When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case questions for the vintage experts....

Justasgood

The crown guards are the biggest drawback. The insides are ok, but the thickness on each side is too much- just like the MBW. Also the top and bottom taper (slope) from the case out to the front of the guards is all wrong. It could be rounded over w/ a file and polished and it would look better. On the bottom of a gen case there is no taper on the bottom of the crown guards, they're relatively flat. Removing metal from the outside of the guards to thin them up would also help- I think Pug did this on his MBW. But heck, you got a 1560 movt in there, that's an accomplishment in itself.

The crown guards are the biggest drawback. The insides are ok, but the thickness on each side is too much- just like the MBW. Also the top and bottom taper (slope) from the case out to the front of the guards is all wrong. It could be rounded over w/ a file and polished and it would look better. On the bottom of a gen case there is no taper on the bottom of the crown guards, they're relatively flat. Removing metal from the outside of the guards to thin them up would also help- I think Pug did this on his MBW. But heck, you got a 1560 movt in there, that's an accomplishment in itself.

The cg mods are the easy/fun part for me. What are your thoughts on the caseback stampings and the bezel teeth?

Thanks.

The case back stampings look ok to me.

Comparing the bezel teeth to my gen 1680, the teeth are cut too far thru to the bezel insert on your 5512. They look softer which is ok. My gen bezel teeth and my WM 1680 both have smooth and well worn bezel teeth which only go 1/2 way into the bezel itself, like your 5513, only softer. But looking at Skeet and Urul- Vintage Rolex Sports Models- most of the bezel teeth appear to be cut thru to the bezel insert- but their pics are those damn computer retouched photos.

From the back, your 5513 looks like the case got wallowed out on the back side when you installed your gen tube- that happened to me on my noob!

The case back stampings look ok to me.

Comparing the bezel teeth to my gen 1680, the teeth are cut too far thru to the bezel insert on your 5512. They look softer which is ok. My gen bezel teeth and my WM 1680 both have smooth and well worn bezel teeth which only go 1/2 way into the bezel itself, like your 5513, only softer. But looking at Skeet and Urul- Vintage Rolex Sports Models- most of the bezel teeth appear to be cut thru to the bezel insert- but their pics are those damn computer retouched photos.

From the back, your 5513 looks like the case got wallowed out on the back side when you installed your gen tube- that happened to me on my noob!

That is due to the eta movement being thicker than the Rolex mov't. That is why I like the new case shown. It has the tube opening centered for the Rolex movement.

I kept breaking stems on my 1560 in the MBW case and I got tired of trying to balance the shims and proper hand stack......so it looks like this new case......although very expensive, will bring my project to a conclusion.

Thanks for the feedback,

Kurt.

So I guess this is a Jewelry and Watch case. If you're going to go to the trouble of putting a 1560 in there, a J&W case certainly makes sense- especially in light of the problems you had w/ the MBW case. It's a very nice watch and you've certainly gone to the highest level- a true franken! Congratulations.

So I guess this is a Jewelry and Watch case. If you're going to go to the trouble of putting a 1560 in there, a J&W case certainly makes sense- especially in light of the problems you had w/ the MBW case. It's a very nice watch and you've certainly gone to the highest level- a true franken! Congratulations.

A who and what?

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/

This is Phong out in Arizona- the Vietnamese connection, so to speak.

So I guess the next question would be, if this isn't a J&W case, where did it come from?

I have been in contact with another member regarding this case and he expressed an interest in getting. At the moment, the supplier lists only 1 in stock. So to be fair, I will reveal the source after hearing from said member as to his intent.

I can say that the case I am getting, cost a fair bit less, and has the proper style bezel insert. It comes with no crown or tube, but I have easy access to those from my source New and in package. Also, it seems that upon closer inspection of the cases at www.jewelryandwatch.com, the spring bar holes look a tad small in diameter. Maybe it's just a bad angle.

Stay tuned and thanks for your insights,

Kurt.