Peanuts

Lens Cleaners

Hard Candy

Deodorants

Salami and/or Pepperoni Sticks

Soap

Kool-aid with sugar

Shampoo

Cookies (Homemade)

Chap Stick or other lip balm

Individual Pop-type Cans of Fruit

Hand Sanitizer

Individual Packages of Cereal

Black Cotton Socks

New or Used Books, Magazines, DVD's, CD's, workable CD Players, etc.

Batteries

Hey Neil, nice BB gun, not really a .45, more like a 6mm? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could always give him one of these (if hes into this kind of stuff, he will LOVE it), its not cheap though, something around 150$? Dunno, i got mine for free.

KM2000_mit_Scheide.jpeg

Edited by slay

Why not send him one of these.......or one of my 'blades'....:D

305PANERAISUBMERSIIBLEDESTRODUO3.jpg

Neil! I like that 45....and the PAM! I have the SW 45ACP circa1980 and the PAM064! And the blades....got a few of those, too!

My friend probably got all this military stuffs in his collection....if we are all here WATCH Collectors.....he is the GUN/Knife collector....he's got an Armory at home!

Hey Neil, nice BB gun, not really a .45, more like a 6mm?

You're the BB gun guy.......how's yer Ferrari.....dya still have to butter the hips of your g/f to slide her into the passenger seat......she's looking well these days.....and sends her regards and thanks for the 25 Euro you send her each month.....she says it won't be long now.....she's raised enuff money for the operation....just needs a little more for the short term hospital stay and recovery period....looking forward to seeing you soon.....:D

SA400047.jpg

Reading never was one of your great strengths...was it Slayer.....just as making sense isn't either.....I lost interest in toying with you long ago.....but your g/f above says she'll persist......she says you are a man of 'substance'......I tried to tell her that's just what you carry around in a plastic bag in your groin......but I can understand why she persists with you......it's your personality.....it shines like cardboard......B)

Edited by TTK

wow, how long did it take you to make that up in your head? as much time as your dissertation you posted a whiloe ago in the humor forum? :lol:

but back to the bb gun, what purpose did you buy it for? did you think you would make an impression like Walker?:

walker.jpg

If paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper, what beats all 3 at the same time? Answer: Neil the rolex dealer

You know, Neil drinks napalm to quell his heartburn!

Edited by slay