When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Vintage (Paul Newman) Model 6263

Terje

Drooling over several members pictures of this model the last few weeks I`ve come to realize that my life will never be complete until I add one to my collection. I`ve been trying to read up on all the 6263 threads in here and have to admit I`m more than a little confused by all the different movements and whatnots. Anyhow, can somebody point me in the right direction. Where should I look if I want a decent out-of-the-box 6263?

I `ve looked at Perfect Clones and their new and improved version. Is perhaps that the way to go?

1.jpg

Thanks in advance. I`ve learned so much in the few weeks I`ve been a member here.

That version is not accurate at all but the price is ok I guess. Upgrade your membership as in the supporters area there are contact details for DW or David Wong who provides pretty much 1:1 cases for these watches. Warning:Not cheap though!

"That version is not accurate at all". Could you be a little more specific?

I was hoping to stay in this price range ($200-$300). Is there anything better out there for that price? I do of course realize that it`s not unusual to spend many times that price on modding this model to "perfection", but I`m first of all interested in a version as decent as possible at a price within my budget.

Hey, look for my thread on the DW newman that I bought. I got one for my friend too, but he doesn't like it so ill be putting it up for sale on here next week. The DW cases are the only ones with assymetrically placed pushers. They come in 2 versions, one with v72 and most accurate and the other with 7750 which has a little different subdial spacing.

Just keep reading up on it before you make a decision

Most vintage Daytona reps use either a standard self-winding Asian 7750 or manual-wind Lemania/Venus movement. Between the 2, the latter is probably the better choice since the gen watches were manual-wind. But the vintage gen Daytonas all had what are known as an asymmetrical pusher layout, meaning the 2 pushers were unevenly spaced relative to the crown that lies between them

comparing_pusher_spacing.jpg

So no matter how accurate the watch is otherwise, having symmetrical (evenly spaced) pushers is a sure give-away that the watch is a rep to anyone familiar with Daytonas (a very small subset of the general population). However, if you are willing to pay more, you can purchase a rep from DW that has the correct asymmetrical pushers. You can check his Daytona ad in the Supporters Trade Area (you must be a Supporter to access this section of RWG) or contact him through his ioffer store.

Fredy, did your dw case fit the movement wihout issues?

Heard that dw sometimes delivers good cases but sometimes dont.

What you heard is correct. My 1st DW was a nightmare & the 2nd was a relative breeze (you should be able to search the numerous threads I posted that detail the construction details & problems with these watches). I do not think the factory that makes the cases has very good quality control. These kits are NOT for the faint of heart.

quote =

What you heard is correct. My 1st DW was a nightmare & the 2nd was a relative breeze (you should be able to search the numerous threads I posted that detail the construction details & problems with these watches). I do not think the factory that makes the cases has very good quality control. These kits are NOT for the faint of heart.

/quote

Imho, for 900 bucks the case shoud be absolutely perfect. (and should include a bracelet, dial, hands etc)

There might be $25 or $50 difference in the production cost for one of these cases vs a regular ST19/Venus 175 clone case. Once tooling is set up, they can crank them out like Twinkies.

I got one of the PN Daytonas with a Russian Poljot/Valjoux 7733 clone about 5 years back and it is a little bit smaller than the current replicas with a ST/Venus 175 clone etc...it is the same size as a genuine Daytona. Next time I look at it, I will check the pusher spacing.

I have seen them go for $1000 or more. Unbelievable.

I have a Seagull ST19/Venus 175 chronograph and it has held up just fine so I guess they are more or less OK.

Anyone sees a Daytona on a bum like me is going to think it's fake anyway... :p

Edited by Jimmythree

Since Freddie is posting all these vintage Daytonas i am feeling an itch... and now i need one too. This would be my favorite version...

P1000977.jpg

Ahhh, yes...definitely one of my favorites as well...

264232-4857.jpg