When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first Panerai suggestions

muffle

Trying to decide which model (my first) Panerai to get, problem is which one! Will probably source from Andrew (TT) as I've dealt with him before.

I'm after a plain, clean looking black face (ie. no subs), but am open to suggestions.

Also was thinking of getting a 40mm, but that limits choice, so 44mm's ok as well.

Also I'm after a reliable movement (ETA?)- don't mind paying extra for a watch that'll last.

Give me some ideas? What's your fave Panerai?

Cheers, :rolleyes:

Muffle.

Edited by muffle

I'd suggest either a 111h, or a 112h, as a way of getting into the PAM aesthetic, and following that, I'd then say move up to a 127. I would not advise a 127 to start off with, as, in all honesty, it is a huge watch, and one which someone has to be in the right frame to appreciate. That said, once you do get one, I suspect it would become the regular beater, as it is an incredibly versatile watch (if worn with appropriate strap changes for wardrobe) Best of luck with your decision and purchase :)

.muffle. (Aka Numpty LOL)

You should be able to just search on the 3 digit number, on Andrew or Josh's site. Sometimes they're are prefixed with Pam with a space or no space or Panerai.

Honestly it really does not matter one you get because you soon realise that one is just not ernough. I've only just start collecting and got a 127 to start, I was somewhat niaeve and didn't realise how big it would be. But 4 straps later I now have 3 Pams and just can't seem to stop myself wanting more. You seem to want an Auto beaware they only make up a small percentage of the different Pams. The dealers have just released 3 new Auto's but the lovely Blue one was a limited release but more are expected. I think the 104 ( ithinks that's the one sorry if in wrong). Is an Auto with a Date a Luminor Marina type. Learning the different types is all part of the fun. Just beaware its Very very addictive once you Start. Good luck andlook forward to seeing what you get.

.muffle. (Aka Numpty LOL)

You should be able to just search on the 3 digit number, on Andrew or Josh's site. Sometimes they're are prefixed with Pam with a space or no space or Panerai.

Honestly it really does not matter one you get because you soon realise that one is just not ernough. I've only just start collecting and got a 127 to start, I was somewhat niaeve and didn't realise how big it would be. But 4 straps later I now have 3 Pams and just can't seem to stop myself wanting more. You seem to want an Auto beaware they only make up a small percentage of the different Pams. The dealers have just released 3 new Auto's but the lovely Blue one was a limited release but more are expected. I think the 104 ( ithinks that's the one sorry if in wrong). Is an Auto with a Date a Luminor Marina type. Learning the different types is all part of the fun. Just beaware its Very very addictive once you Start. Good luck andlook forward to seeing what you get.

I just wanted to emhasize this point, as I might not have quite made it clear in my own comment on the 127. If you're someone used to watches of Submariner size, then jumping to a 127 (especially if you wear the sub-size until the 127 arrives, and then immediately swap), it will appear HUGE at first glance. Even going from a 111h to a 127 was a noticeably larger watch. Funnily though, I would say, and other 127 owners might agree with me, it might just be my own observation, but, during the day, once you've got used to the size, it 'settles down', and doesn't appear so big. But, at night, when you look at the dial in the dark, and the luminous markers are almost the width of your wrist, it can appear really big. Don't know if anyone else has noticed that, but I thought I'd just mention it. I don't want to scare you off the 127, it's an amazing watch, and one everyone should have in their collection, (like having a Sub, or an SMP) but, I certainly wouldn't advise it as the first PAM, as the sheer size (on initial viewing) might overpower. Another watch I forgot to mention before, would be the Radiomir 210. Very minimalist and elegant watch :)

a 40 mm 048 was my first pam, than a titanium tobaco brown dial 44mm pam 118.... later the 47mm oto giorni, and the last was a 47mm destro..

now im getting a gen 048...

because I do love panerai. you see - from smallest to the biggest and back to the smallest pam! 40mm is just great on my wr.

Have you considered the rarest of the rare? The ever elusive Panerai Radiomir Tourbillion White dial:

http://www.sedkieq.com/product.php?Brand=3...0&Product=3

Seriously, for PAM reps - especially base - I don't think you can go wrong with a modded watch by Davidsen, The Prince, Angus, etc. Almost perfect out of the box, because IMO - you'll love it at first and then start nit-picking. First comes the cannon pin fix, then superlume, next thing you know you are at that $500 mark and have been without it as it sits on a modders workbench for a week or two.

I'm in love with my 112 from DSN. I've also owned his 005 and 113 at one time or anther. Figure out if you want SS or Ti, then if you like the subdail w/ seconds or not. Then pull the trigger on a 000, 005, 112, 111, 176, 177, etc.

$.02

My old 005:

005.jpg

P1010434.jpg

P1010346.jpg

Old 113:

113Black.jpg

P1010725.jpg

P1010875.jpg

P1010887.jpg

Current 112:

P1060133.jpg

P1060115.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

P1060173.jpg

Watchdude' sphotos are perfect If I were you At the begginin I would prefer the base models of PAM which are 111 112 005 Especially 112 from dvdsen wolud me perfect choise I havea gen 112 and All I can say thta perfect:

resimler065.jpg

When i first looked at PAMs.. i thought they were weird looking - not my style. But I bought a couple out of curiosity. Now its my most worn watch! I always thought ALL PAMs look alike. Subtle differences in the dial, but same unique PAM styling throughout their offerings.

When choosing now, I consider one thing - the case type: polished steel, chrome, titanium, or gold. It makes a huge difference. I don't like polished so that eliminated a lot of my choices.