When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona - What would you advise

Rolecs

Hi all,

I asked once again a bit of your knowledge and experience.

I'd like to buy a daytona, what do you advise?

I'd like to have a watch closed to genuine but not too expensive...

Thanks for your help

I saw some daytona with roman number (but I don't even know if there's a gen like that?)

Hi all,

I asked once again a bit of your knowledge and experience.

I'd like to buy a daytona, what do you advise?

I'd like to have a watch closed to genuine but not too expensive...

Thanks for your help

I saw some daytona with roman number (but I don't even know if there's a gen like that?)

HI

Go take a look by KING, she s very kind and hav a very accuratre choice in rolex. i buy 2 buy her, and i very satisfy

good luck,

take pictures when you have it

bye

sylvain

The daytonas look great. They also have major reliability issues. The dealers I speak to have told me not to buy since they cannot guarentee the watch will work month after month. What I would suggest is the new pre daytona or paul neuman daytonas that came out recently with the second at 6 hand frozen. (Joshua/Andrew/Angus) They have a manual movement that is very reliable. The watch may not be a perfect rep in appearance but how many can call out a 30 year old version of the daytona? Come on! These are beautiful, well constructed watches with my preference being the pre daytona with white dial and black bezel. BEAUTIFUL and its reliable!

I agree with Mickey. Unless you like to gamble or feel lucky, I would steer clear of the modern secs at 6 Daytonas. That leaves the vintage models & opens up the dual questions of how much do you consider 'not too expensive' & how close to genuine do you want to go (or are willing to pay for)? You can get some reasonably accurate vintage Daytonas from most of the collectors here for less than $350 (I am partial to the Lemania/Venus-powered manual-wind 62xx models). If you are looking to go up to the next level, Search the Rolex forum for '6263' and my handle.

You be careful to disregard the posts by the above poster, Freddy333- you could end up like me and dangerously tempted to get hooked into his web of horribly addicting Daytonas. Believe me, if you already have this much prediliction about Daytonas, you need to run...not walk...run..away from this thread and not look back. :lol:

Seriously though...the modern Daytona is the best modern Rolex, IMO, and the vintages can be much better.

The Rolex & Watch Repair forums are strewn with stories from very unhappy owners of dead secs at 6 Daytonas, which is why you need to think twice before buying one. From what I have gathered, 4/5ths of these movements go belly-up within 3 months if worn frequently. But if you are lucky -- really, really lucky -- & have the time, money & skills to do a bit of extra-curricular work, they make great pets (this rare & rarely worn 3.5 year old example is still keeping COSC time)

marbles0101.jpg

:band1:

Hi guys,

thanks for your help.

The things is that I really like the Daytona (but not the P Newman).

I have the luck to buy reliable rep, that's really important, and I don't have the capacity and time to repair by myself.

But what should I conclude; Ther's no reliable rep of (actual) daytona? except manual with no sec @6 ?

what do you think of http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1226

Thanks

Edited by Rolecs

Hi guys,

thanks for your help.

The things is that I really like the Daytona (but not the P Newman).

I have the luck to buy reliable rep, that's really important, and I don't have the capacity and time to repair by myself.

But what should I conclude; Ther's no reliable rep of (actual) daytona? except manual with no sec @6 ?

what do you think of http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1226

Thanks

You would be better off buying a genuine branded watch, that pays homage to the Daytona style, than the watch you linked too. In my opinion anyway. That Silix Daytona is really poor.

Has anyone purchased a secs@6 Daytona and removed all the chrono funcions and frozen the other hands aside from the 6 subdial? That would relieve the stress on the movement no? Hopefully make the watch run OK? That's what I would do if it were me.

Cheers ^_^

The Silix Daytona is not very accurate & it does not function the same as the current gen Daytona 116520. But it should run well because its movement is good & reliable.

Your conclusion is right -- there is not a reliable & accurate rep of the current model Daytona (1165xx). If you want reliability AND an accuracy, you will need to buy a gen or you could construct one of the slightly older Daytonas (16520) by sourcing a Zenith El Primero movement (or 1 of the variants), a gen Daytona 16520 case & assemble the watch yourself -- cost $2k-$3k+.

Hi,

What in your opinion is so poor? subdials spacing and seetrough caseback? Or something else?

Sjako.

You would be better off buying a genuine branded watch, that pays homage to the Daytona style, than the watch you linked too. In my opinion anyway. That Silix Daytona is really poor.

Has anyone purchased a secs@6 Daytona and removed all the chrono funcions and frozen the other hands aside from the 6 subdial? That would relieve the stress on the movement no? Hopefully make the watch run OK? That's what I would do if it were me.

Cheers ^_^

Hi,

What in your opinion is so poor? subdials spacing and seetrough caseback? Or something else?

Sjako.

Well that is the problem right there, it just bears no close resemblance to the real deal. You would also have to freeze the 6 subdial, as it would track the hour hand. I like my replicas to have a degree of accuracy....

To be honest I would only buy the vintage Daytonas and in fact I have the DW Daytona with black dial and a PN red dial with Swiss ETA7750, both much nicer than that clear case back version and very accurate.

I have handled modern Daytonas up close and they are very slim and sleek and hug the wrist really well. The secs@6 watches are much thicker than the real deal, there is no modern Daytona that passes for gen, or that is reliable, unless you franken one for a pretty penny (I would love to own one of them!)

If they made a reliable modern Daytona with the right size case etc... with non functioning chronos, but secs@6 I would buy one, but it does not exist.

Chreers ^_^

My advice is to take a trip to your local Rolex AD and try 1 or 2 Daytonas on your wrist. Do not worry that the AD does not have the steel models in stock.......you are just trying to get an overall impression of the model, which will be the same throughout the Daytona line. The purpose here is just to familiarize yourself with the way the watch fits & feels on your wrist & its overall appearance (the glass-like quality of the metal finish, the clarity of the printing on the dial, etc.). Specifically, note the appearance of the caseback and location of the subdials at 3 & 9 relative to the location of the 3 & 9 o'clock index markers. When you get home, go to rolex.com and look at the pictures of the genuine Daytonas again. Then open Silix's site & compare the rep Daytona with the genuine Daytonas. If you have done your homework, you will then begin to see some of the many differences.

If you feel lucky, check out Joshua's Daytonas & compare those to the Silix model.

• 3 months later...

I have had two of the SS Daytona 7750b mobels with seconds at 6, one of which i returned to EL for replacement, the replacement worked for a few months, and now, although still works, the subdial at 9 moves with the time, and not only when chrono is running, which is such a shame, as its almost perfect bar this. The hand in subdial at 9 does reset back to 12 by pushing the bottom reset button, but i would really like to get this fixed. Does anyone know how much this repair would cost? Maybe a pm to The Zigmeister? Not been on here for a while.

Guest Sql_pl
you could construct one of the slightly older Daytonas (16520) by sourcing a Zenith El Primero movement (or 1 of the variants), a gen Daytona 16520 case & assemble the watch yourself -- cost $2k-$3k+.

Uhmm... not really... you may not be up to date with that Freddy.

At least in my case it ended up quite ++++++++++++........

Uhmm... not really... you may not be up to date with that Freddy.

At least in my case it ended up quite ++++++++++++........

The price range I quoted was accurate at the time I wrote that post (January). But, as has been noted numerous times here, prices for anything with the name 'Rolex' on it have been (& continue to be) rising.

We have lots of Daytona experts on the forum, Freddy for example.

I'm not an expert at all, but I wrote a small Daytona guide, which explains the pros and cons of the seconds at '6 version. I believe it'd be a good read for the noobs.

Read it here.

The white dial version is my favorite. Yeah, the case is thicker but it's not really noticeable unless you put the gen and rep side by side (imho). The rep is visually quite good as it is.

7.jpg

The price range I quoted was accurate at the time I wrote that post (January). But, as has been noted numerous times here, prices for anything with the name 'Rolex' on it have been (& continue to be) rising.

I was offered a brand new genuine daytona dial and hand set only this week for $500 only thing I am debating about is its gold! I have a genuine case and movement but stainless steel so gold doesn't really suit me but they are around. just need to be lucky finding the Rolex bits

I was offered a brand new genuine daytona dial and hand set only this week for $500 only thing I am debating about is its gold! I have a genuine case and movement but stainless steel so gold doesn't really suit me but they are around. just need to be lucky finding the Rolex bits

Definitely -- luck & timing is the name of the game. I found a new gen set of steel Daytona hands for my watch several months ago, but I have not seen any more since then.

There has been a rumor floating around of a reliable 6-sec 7750 movement ever since they came out with the Breitling seconds at 3.

Can anyone share some knowledge about the accuracy of this claim? Because it seems like a no-brainer for the factories to make one.

I asked Joshua about this a few months ago and he said yes, but it's in a very early stage, so who knows if and when the improved movement will come out.

Definitely -- luck & timing is the name of the game. I found a new gen set of steel Daytona hands for my watch several months ago, but I have not seen any more since then.

I can get any amount of gen hands/ Winder crowns and some other small bits like crystals etc but cases/movements and dials are a lot more difficult and my source for small bits is limited to how many he can order