When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Angus' 111e or 217h. Which one is closer to "perfect"?

RageRover

I can't decide between Angus' 111e or 217h. Both look 99.9% gen to me.

The 111e looks great out of the box. No pinion problems, dial looks perfect, case has thick guard.

217h looks great as well. Only problem I see is the pinion, which would need the longer version.

Anyone have any comments?

Which watch is closer to gen?

Thanks for any help and all comments.

Angus 111E: "A" in Panerai on the face is not correct. fonts are not lumed correctly. crown has too few teeth (48 instead of 60). movement is close but the etching of words in it is not quite sharp enough to name just one issue with it. The AR is a nice purple but not accurate. The crown guard lever is too loose when opened. When winding the crown, you get wind-back. The crown guard lever is flat at the end and should be rounded a bit. Lastly, some find the fonts to be a bit too green depending on the batch. Also, some find the fonts to be a bit to thin overall.

217 Destro: "A" in panerai is not correct. crown guard pin not flat. Lever is loose when opened. H movement fonts are way too blue and large compared to gen--this is the biggest tell in my opinion.

The best answer, i think, is that neither one is really even at 98% to gen right now. If you care a great deal about a gen looking Pam, go with the Angus 111E, get a "B" closed caseback from Angus for 30 bucks, round off the end of the lever a bit, put some glue in the lever pin area to keep lever from being too flimsy, have the AR removed from the crystal, either get a palp/gen crown or file the inside of the crown to match the outside bevel and shave down the teeth a bit (I've done this with great results), and have the sausage dial relumed by a master like Vac or The Zigmeister. This will yield you a 98% rep (perfect excepting the "A" in Panerai issue, the crown wind-back, and if you keep the crown and file it, still only 48 teeth). For the money, i think this is the best you can do right now.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it wasn't what I wanted to hear! :sad2:

I was hopping the dial would be perfect. With the 111e, other then the "A" on the dial, (not counting the lume) how is the rest of the dial? As far as number shape and fonts?

I was considering a closed back like you mentioned (thus making it a Pam001 I believe), so that would take care of any issues with the movement. Although I think the movement looks pretty good. Yes, the engraving is a little off. But they now come with the proper "dagger."

Are there any Panerais with a perfect dial?

The 183 and 210 look good to me, but the case is off (too thick compared to gen).

I like the 111h with the sandwich dial, but the numbers are off.

Other than the 111e or 217, I dont think there is a better Panerai rep.

Thanks again for your help.

DSN's 01D has a dial that is close to perfect. I personally feel that is the best out of box rep on the market right now. There is not movement decoration to worry about since it is closed back, and DSN has fixed most flaws such as cannon pinnion, lume, and sapphire crystal.

Two potential mods would be the crown, which anyone can make an argument is already close to gen. And the AR on the watch is your standard rep blue tint.

I would also recommend a DSN 112, but you have to content with the inaccurate display movement.

I Dont want to hijack this thread but this issue is related to whats going in my mind!!

Im thinking of buying a superlumed Angus 111H, the thing is the " L SWISS MADE L" annoys the hell out of me. DSN 111H got a more accurate "L SWISS MADE L" but the font seems all wrong and its quite more expensive, any other differences between both watches, DSN and Angus 111H?? is the 111E offered by both more accurate??

Thank you in Advance

Not really, no.

DSN's 010D is very good. I was lucky enough to get one of his first generation base white dials, which is slightly more accurate than the current version (the 6 and 9 are slightly less "closed" on the newer version and the "L Swiss Made L" is printed a bit too close to the tick marks on the new dial). Even with those minor flaws, the 010D is still easily one of the most accurate reps out of the box.

Here is a pic of my 010D with the older dial:

DSCF0732.jpg

Here is a pic of DSN's newer dial:

DSC_2199.jpg

Can you see the differences?